Reasons why we shouldn’t trade off our draft picks.

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

So overpaying a 30yr old RB on his last legs is a sign in the right direction? I think this front office has a good feel for defensive talent but so far on the offensive side of the ball they have showed that there offensive acumen is lacking at best.

From putting Tyrod in the wrong offense to stripping him away of proper weapons and the worst thing putting Tolbert at #2 bk when in his prime he wasn't even thought of as a #2 back i mean it took him 11yrs to be a #2 back, smh. Last but not least passing on Mahomes and Watson was a humongous mistake that we can possibly dreading for yrs to come. Oh yea plus trading up Lame Jones when there was way better Wrs later in the draft.  These moves on the offensive side of the ball have proven to be futile at best. 

So with that glowing take on the front offices building abilities, you trust them to mortgage essentially our entire future in 5 +/- draft picks and put it all on the shoulders of a college kid? Good qbs can be found outside of the draft

• Thank you (+1) 1

So a few things. In the NFL you basically have two options which is to build a complete team like the Vikings did and hope either a QB falls in your lap or a fringe guy like Keenum fits your system and is gold. The other option is to try and find an elite QB who would set your franchise for 10-15 years. Both can be pathways for success but the complete team thing offer 5-7 years of window at best before free agency and age takes your roster apart whereas while finding a QB is much harder and riskier it offers a far greater and more sustainable path if you can get a solid enough guy. Additionally have a competent coach who can get the most out of his players is another factor. McD took over a squad which truthfull was 6-10 talent wise and made the playoffs (yes they got some luck I know), whereas Rex couldn't take an insanely talented 2015 roster past 8-8. So how much your coach can do for your team also is a factor in how you build it.

The Bills have been trying the team thing for quite a while and you've seen the results from it. Now I think McD would be able to maximize the roster far better then previous coaches have and I wouldn't be surprised if their model mimics what the Vikings have done. At the same token the Bills have drafted exactly 3 QBs in the first 3 rounds over the last 2 decades (JP, Trent, & EJ) and never have tried a move to grab a QB up top and in general really have been trigger shy at that position.

Before the season but after the trades I would've said build the roster and use every pick you can to go the Minnesota way. But after the season my mind has changed completely. McD proved for the most part he can manage a C- talented defense and make them decently functional plus even if we move up he still can add players in FA & the draft that are too his liking so he will have more talent. With that this draft presents one of the few times you may be able to get as high as 2-3-4th overall pick because the teams there have QBs. Philadelphia made a massive gamble going for Wentz but it paid off in roses this season. Even if they would've lost in the divisional round the season still would've been a success for them and the Wentz trade would still look great. At some point you have to pull the trigger and this year Buffalo could do that while still having picks both in this years draft and 2019 which typically isn't the case.

After last season I believe enough in McD that if the Bills go for their guy he will be able to manage the defense well despite maybe not getting as many players in and the team can be competitive. If they move up and the QB is a success your talking about one heck of a team. If it fails McD showed he can manage with average to below average QB play and survive. I understand your thoughts on why not to move up and if they don't I wouldn't necessarily be upset more just disappointed to not take a potential chance this year.

Edited by corta765

38 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

How many DTs have carried their teams on their back to a super bowl?

Not so many. The Bills do obviously need to address the qb position. They should have done so time and time again. I was under the impression that this was a given.

Edited by Bill from NYC

13 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

So with that glowing take on the front offices building abilities, you trust them to mortgage essentially our entire future in 5 +/- draft picks and put it all on the shoulders of a college kid? Good qbs can be found outside of the draft

I never said i trust these guys just yet . 

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Trading up for a QB ... IS building through the draft.

People want to pretend it's not. It is. It's the best way to build through the draft, provided you get the right guy, of course.

The bottom line is that it's this simple. If you don't have a franchise QB, getting one is your number one priority. Same with about 17 other clubs at any given time. So if you have a chance to get one, you take it.

Exactly,

A good run team needs to build around a solid QB first without one it just doesn't matter. Do what you have to do to get one this year.

It should have been done last year but I am ok with how they built up this draft capital to get ammo to get it done this year. 

IMO use the draft capital this year for the QB and continue to clean up the roster with a FA or two while dumping a few others, use this year to clean and get that QB. Next year draft the BPA and fill in with top FAs because of all the money available after the cleaning.

I am all in on this staff if they put QB at top of list to get otherwise this staff looks no different then years past waiting for a franchise worthy QB to fall from the sky while using other teams backups as a starting QB. You go draft a better QB or you get fired, it's that simple in this QB driven league IMO.

A QB will make or break a staff. Tyrod has broke every OC he had while getting a full staff fired as well.

Edited by xRUSHx

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

What if next year's Quarterback class isn't any good?  Do we just push the decision off until 2020?

Drafting a Quarterback high is ALWAYS going to hurt.

