Joe Thomas announces retirement

I wouldn't decide either till I see whether or not the guy back there is worth protecting. 

Browns fans (and everyone else in the world) are fed up with the browns doing the wrong thing and just want to see them make the right choice, imagine how this guy feels. 

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I wouldn't decide either till I see whether or not the guy back there is worth protecting. 

Browns fans (and everyone else in the world) are fed up with the browns doing the wrong thing and just want to see them make the right choice, imagine how this guy feels. 

Doing the wrong thing?  Like picking an LT over Megatron?

You wonder how a guy who got paid $123 million to  "protect" 21 different QBs since he was drafted "feels"?

To quote Larry David:  "prettaaay...prettaaay good".

I feel bad for Spielman..he's put his time in doing college on ESPN and then getting hired by Fox for a top three regional crew.He's one of the most under the radar color commentary guys on the tube in my opinion...he's been there..did it well and explains the trenches of the game in depth...kind of like Madden used to.

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Doing the wrong thing?  Like picking an LT over Megatron?

You wonder how a guy who got paid $123 million to  "protect" 21 different QBs since he was drafted "feels"?

To quote Larry David:  "prettaaay...prettaaay good".

I mean, I don't know what you do for a living, but I know if my job was working at the company that is universally understood to be the industry standard for sucking, after making $123m, I might consider not coming back to again deal with being terrible. 

Success matters to some people and money isn't everything. 

11 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I feel bad for Spielman..he's put his time in doing college on ESPN and then getting hired by Fox for a top three regional crew.He's one of the most under the radar color commentary guys on the tube in my opinion...he's been there..did it well and explains the trenches of the game in depth...kind of like Madden used to.

Agreed. I like Speilman's work a lot. I don't think the TV executives like people you know in depth thinks about the game. They like the generic talking heads so the fairweather fan can understand. 

TV people think audiences are ridiculously stupid and dumb things down for them. I remember when I worked for Vince McMahon, we fired a young up and coming wrestler named Elijah Burke. We had another budding star in Kofi Kingston...Vince decreed that one had to go because the audience would be too confused to tell the difference between them. (They happened to be two African American guys who looked nothing alike). But yeah that's how TV people think. 

36 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, I don't know what you do for a living, but I know if my job was working at the company that is universally understood to be the industry standard for sucking, after making $123m, I might consider not coming back to again deal with being terrible. 

Success matters to some people and money isn't everything. 

Even assuming you're not joking about not wanting to be paid 123 million and then some more by the same company because they "suck" at what they do, simply consider that Thomas had no problem re-signing with them in the past.  He was happy with being terrible for a long time, why would it suddenly bother him?

Anyway, my point was to highlight what an awful draft selection that was for the Browns.  Huge waste of opportunity and money.,

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

But yeah that's how TV people think. 

its not just TV people IMO, its just people in general. If it wasn't for people, humanity could have a chance

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Even assuming you're not joking about not wanting to be paid 123 million and then some more by the same company because they "suck" at what they do, simply consider that Thomas had no problem re-signing with them in the past.  He was happy with being terrible for a long time, why would it suddenly bother him?

Anyway, my point was to highlight what an awful draft selection that was for the Browns.  Huge waste of opportunity and money.,

I am not joking. Guys take less money all the time to play for better teams. There's a difference between having the fortitude to continue while hoping that things improve (much like us bills fans) and forgoing retirement and going through the mental, emotional, and physical tolls of another season of mediocrity. 

Drafting a first ballot Hall of Fame player was a bad decision? Okay. 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I am not joking. Guys take less money all the time to play for better teams. There's a difference between having the fortitude to continue while hoping that things improve (much like us bills fans) and forgoing retirement and going through the mental, emotional, and physical tolls of another season of mediocrity. 

Drafting a first ballot Hall of Fame player was a bad decision? Okay. 

Thomas chose not to take less money to play for a winner.  So why ask how he feels to continue with the Browns now?  Makes no sense.  His "fortitude" was based on a ton of money to accept mediocrity.   He'll retire at this point.

And for the Browns, obviously it was the wrong pick.  Don't you think Adrian  Peterson would have been a far better asset to ANY of those 21 QBs than Joe Thomas was?  Zero impact--not because he's not a good LT, but because there was/is almost nothing an LT can do for a team like the Browns.  History has made this very clear.  

