Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I don't know that it's as cut and dried as you're making it out to be.  A job offer cannot be extended by the team.

And again, you can't ignore the fact that players are demanding an official NFL social advocacy platform for their beliefs.  Teams have a right to know what those beliefs are.

If I were a player I'd walk out on the interview.  Not someone I'd want to work for and clearly Guice felt the same

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

If I were a player I'd walk out on the interview.  Not someone I'd want to work for and clearly Guice felt the same

That's his right, and yours.

If I were an owner I'd tell players to market their beliefs on their own time, and their own dime.

5 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

When asked that question (homosexual) in the movie "Stripes"... Harold Ramis... "No, but we would be willing to learn".

Winger:  "Yeah, would they send us some place special?"

4 hours ago, teef said:

oh yeah.  it's an absurd question.  the main reason i'd kid around about it is mostly because it's how i handle awkward situations.  

Nice.  First thing that came to my mind on the "Is your mother a prostitute?" question was....................

Pull out my phone, hit Call Mom, hand the phone to the interviewer, and say "It's ringing, ask her yourself".

3 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

That's his right, and yours.

If I were an owner I'd tell players to market their beliefs on their own time, and their own dime.

The media is the one that brings the two together.  That's the problem.  The players should be able to post and say what they want on social media.  Fans way overreact to someone else's personal life as if they have any right to judge.  Media needs to stop reporting details on players lives.  

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'm not sure what you're having trouble with, the NFL scouts/staff are giving them Psychological evaluations is what I just said that is what's similar.

Im having a difficult time understanding why a 21yo RB who is all but guaranteed to be a well compensated professional athlete next season would require or be administered a similar psychological evaluation as that of a future law enforcement agent? Moreover, why would they/should they tolerate similar or be conditioned for such testing...

6 minutes ago, FrankoElTanko said:

Im having a difficult time understanding why a 21yo RB who is all but guaranteed to be a well compensated professional athlete next season would require or be administered a similar psychological evaluation as that of a future law enforcement agent? Moreover, why would they/should they tolerate similar or be conditioned for such testing...

To test your reaction? See what your answer is? My guess and it's only a guess is that these players will be going in front of the media and in front of cameras , it will be unscripted, maybe to gauge how they'd answer questions that were off the wall. I'm not saying I agree with it but the NFL is a different animal.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It all becomes very relevant when part of what the players are demanding from teams is a platform for social advocacy.  If your goal is to use your job as a platform to push your belief system, your employer has every right to know what you'll be wanting to use their brand to sell.

Don't you think it's a little naive to believe that questions asked that way in a 15 minute interview have anything to do with "what you'll be wanting to use their brand to sell"?  I mean, is he gonna sell his momma, really, teams might think that? 

Agree or disagree with the questions themselves, most here seem to think they are designed to elicit a reaction and see what it is, not to actually gather info.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Regarding the gay question, I would calmly point out that it is an inappropriate question to ask and that the NFL had banned teams from doing so.  Regarding the question about the mom, I would calmly state that if you insinuate anything about my mother I will come right over the table and you can find out just how much violence I can bring to the field.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I skipped ahead, so maybe this was discussed. I was shocked (and disappointed) at the results of a quick Google search regarding protected classes. Sexual orientation is indeed a protected class in some respects (such as housing and federal employment), and it can be against company policy (and often is, such as with the NFL).  But it can also be permissible in some employment situations. 

Is that correct? Does anyone know or have you found something different? If that’s in fact true, it seems we need to tighten things up a bit. 

Oh, and it’s stupid regardless....

I think it should only be against the law for gov't positions, private companies IMO should be able to ask whatever they want, it's their money.

I don't see the need for any more "tightening up", we already have way too much of that in this country.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Steptide said:

Who cares? You wanna pay me potentially millions of dollars to play in the NFL, you can ask me whatever you want, and I'll gladly answer whatever youd like to ask 

You may not care, but it doesn't make it any less illegal or inappropriate.

1 hour ago, T-Bomb said:

I think it should only be against the law for gov't positions, private companies IMO should be able to ask whatever they want, it's their money.

I don't see the need for any more "tightening up", we already have way too much of that in this country.

I fully understand what you’re saying. I too prefer to keep the government out of things as much as possible, but here I respectfully disagree. 

How do you feel about the other protected classes? Should we dump them too? 

I’m not sure this is the place for these topics, so I may bail out depending upon how things go. No disrespect, and not running away. Just trying to play by the rules. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

This isn't an issue of political correctness or associated with any party or political leanings. At this time and place it is such a stupid and ignorant thing to ask someone. What makes this situation even more foolish is that this particular interview situation in the NFL has happened before and has drawn a scathing response, as it should. Sometimes there are novel situations where people don't know how to act and their intentions weren't intended to be offensive.  This wasn't the case, or at least it shouldn't have been. 

A well written response - hard to believe some of the other responses or lack of understanding of the law.

I think maybe we are being unfair. Maybe that coach is just lonely.

As for the is your mother a prostitute question, I would want the player who broke his nose.

That is a fair response. Mom a hooker? Break your nose. A fair, proportional reply. So like, don't beat the hell out of him, Just a nice clean well executed single punch targeted successfully to break his nose.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

6 minutes ago, Dalton said:

A well written response - hard to believe some of the other responses or lack of understanding of the law.

The alleged questions asked were against the NFL established rules. That's not debatable; that's a fact. But this goes beyond the law. It enters into the realm of utter stupidity. The work place and the world have evolved. The problem with dealing with ignorant people (referring to interviewer/s involved) is that they are too stupid to recognize and understand how ignorant they are. For some ignorance is bliss. 

• Like (+1) 1

In todays news cycle and click baiting I completely understand the question.  Who talks to the press?  Who keeps things in house?  I think its a fair question to ask when every players agent is giving them cliche answers.  

59 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The work place and the world have evolved. The problem with dealing with ignorant people (referring to interviewer/s involved) is that they are too stupid to recognize and understand how ignorant they are. For some ignorance is bliss.

Welp, that take smells of a progressive who lives in fantasy land and not reality...  The left really has to stop it with the "whoever disagrees with me is just racist, transphobic, yadda", then somehow finding their way to NAZI in like 20.3 milliseconds"...

• Like (+1) 2