Either we will be drafting too low and will need to give up a kings ransom to move up... OR we will have to suffer through a terrible season to get into the Top 5.  And no matter what you do, there will always be safer players available.  The QB prospects will always have flaws that make them risky.  There will always be "other holes" on the roster that need to be fixed.

Excellent points here. Yeah, there will always be holes on a roster that could be improved. Roster turnover being what it is, you've got to continue finding starting talent every year. And most of the time picking the safer to project positions isn't drastically improving the team's W-L record.

Yet, the fastest way to consistently winning 10+ games a year is still finding your QB. Middling around drafting other positions when you've got a glaring issue at QB isn't going to transform this team into a 1 or 2 seed in the AFC. 

Going deep into the playoffs is the goal. And now you've got your perennial top AFC teams seeing their elite QBs getting older. NE isn't going to feature Brady forever. Roethlisberger has hinted at retirement in the next few years. Rivers is 37 this year. Where the AFC was strong 5 years ago, it's not so much now. 

The time to go for it is now if they deem one of the top prospects is their guy.

Edited by BillsVet

You can not be serious, we traded out of 10 last year so we could be in position to have draft capital to get a QB in this draft class. I guess the Bills were not sold on Mahomes and Watson. You could draft Similar players like a Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Cornelus Bennett, Shane Conlan, Leonard Smith and a Will Wolford In this draft. If you did all that you would still be no where or further a head.  you could have a all- star team at every position and it would not matter. Until this team get serious and drafts a Franchise QB nothing else matters. You live and die by how good your QB play is. If you put Tom Brady on the Browns they would make the playoffs. Do you know how many games the Browns lost last year by 7 points or less. Look at the teams that made the play offs last year. Do you see something that is different then the non play off teams. I see teams with good QB's or Good Qb play. So lets stop pretending and lets get in the game and get a real QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

One reason that makes all of those reasons pointless.  The bills have been the worst passing offense by yards for the past 15 years.  In that same stretch, only 3 teams have scored less passing touchdowns then the Bills.  Get the QB while you can and THEN worry about filling holes.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, BillsMafia13 said:

As others have stated, lack of DTs allowed Blake the great to rush for 90 yards and beat us.  So it could stop us from making the superbowl

Perhaps if our garbo QB had been able to accumulate more than 150 yards and ZERO TD, that wouldn't have been an issue.

Lousy take. Try harder.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Not so many. The Bills do obviously need to address the qb position. They should have done so time and time again. I was under the impression that this was a given.

Apparently not, given some of these utterly ridiculous threads.

Another thing is, this draft is really rich at positions of need. We could probably add 3-4 key pieces to our front seven if we play our cards correctly.

35 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

You can not be serious, we traded out of 10 last year so we could be in position to have draft capital to get a QB in this draft class. I guess the Bills were not sold on Mahomes and Watson. You could draft Similar players like a Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Cornelus Bennett, Shane Conlan, Leonard Smith and a Will Wolford In this draft. If you did all that you would still be no where or further a head.  you could have a all- star team at every position and it would not matter. Until this team get serious and drafts a Franchise QB nothing else matters. You live and die by how good your QB play is. If you put Tom Brady on the Browns they would make the playoffs. Do you know how many games the Browns lost last year by 7 points or less. Look at the teams that made the play offs last year. Do you see something that is different then the non play off teams. I see teams with good QB's or Good Qb play. So lets stop pretending and lets get in the game and get a real QB. 

I think a good QB will be there when we pick or within striking distance without having to give up too much. It's possible we get our QB and rebuild our front seven entirely.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Perhaps if our garbo QB had been able to accumulate more than 150 yards and ZERO TD, that wouldn't have been an issue.

Lousy take. Try harder.

I was just playing devils advocate and countering your lousy redundant take.  Not really a news flash qb is more important than DL, but saying " we need a qb more so lets do that" is as productive as saying crime is bad.  Thanks for breaking news Cronkite 

17 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I was just playing devils advocate and countering your lousy redundant take.  Not really a news flash qb is more important than DL, but saying " we need a qb more so lets do that" is as productive as saying crime is bad.  Thanks for breaking news Cronkite 

My take is the correct take, whether you agree with it or not. Next year's QB class is HOT GARBAGE. Look into it. There can be no more excuses or delay.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

My take is the correct take, whether you agree with it or not. Next year's QB class is HOT GARBAGE. Look into it. There can be no more excuses or delay.

Haha your opinion is the correct opinion?  Ill just pack my bags now sorry. Btw you dont need to draft a qb to find a starter, we could pay for one in FA and still get 4 rookie starters on rookie contracts if they play their cards right.  Your dream qb could still bust out leaving us dead in the water for another 3 years, but that could never happen because your'e never wrong.  Im surprised with 34,000 posts NFL owners dont have you on speed dial for advice

• Like (+1) 1