Struggling teams need playmakers, particularly on offense.  They don't need ensemble players/blockers as their top 3  pick, when a generational playmaker is there for the taking.

Nice HOF career for a guy who was the anchor of an O-line that was horrible at protecting the QB for years  and years or his career. 

So what?

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Thomas chose not to take less money to play for a winner.  So why ask how he feels to continue with the Browns now?  Makes no sense.  His "fortitude" was based on a ton of money to accept mediocrity.   He'll retire at this point.

And for the Browns, obviously it was the wrong pick.  Don't you think Adrian  Peterson would have been a far better asset to ANY of those 21 QBs than Joe Thomas was?  Zero impact--not because he's not a good LT, but because there was/is almost nothing an LT can do for a team like the Browns.  History has made this very clear.  

Struggling teams need playmakers, particularly on offense.  They don't need ensemble players/blockers as their top 3  pick, when a generational playmaker is there for the taking.

Nice HOF career for a guy who was the anchor of an O-line that was horrible at protecting the QB for years  and years or his career. 

So what?

Perhaps he did, but you and I can't say for certain what his reasoning was for doing so. If he chose to stay because he wanted to see the browns turn around and wanted to be a part of that, I respect that. 

So the reasoning for the Browns being bad for the past 11 years is because they took Thomas over Peterson? No. Wrong. The reason they were (are) terrible is because the entire team was incredible mismanaged and there were hardly any other players worth anything during that period. Put Peterson on the browns and he wouldn't have had half the career he's had to this point. Thomas was the right pick, the problem is that they didn't do anything to build a team so they had one great player that stood out on a pile of crap. The fact that everything else about the team sucked is not Thomas' fault. 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Perhaps he did, but you and I can't say for certain what his reasoning was for doing so. If he chose to stay because he wanted to see the browns turn around and wanted to be a part of that, I respect that. 

So the reasoning for the Browns being bad for the past 11 years is because they took Thomas over Peterson? No. Wrong. The reason they were (are) terrible is because the entire team was incredible mismanaged and there were hardly any other players worth anything during that period. Put Peterson on the browns and he wouldn't have had half the career he's had to this point. Thomas was the right pick, the problem is that they didn't do anything to build a team so they had one great player that stood out on a pile of crap. The fact that everything else about the team sucked is not Thomas' fault

I agree the bolded statements are indeed wrong, but I didn't make either of those claims---so go hit that straw man with all your strength!!

Would AP have had the same career on the Browns as the Vikes?, who knows--but he was putting up big numbers on a bunch of sub .500 Vikings teams. 

The point is, the pick was wrong.  The best LT who ever lived in any era was not going to change the outcome in any season on the Browns.  AP easily would have made them better right away.  You cannot convincingly argue otherwise.  Bad teams need impact players/playmakers.  By definition, that can't be an LT.

They finished last in their division all but 2 of his 11 seasons.  He contributed nothing meaningful to an offense that ranked 27th or worse in 9 of his 11 seasons.

It was by any measure (except for Thomas himself of course), a wasted pick.

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree the bolded statements are indeed wrong, but I didn't make either of those claims---so go hit that straw man with all your strength!!

Would AP have had the same career on the Browns as the Vikes?, who knows--but he was putting up big numbers on a bunch of sub .500 Vikings teams. 

The point is, the pick was wrong.  The best LT who ever lived in any era was not going to change the outcome in any season on the Browns.  AP easily would have made them better right away.  You cannot convincingly argue otherwise.  Bad teams need impact players/playmakers.  By definition, that can't be an LT.

They finished last in their division all but 2 of his 11 seasons.  He contributed nothing meaningful to an offense that ranked 27th or worse in 9 of his 11 seasons.

It was by any measure (except for Thomas himself of course), a wasted pick.

Joe Theisman says otherwise. So does everyone in the NFL decision making circle who pay offensive linemen (specifically OT) significantly better than Running backs. If we were to go completely on hindsight we might could say that AP would have been a better pick (which I would still debate), but at the time a franchise LT was a better pick than a RB. 

The only reason it was a wasted pick was because they didn't build around him. He was still great player (which I know you are not debating), and was everything they needed at that position, the problem is he was the only good player. AP would have been just as wasted if they hadn't built around him. In fact, the argument could be made (using your reasoning) that AP was a wasted pick for the Vikings because they never won the Superbowl with him.