Bills Sign Ivory

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

You aren't getting young players in their prime before free agency officially starts.  The Bills have a lot of holes and you can't fill them all in one off-season.  Signing vets to short term deals, to insulate yourself and give yourself another year to build the long term roster is the right and prudent thing to do.  It actually gives me a lot of faith in this regime that they know what they are doing.  Surprising more people don't understand this.

I don't like paying Ivory that much considering the stance they took on Gillislee last year........but like you I do like that McD and Beane seem to understand their roster limitations and (wisely, IMO) know that they don't want to take a step back now if they can avoid it.

Going from one of the very oldest teams in 2017 to even an "average aged" one without the benefit of all the prime-age players they let walk or traded in the "culture purge" is going to take some time and it's re-assuring that they aren't delusional about the cost of doing business this way.   Seen too many regimes go thru here that seemed clueless about what they had and/or lacked or were all too willing to fail.    

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Translation: We're going to fix other problems first and worry about RB when Shady's deal is up.

That is how I see it.  I know it's a deep RB class so maybe they got a few guys they hope drops to Rd 5.

One thing you don't hear much about until after the draft is when there is a deep positional draft there

is going to be a lot of middle talent back-ups getting cut to make room for the rookies.

These pre-FA moves may help in Conditional Picks too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

National media is panning the signing. All i remember is him doing a number on the bills d backs. I like it

Good.  They panned all their moves last year.

This is an excellent move. All things considered, we seem to be adding for next year's comp pick formula that is for sure. Realistically it was either going to be Cadet, a rookie, Tolbert, or Jonathan Stewart backing up LeSean next year. With this move we get the best combination of experience/talent/diversity/mileage out of the lot of them. Plus this is a non factor for the comp pick formula next year. Good add for sure. In regard to the money.... I am sure we can spare the $5.5mil/2yr or whatever we gave, the money we gave him is a total non-issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Translation: We're going to fix other problems first and worry about RB when Shady's deal is up.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. McCoy/Ivory is the backfield for this season and maybe even next (depending on continued production from both). During this time, the Bills will build up other positions of more immediate need. 

Once other positional groups like front seven, offensive line, WR, etc have been built up sufficiently and as McCoy/Ivory age out, the Bills will draft a few young bucks at the position.

We all may want youth added at RB, but you only have so many draft picks, you need to sign 34 more players to get to 90, and Rome wasn't built in a day. Oh, and we have some guy named Shady still producing big numbers.

Build up the team, let the offense lean on the veteran running backs while rookie QB gets up to speed, and draft RB youth in a year or 2. Simple.

I have nothing against Chris Ivory, he has run hard in the past.

I am concerned about the drop in his yard per carry the last two years, that's never a good sign for RB'S around the age of 30.

If one wanted to picky I'd say I would have skipped the " Yeah we know his name Chris Ivory" and just signed 2 to 3 rookie free agent RB'S and let them "battle it out"

My guess is one of them would be better than the current incarnation of Chris Ivory at almost no cost.

Edited by Bag of Milk

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

He's an improvement over Tolbert but this is kind of a "meh" signing to be honest at this point in his career.

This ^ I’m quite neutral on this, except for the part where I believe we paid way too much to sign Ivory.  I can’t justify that price tag for a 29 year old running back with fumbling issues. Limiting turnovers while allowing our defense to win games

was the key to last season. I don’t see how introducing a turnover machine to the offense is good for “the process”, but at least we won’t see more Tolbert carries. 

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I’m still not convinced that Beane wouldn’t possibly trade McCoy to move up in the draft. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

9 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Injured riddled tank with a habit of dropping the football on the ground. I hope he is plan C at RB.

and his yp carry average has dropped to 3.4, although from what I saw, JVille's Oline wasn't very good. 

Beaner knows what he's doing, he's cheap insurance, won't hurt comp pick calculation, good pass protect guy and hits the pile harder than most. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

So, 12 pages in... Looks like the consensus is muted outrage?

I like the guy. Some may recall we feared him a bit when we played jets.
better than Tolbert to spell Shady. does run hard. and smart enough.

Bills are going to run the ball again.
 Hope they draft  shifty speedster in the later round who plays team well.
Is Dimarco the FB still ?

3 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Well that fact that the Jaguars "star" RB Fournette  only ran for 3.9 yards a carry tells me that it has to do with the Jags oline and scheme.

so we're screwed ?

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

I like the guy. Some may recall we feared him a bit when we played jets.
better than Tolbert to spell Shady. does run hard. and smart enough.

Bills are going to run the ball again.
 Hope they draft  shifty speedster in the later round who plays team well.
Is Dimarco the FB still ?

yes

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Assuming the Bills did not overpay, this is a tremendous upgrade from Tolbert.

do you guys think we overpaid?  3 mill a year is about double what I thought it would be. Was thinking 1.5 to 2 mill a year.  Happy we have him but I’m a little miffed at the price tag.  Hopefully he can bring the thunder for 2 more years!