Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

Just now, JohnC said:

What state are you describing here? What does asking someone of their sexuality or about their mothers prove? 

are people that dense that they dont understand why these questions are asked?

TO GAUGE THEIR REACTION, DO THEY FREAK OUT ON THE ASKER? DO THEY KEEP THEIR COMPOSITION WHEN PRESSED ON A SENSITIVE SUBJECT? 

Jesus people, really? 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Getting under your skin is one thing, asking if you like men or your mom is a prostitute, is something else.  If you can't do the former without the latter, like I said you need to get out more.

Why? Do you know how many racist letters Bills players get from Bills fans. Fans are the problem, not the questions being asked.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It comes up every year and is way out of line. I would walk out of that interview. That has nothing to do with anything.

So would I and then I'd absolutely name and shame who it was who asked as well.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PaattMaann said:

are people that dense that they dont understand why these questions are asked?

TO GAUGE THEIR REACTION, DO THEY FREAK OUT ON THE ASKER? DO THEY KEEP THEIR COMPOSITION WHEN PRESSED ON A SENSITIVE SUBJECT? 

Jesus people, really? 

Are you aware that you are the one freaking out? You would have flunked the test for maintaining one's composure under pressure. I asked a simple question about which state was involved. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JohnC said:

Are you aware that you are the one freaking out? You would have flunked the test for maintaining one's composure under pressure. I asked a simple question about which state was involved. 

lol, and thaaaaatttt was the point 

I wonder if they ask about religion? 

I don't know how it works legally, but this isn't technically a job interview since they are not offering a job afterwards... I assume there would be a different regulations. 

As far as the players go, I'm not sure why this is upsetting? You either are and it's a secret (which is why they're asking, because secrets are, as a rule, not great), or you are and it's not a secret, in which case who cares, or you aren't and it doesn't matter. 

I don't know why a player feels like this is more an invasion of privacy than any other question asked. 

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Most people do ask if they are married, have children. 

not me.  i go straight for the real questions.  

teef:  hi...it's nice to meet you.  i'm teef.

interviewee...hi.  nice to meet you.

teef:  so...have you ever felt another man's testicles on your backside, or does you're mother accept money in return for sexual favors?

just get it all out there.  ya know?

• Haha (+1) 1

I would tell them to not draft me and walk out.  What they do with their lives is their business not the NFL teams or the fans.  Not okay at all.  Disgusted that some fans think that is fine.  Get your nose out of other people's lives.  The media needs to do the same and let the players live without a spotlight on their heads 24/7.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

not me.  i go straight for the real questions.  

teef:  hi...it's nice to meet you.  i'm teef.

interviewee...hi.  nice to meet you.

teef:  so...have you ever felt another man's testicles on your backside, or does you're mother accept money in return for sexual favors?

just get it all out there.  ya know?

I'm starting to like you.  Not as much as Jauronimo, but you have your points.

Just now, Steptide said:

Who cares? You wanna pay me potentially millions of dollars to play in the NFL, you can ask me whatever you want, and I'll gladly answer whatever youd like to ask 

That's precisely why it's a useless thing to do at best. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Dorsey asked Mayfield if he likes food trucks. 

Wha?

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It comes up every year and is way out of line. I would walk out of that interview. That has nothing to do with anything.

I actually disagree... I think it has quite a bit to do with team dynamic, media coverage, overall personality, etc... Whether or not it's ethical, I definitely see why teams ask the question. 

Look at what happened with Michael Sam. It was a media circus. Imagine as a team you invest a 1st round pick in a guy and then that comes out and you have a huge distraction to deal with. I think the reason it's easy to say "how dare they ask that question" is because we assume they're asking due to their own personal bias (which could be the case), as opposed to asking in order to know all the angles of a person who they have to give an honest evaluation of. 

I'm not saying these two examples are the same, but imagine if they were to ask Jameis Winston about the rape accusation. We wouldn't think that was out of line because it is something that they potentially have to deal with later. The same is here (minus the negativity and criminality of course), they're covering bases as it is their job to do so. Just like I am sure Josh Rosen was asked all about his rich family.