Jordan Matthews not coming back

I listened to his interview with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller on XM this evening. Here is what I took away from it:

1. He had multiple surgeries this off-season.

2. He really liked his time in Buffalo.

3. He LOVES McD.

4. Credits the Bills' medical folks with getting him the proper diagnosis on his ankle/knee.

5. He is a newlywed, and his wife is a professional soccer player in DC. They are expecting a baby soon.

6. Realizes that he is hitting free agency at an inopportune time given the recent injuries.

7. Hopes teams will look beyond the recent injuries (also played with a bum ankle in 2016) and work him out.

It sounded to me like his first choice would be to play close to DC given his wife's situation.  But if he does not return to play for the Bills, it sounds more like it is the Bills who may not be interested. 

Edited by 2003Contenders

5 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

So did we lose that trade? ??

Feel bad for the guy. Was in camp with the eventual Super Bowl Champs, got shipped out and got hurt 1st day here. Wish him well, seems like a classy dude.

Honestly. If we grab a serious upgrade to Darby with that 2nd, then it’s a wash\win. If we end next season and think, “this team is better with Darby than without him, then we lost”

Through 2017, just straight Matthews/Darby, we were better before the trade. I don’t count Gaines as a replacement because he was part of the Sammy trade, to which, given the QB situation, we probably came out on top of that one. 

Agreed. Matthews is class. 

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Jordan Meh-tthews was expendable in Philadelphia as a slot receiver with Nelson Agholor emerging.  He's just not explosive enough to be an outside receiver and Zay Jones is best suited to play slot which makes Jordan redundant.  Nice guy whom I wish nothing but the best for as he moves on. 

Let's just run 4wr every down.

Wait... Do we have any outside receivers??

I’d like for the bills to resign him with a fair deal.

the dude did ball when he was out there. 

I think I remember him catching with his hands instead of his body, which is always a plus. 

Plus, him and kB form a formidable duo. 

I don’t exactly trust zay yet 

• Like (+1) 1

I was disappointed with his production.  I didn't think he was a star but as far back as this time last year I floated his name as someone who might be gettable for a low draft pick to replace Robert Woods' production levels in Buffalo.  I know the injuries hurt him but he did just not produce even close to Woods' level which was pretty middle of the road #2 receiver numbers.  The Bills are right to move on.  He was a throw away piece in that trade.  The "prize" was the 3rd round pick.  

I expect Matthews to sit out there as a FA for a while.  He will sign somewhere in the 2nd wave I think.  Not the first week but that wave in the 7-10 days before the draft.  The Ravens does make sense as a fit, the Jets do too.  

We need to make smart moves at WR. We picked up 2 injured WR last year after trading "injury prone" Sammy Watkins.

Understoood the JMatt trade but after how it turne out we should've tried to get a full 2nd for Darby instead.

I thought the KB trade was solid until it seemed like Carolina "gave us the bag with the most shake in it", when he turned out to be iniured. 

11 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I’d agree if this were true. I’m not going to be melodramatic over the loss of JMatt, but he has shown more than Reilly and Zay. Isn’t Zay the number two right now? If so, that’s scary. JMatt is nothing special, but we are extremely void of WR talent. 

I agree that JMatt has more experience than Zay and Reilly. Talent / Skill - probably not based off just last year alone - was slow and  unable to get separation. I do agree that it is possible last year was an aberration due to foot / ankle issues and we did not see the best of JMatt.

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Jordan Matthews (injured reserve) underwent left knee and right ankle surgery Thursday.

In a social media post, Matthews said both injuries had "plagued" him over the past two years. He's expecting a full recovery, but did not provide a timeline. Finishing his age-25 season on I.R., Matthews is headed to free agency. Thu, Dec 14, 2017 02:38:00 PM

Gaines has missed 26 games to injury the past three seasons. He battled knee and shoulder issues last year and missed all of 2015 with a Lisfranc issue. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9619/ej-gaines

Kelvin Benjamin  missed 2015 season injured.

Playing a injured Zay Jones all season with a torn labrum shoulder

Playing Eric Wood after a stinger that turns out to be career ending after season.

I really worry about the Bill's medical staff.

• Like (+1) 1

I understand the people saying he’ll be easily replaced but what I think they mean is his production will be easily replaced. 

Matthews as a player and teammate is much better than what we saw (actually we did see glimpses) and I think would have been an excellent piece for this team going forward. 

Not upset they’re going in a different direction but I would have loved to see him and Benjamin on a team together with a qb that is willing to throw to them. If we get one of those that is. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

So if he was so damaged and Buffalo's doctors pointed that out to him (per this article: http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/06/matthews-says-two-really-bad-diagnoses-left-him-with-knee-ankle-problems-before-joining-the-bills/) how the hell did he pass the physical to complete the trade?  Wasn't Benjamin also damaged when he got here?

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 1

I chalked up his lack of production in Buffalo to the Bills' QB situation and found it interesting that he found it necessary to highlight his injury problems. He could easily just blamed the QB situation, no one would have questioned that, and may have gotten better free agency deal.