Joe Thomas announces retirement

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Joe Theisman says otherwise. So does everyone in the NFL decision making circle who pay offensive linemen (specifically OT) significantly better than Running backs. If we were to go completely on hindsight we might could say that AP would have been a better pick (which I would still debate), but at the time a franchise LT was a better pick than a RB. 

The only reason it was a wasted pick was because they didn't build around him. He was still great player (which I know you are not debating), and was everything they needed at that position, the problem is he was the only good player. AP would have been just as wasted if they hadn't built around him. In fact, the argument could be made (using your reasoning) that AP was a wasted pick for the Vikings because they never won the Superbowl with him. 

Nobody builds a winner around a "franchise LT".  

As for the Vikings,  AP's value was significant.  It's not only about "winning SBs".  If it was, then every Bills player ever drafted was also wasted.

Joe Theisman's LT was Joe Jacoby--a far better LT than Thomas and part of a legendary O-line.  But thanks for the laugh....

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nobody builds a winner around a "franchise LT".  

As for the Vikings,  AP's value was significant.  It's not only about "winning SBs".  If it was, then every Bills player ever drafted was also wasted.

Joe Theisman's LT was Joe Jacoby--a far better LT than Thomas and part of a legendary O-line.  But thanks for the laugh....

Then what is it about? What's the point of anything then? 

Joe Jacoby, who is not in the Hall of Fame, (go ahead, say whatever you want about how the Hall isn't the standard of a good player. You're wrong.) was a good left tackle who missed a block that ended Joe Theisman's career. I know that everyone misses blocks, but good players miss less. 

The most important position on the field is the QB. The left tackle protects the QB. 

I will not debate the importance of a good runningback, but running backs are a dime a dozen. Hall of fame Left Tackles are rare and valuable. 

Let's make sure we're on the same page.... Are you saying that a Hall of Fame Running back is worth more than a Hall of Fame Left Tackle? 

21 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Then what is it about? What's the point of anything then? 

Joe Jacoby, who is not in the Hall of Fame, (go ahead, say whatever you want about how the Hall isn't the standard of a good player. You're wrong.) was a good left tackle who missed a block that ended Joe Theisman's career. I know that everyone misses blocks, but good players miss less. 

The most important position on the field is the QB. The left tackle protects the QB. 

I will not debate the importance of a good runningback, but running backs are a dime a dozen. Hall of fame Left Tackles are rare and valuable. 

Let's make sure we're on the same page.... Are you saying that a Hall of Fame Running back is worth more than a Hall of Fame Left Tackle? 

I was being very clear:  picking a generationally good RB (which is NOT a dime a dozen) would have been infinitely more valuable to the Browns than ANY LT they could have drafted.

In fact, if they drafted ANT LT plus AP, they would have been better off.  Joe Thomas had zero impact on QB performance. HE went through 21 of them.  In the first 5 weeks of 2016, 4 QBs were out with injuries.

Maybe Joe Thomas is the greatest LT ever born---exactly how would you know?