Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

15 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

are people that dense that they dont understand why these questions are asked?

TO GAUGE THEIR REACTION, DO THEY FREAK OUT ON THE ASKER? DO THEY KEEP THEIR COMPOSITION WHEN PRESSED ON A SENSITIVE SUBJECT? 

Jesus people, really? 

Pick something else to ask.  That is such a dated series of questions.  You can get the reactions you want from other questions, these are not acceptable nowadays.  Asking those questions for a football player...absolutely no need for it.  

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm starting to like you.  Not as much as Jauronimo, but you have your points.

now i'm hurt that you didn't like me before.  not as hurt as if someone asked me if i was gay or if my mom was a hooker, but hurt.

17 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

are people that dense that they dont understand why these questions are asked?

TO GAUGE THEIR REACTION, DO THEY FREAK OUT ON THE ASKER? DO THEY KEEP THEIR COMPOSITION WHEN PRESSED ON A SENSITIVE SUBJECT? 

Jesus people, really? 

Do you think NFL teams are actually going to make a decision about a player based on how he responds to a dumb question? Come to think of it the average NFL front office is incredibly dumb and it wouldn't surprise me if some team actually thinks this matters.

Football is not just business, but BIG, BIG business. Any question, that helps a GM/team understand a player more is fair game. IMHO, the fact that Guice is so sensative about this line of question, to me, is a kinda of a red flag. 

• Sad 1

I think it's inappropriate to ask those questions.

I also think it was stupid for the player to run to the media (bad sign).

Lastly, I wonder if his mom is hot.

UPDATE:  No ... she is not hot.  And if she is a prostitute, my guess is that she is broke.  And her name is Beulah.

Beulah?  Beulah?  Anyone ... anyone?

Edited by Gugny
UPDATE

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I actually disagree... I think it has quite a bit to do with team dynamic, media coverage, overall personality, etc... Whether or not it's ethical, I definitely see why teams ask the question. 

Look at what happened with Michael Sam. It was a media circus. Imagine as a team you invest a 1st round pick in a guy and then that comes out and you have a huge distraction to deal with. I think the reason it's easy to say "how dare they ask that question" is because we assume they're asking due to their own personal bias (which could be the case), as opposed to asking in order to know all the angles of a person who they have to give an honest evaluation of. 

I'm not saying these two examples are the same, but imagine if they were to ask Jameis Winston about the rape accusation. We wouldn't think that was out of line because it is something that they potentially have to deal with later. The same is here (minus the negativity and criminality of course), they're covering bases as it is their job to do so. Just like I am sure Josh Rosen was asked all about his rich family. 

If they don’t know if they are gay or not they need to do more research. It has nothing to do with learning if they are gay. They know everything about these prospects. It’s about trying to get a rise out of them. There is no place for that line of questioning in a professional setting.

The Jameis question is different because it was out there. It says a lot about the person. If Guice responded “yes” to being gay or having a prostitute mother what changes for the team?

16 minutes ago, teef said:

not me.  i go straight for the real questions.  

teef:  hi...it's nice to meet you.  i'm teef.

interviewee...hi.  nice to meet you.

teef:  so...have you ever felt another man's testicles on your backside, or does you're mother accept money in return for sexual favors?

just get it all out there.  ya know?

You can joke about it, which is fine. The world has become too sensitive about everything. 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Do you think NFL teams are actually going to make a decision about a player based on how he responds to a dumb question? Come to think of it the average NFL front office is incredibly dumb and it wouldn't surprise me if some team actually thinks this matters.

it could certainly help factor into a decision about a questionable player, are they easily unhinged? 

I don't understand why some on this board cannot comprehend how a players response to something like this reveals a glimpse into someones character or attitude/makeup 

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think it's inappropriate to ask those questions.

I also think it was stupid for the player to run to the media (bad sign).

Lastly, I wonder if his mom is hot.

Completely agree with the first 2 thoughts lol... 

Public or not, those questions are none of any employers concern.

Edited by SmokinES3

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If they don’t know if they are gay or not they need to do more research. It has nothing to do with learning if they are gay. They know everything about these prospects. It’s about trying to get a rise out of them. There is no place for that line of questioning in a professional setting.

The Jameis question is different because it was out there. It says a lot about the person. If Guice responded “yes” to being gay or having a prostitute mother what changes for the team?

Well (and I have no idea about Guice being gay or not) if he doesn't answer, or lies, or is cagey about it, doesn't that say something about where he's at? I understand that it's a fine line to tread (and I really don't know the legality of such a question in such a context) but it isn't like sexual orientation is an isolated part of a person's life that affects no other arena... It's important to know how that affects him as a person, and how it will affect the team around him. 

Well, we have yet to see an openly gay nfl player succeed in the NFL. I think it's definitely a thing that a team would need to talk about. Now, If you can prove that said team chose not to draft him because he said he is gay, then that's a different thing. 

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

You can joke about it, which is fine. The world has become too sensitive about everything. 

that's honestly how i go about dialogue.  i have trouble making friends.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yea the Jameis accusation was about a potential criminal offense too.  Being gay is not a criminal offense.  

I am an atheist and don't really make any secret of the fact but if someone asked me in a job interview about my religious views I'd refuse to answer as well.  Religion, sexuality, politics, my parents sexual history.... none of it is relevant or appropriate in a job interview.  I wouldn't answer any of those questions.  

• Like (+1) 2

These teams are investing a lot of money in a player they need to know how they will react to certain situations had to go through the same thing when I entered the military years ago talking about your mother Etc

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

but it isn't like sexual orientation is an isolated part of a person's life that affects no other arena... It's important to know how that affects him as a person, and how it will affect the team around him.

Why isn't it.  Nobody I work with knows anything about my sex life, my dating life or anything else that is frankly none of their business.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Well (and I have no idea about Guice being gay or not) if he doesn't answer, or lies, or is cagey about it, doesn't that say something about where he's at? I understand that it's a fine line to tread (and I really don't know the legality of such a question in such a context) but it isn't like sexual orientation is an isolated part of a person's life that affects no other arena... It's important to know how that affects him as a person, and how it will affect the team around him. 

Well, we have yet to see an openly gay nfl player succeed in the NFL. I think it's definitely a thing that a team would need to talk about. Now, If you can prove that said team chose not to draft him because he said he is gay, then that's a different thing. 

These teams know the grades these guys got on a 7th grade spelling test. If they don’t know their sexual orientation by the combine the entire scouting department should be fired. They aren’t learning about guys at the combine.