List of 2018 Pro Days

Just now, NewEraBills said:

Agreed.  I think the biggest issue for him is why does he look like a different guy in shorts?  DJ mentioned this as well.  Allen looks phenomenal in shorts but why is it that when you watch game tape you see some of it but then you just see a lot of stuff that frustrates the hell out of you.  That's my biggest fear with Allen.  Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde QB.

He needs to sit and develop. 

I don't think he's a guy you trade up for.  If he gets past Denver, he could fall to 12.  Same with Rosen but for different reasons. I could see Darnold go 1, Mayfield 3, then Denver taking Rosen or Allen, and then 1 of those 2 dropping.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

You'd never think this was a guy who struggled to throw for 300 yards against that level of competition. Twice in 26 games he accomplished this "feat." Was surprised to see he was 9/19 for 92 yards against those world beaters known as Hawaii. Those are Tyrod Taylor type of numbers. I think he'll be the next Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Blake Bortles, etc. Guys with all the desired check marks, but players that don't have the brain that makes the game easy.

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

You'd never think this was a guy who struggled to throw for 300 yards against that level of competition. Twice in 26 games he accomplished this "feat." Was surprised to see he was 9/19 for 92 yards against those world beaters known as Hawaii. Those are Tyrod Taylor type of numbers. I think he'll be the next Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Blake Bortles, etc. Guys with all the desired check marks, but players that don't have the brain that makes the game easy.

This argument drives me crazy.  Do people not understand the caliber of player that he was playing WITH, not just against?

I watched the tape, his team was horrible.  Especially the interior Oline.  Constant pressure right up the middle.  Tough for any QB to succeed.  

I find the kid very intriguing.  We need to come away with one of these top 4 prospects, IMO

12 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

This argument drives me crazy.  Do people not understand the caliber of player that he was playing WITH, not just against?

I watched the tape, his team was horrible.  Especially the interior Oline.  Constant pressure right up the middle.  Tough for any QB to succeed.  

I find the kid very intriguing.  We need to come away with one of these top 4 prospects, IMO

Did you also watch the numerous times he bailed from a clean pocket? For argument's sake, let's put another QB in Allen's position, under the same circumstances, playing with and against that level of competition. How do you think Aaron Rodgers would fare? Let's go for a player with a closer parallel - how did Carson Wentz fare? 

"Josh Allen's teammates sucked, so he sucked" is not an argument that holds water with me. The great ones shine like a flashlight in a room full of darkness.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Agreed.  I think the biggest issue for him is why does he look like a different guy in shorts?  DJ mentioned this as well.  Allen looks phenomenal in shorts but why is it that when you watch game tape you see some of it but then you just see a lot of stuff that frustrates the hell out of you.  That's my biggest fear with Allen.  Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde QB.

In all seriousness, when was the last time a highly athletic college QB didn't look good at their pro day?

EJ, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Kyle Boller, Josh Freeman, etc - they all looked great at their pro day. 

I'll never understand how scripted throws against no defense have any bearing on a QBs draft projection. It doesn't make any sense to me. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Did you also watch the numerous times he bailed from a clean pocket? For argument's sake, let's put another QB in Allen's position, under the same circumstances, playing with and against that level of competition. How do you think Aaron Rodgers would fare? Let's go for a player with a closer parallel - how did Carson Wentz fare? 

I think Wentz is a good comp but South Dakota St was rarely outclassed as much as Wyoming.  I mean compare the teams they played.

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

In all seriousness, when was the last time a highly athletic college QB didn't look good at their pro day?

EJ, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Kyle Boller, Josh Freeman, etc - they all looked great at their pro day. 

I'll never understand how scripted throws against no defense have any bearing on a QBs draft projection. It doesn't make any sense to me. 

It doesn't make sense to me either, but it always happens.  Someone is going to think they can mold the clay.  I don't want that to be us, but someone is going to reach and take him.

Just now, NewEraBills said:

It doesn't make sense to me either, but it always happens.  Someone is going to think they can mold the clay.  I don't want that to be us, but someone is going to reach and take him.

Yup. It literally happens every year. 

Every year a QB who is 6'5, 230 with mobility and a rocket arm goes in round 1, and four years later they're considered a bust. 

For whatever reason, scouts ignore the game tape and get drunk on a player's physical tools and it always ends in disaster. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

Yup. It literally happens every year. 

Every year a QB who is 6'5, 230 with mobility and a rocket arm goes in round 1, and four years later they're considered a bust. 

For whatever reason, scouts ignore the game tape and get drunk on a player's physical tools and it always ends in disaster. 

Like Matthew Stafford?

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

I think Wentz is a good comp but South Dakota St was rarely outclassed as much as Wyoming.  I mean compare the teams they played.

2017 University of Wyoming
Football Schedule

Sept. 2 at Iowa TBA TBA
Sept. 9 GARDNER-WEBB
Sept. 16 OREGON
Sept. 23 HAWAI’I
Sept. 30 TEXAS STATE
Oct. 7 BYE Week
Oct. 14 at Utah State
Oct. 21 at Boise State
Oct. 28 NEW MEXICO (Homecoming)
Nov. 4 COLORADO STATE
Nov. 11 at Air Force
Nov. 18 FRESNO STATE
Nov. 25 at San Jose State
Dec. 2 Mountain West Championship Game

Scary schedule right there. You're making excuses for the kid. He played ho hum against lesser competition and like absolute garbage when he faced power 5 teams. I can't tell you for certain if he'll work out in the National Football League, no one can, but history suggests he won't. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Scary schedule right there. You're making excuses for the kid. He played ho hum against lesser competition and like absolute garbage when he faced power 5 teams. I can't tell you for certain if he'll work out in the National Football League, no one can, but history suggests he won't. 

Ok, now show me south dakota st's schedule and all the power 5 teams Wentz played

Wentz had some strong players in his program as NDSU won 3 championships before the 2 he won as a starter.  And they have won one since.  Can't compare the programs.

Allen will need to watch and learn for a year my guess.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yikes. Two decent teams and a bunch of cupcakes. 

If you put someone like Cam Newton on Wyoming last year (the Allen supporters seem to like this comparison), Newton doesn't struggle against that schedule. 

Cam Newton played with zero NFL talent in the SEC and ran the table to a National Championship.

Allen was just a guy in the Mountain West.