Post-Combine QB Poll

Post-Combine QB  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your top choice QB. Assuming we can get any? (i.e. they all fall to 21, we trade to 1, etc.)

• Baker Mayfield
    • Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold
    • Josh Allen
    • Lamar Jackson

43 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Why would the evaluation of a QB change after the combine? 

Because people never learn.

My favorite is how people are in awe over the Josh Allen 65 yard throw.

So? When is he going to do that in a game? 

Also, my “post combine” rankings are the same as my pre-combine ones.

Darnold

Mayfield

Rosen

Thats it.

Edited by Jay_Fixit
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

We can get any QB.  Who would your pick be??

My top choice is Rosen. But to be more specific:

If we trade up: Rosen

If we stand at 21: Jackson

If we go non first round: White

Who I think Buffalo is targeting: Baker Mayfield. We've heard rumors they like Darnold, Rosen, Jackson is #2 on their board, Allen will be a visit...wonder why we hear nothing on one specific "top prospect". Close to the vest...

2 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

My top choice is Rosen. But to be more specific:

If we trade up: Rosen

If we stand at 21: Jackson

If we go non first round: White

Who I think Buffalo is targeting: Baker Mayfield. We've heard rumors they like Darnold, Rosen, Jackson is #2 on their board, Allen will be a visit...wonder why we hear nothing on one specific "top prospect". Close to the vest...

I could see them passing on Mayfield because they want a more traditional style quarterback after first dealing with Newton in Carolina then Taylor in Buffalo.

6 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Because people never learn.

My favorite is how people are in awe over the Josh Allen 65 yard throw.

So? When is he going to do that in a game? 

Also, my “post combine” rankings are the same as my pre-combine ones.

Darnold

Mayfield

Rosen

Thats it.

It's shocking to me.

For anyone to convince themself that Allen can be a franchise QB, you have to completely ignore the game tape. His positives are limited to size and arm strength. As you said, who cares that he can throw 65 yards. That's not a throw NFL QBs are asked to makes. 

If you turn on the film, there is nothing there that says he should be anything more than a 4th round pick. He doesn't possess any of the traits you see from top NFL QBs. 

In a day of advanced analytics, there's no argument that can be made that says Josh Allen is going to be top QB in the NFL. Whoever picks him will be fired in a year or two. 

Edited by jrober38

48 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If we're moving up it's Rosen, if we're staying put at 21 it's Rudolph, and if we're kicking the can down the curb it's Ferguson with pick 96.

jmo

Joe is a bit long in the tooth now

52 minutes ago, HiddenInLight said:

Honestly, Allen gives me EJ flashbacks in a really bad way.  Mayfield is a very good prospect, but I think Rosen is the guy that will be the better QB long term.  Pocket passers tend to stick around longer in the NFL then the more mobile guys like Mayfield.  If I'm choosing between Mayfield, Rosen, and Allen, I take Rosen 100% of the time.

And Rudolph gives me Tyrod flashbacks. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

You could be right, but I would be VERY surprised if Rudolph lasts past the 2nd round. To me, he's a perfect fit for NE to develop behind Brady. I hate to say it, but he's a Brady in waiting for a team like NE. 

Mayfield routinely had 3 yards of pocket around him when passing, if he didn't bootleg, so the lack of batted down passes is hard to truly measure, and he may be phenomenal, nobody really knows....but if I'm betting, I'm betting he struggles to ever get beyond 15th in the league and if he does, he does it early and then fades. Sort of like an RGIII in terms of early success and then difficulty sustaining it. 

I get what you are saying, and a fair point about the pocket he was working from.  However, I think "batted passes at the LOS" is one of the most over exaggerated phrases in all of football.  One, its not something that happens a lot and Baker is not so short that he will suffer them on a regular basis.  If Baker was like 5'9" then this has more merit.  

If Baker is a good QB, then it wont matter if he leads the league in batted down passes...you are talking about a handful of throws out of hundreds of pass attempts in a season.  If he is good when its not batted down, then it wont matter if he leads the league in batted down passes at the LOS.  

Also, if Baker is 2 inches taller, it really doesn't change the likely hood of a batted pass at the LOS.  Most passes are thrown, even by the bigger QB's through an area that any of the DL can easily reach to bat away.  Batted passes come from awareness more than size at the NFL level.  EJ was huge and got a lot of passes batted down.  Watch any tape on any QB, and there passes zip past out reached arms, not ABOVE them unless its a high arc deeper pass.  

The biggest challenge to a shorter QB is about seeing the field and vision behind the bigger bodies way more so than worrying about a defended at the LOS knocking it down.  But you can account for that with deeper drops, rolling them out, etc if need be, and just watch film on Brees and see how they make up for that.  

So this is why I am not concerned about Baker...if he is a truly good QB, his height will not be hinderance.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Everyone voting Allen.

Why?

Legit question.

And if you're argument is arm strength and measurables alone... may I refer you to former top overall pick for the Oakland Raiders Jamarcuss Russell?

I wasn't aware Allen played a down in the NFL yet. Nothing will be proven until he gets on the field. Everything at this point is speculation, on Allen and the rest of these QB's. You don't know any more than anyone else how these guys will turn out. So let people have their opinions. Jeez I can't wait for the draft to be over. 

38 minutes ago, HiddenInLight said:

I could see them passing on Mayfield because they want a more traditional style quarterback after first dealing with Newton in Carolina then Taylor in Buffalo.

"Dealing with" Newton got them to a Super Bowl. 

In what way is Mayfield not a "traditional" passer? His height? Or did you mean Jackson? Not trolling just trying to see your point a bit better.

20 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Joe is a bit long in the tooth now

I'd still take him over Peterman.

2 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I wasn't aware Allen played a down in the NFL yet. Nothing will be proven until he gets on the field. Everything at this point is speculation, on Allen and the rest of these QB's. You don't know any more than anyone else how these guys will turn out. So let people have their opinions. Jeez I can't wait for the draft to be over. 

When was the last time an inaccurate college QB succeeded in the NFL?

2 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

"Dealing with" Newton got them to a Super Bowl. 

In what way is Mayfield not a "traditional" passer? His height? Or did you mean Jackson? Not trolling just trying to see your point a bit better.

By "Dealing with Newton" I meant tailoring an offence around a mobile guy.  By dealing with Taylor I meant dealing with a guy that doesn't have that prototypical NFL size (and also likes to scramble).  Both are the types that you need to tailor your offense around their needs.  A smaller guy may need to roll out of the pocket or take more snaps out of shotgun.  I'm not saying that he can't succeed, I'm just saying that it is a much harder task for a guy of his size.

1) Mayfield

2) Rosen

3) Allen

4) Jackson

5) Darnold

Recently moved Baker up because the more I hear from him, the more he reminds me of Brees, and less of Johnny Football. I’m talking about attitude wise, not because  of height.

Edited by CajunBillsBacker

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im glad to see the board has come around in the majority to what I have been saying since early in the CFB season...go get BAKER MAYFIELD.  

I will say Allen was impressive at his combine, but combine heroes don't impress me more than their tape does when there are helmets flying at them instead of dudes in shorts and t-shirts.  But I will give him credit where credit is due, he certainly helped himself a lot I think.

I really think Baker will be the best QB in this draft when all is said and done.  The NFL QB he gets most often compared to is Drew Brees, but to me thats a lazy comparison simply because of the height similarities.  As a player on the field, he reminds me most of Steve Young.  Im not talking about his trash talking bravado (that reminds me more of Kobe with how is a killer on the field), but his play style.  This is a guy who can beat you in the pocket and outside the pocket.  People forget the wheels that Young used to have, he was a pocket QB first but if need be can make you pay on the ground.  

I am not worried about his attitude, in fact, I think this team needs someone with his kind of fire to feed off of.  I am also not worried about his height as he is taller than both Wilson and Brees, and barely over an inch shorter than Aaron Rogers, so he is right there with 3 of the best QB's in the NFL height wise.  

You may well be right.

I don't think that a guy who is as emotional as Mayfield is a "process" guy though.   Seems to me he would constantly be worrying about things out of his control - which by definition is "Anti-process".

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, kinda Matt Ryan

Accuracy and completion percentage aren't the same thing. 

None of them were inaccurate college passers. 

Inaccurate college QBs include: EJ Manuel, Jake Locker, Josh Freeman, Vince Young and JP Losman. 

Edited by jrober38

14 minutes ago, HiddenInLight said:

By "Dealing with Newton" I meant tailoring an offence around a mobile guy.  By dealing with Taylor I meant dealing with a guy that doesn't have that prototypical NFL size (and also likes to scramble).  Both are the types that you need to tailor your offense around their needs.  A smaller guy may need to roll out of the pocket or take more snaps out of shotgun.  I'm not saying that he can't succeed, I'm just saying that it is a much harder task for a guy of his size.

Well, no matter who they draft they have to tailor the offense to their skillset somewhat anyhow. This is something I've read (but admitting I don't have first hand knowledge of) that Daboll does really well. If a shorter guy needs more snaps out of shotgun, so be it. I believe McCoy ran better out of shotgun anyways.