Bills Sign Ivory

1 hour ago, ******* said:

Chris Ivory has been one of the worst running backs in football over the last two years, averaging 3.6 yards per carry while producing more fumbles (seven) than touchdowns (five). It's no surprise he was cut by the Jaguars, but it's more difficult to... espn.com/espn/now?nowId…

Fournette averaged 3.9...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What I like about this:

• He is a good backup to McCoy and a good complimentary RB too.
  • Hopefully means less or no Tolbert.  I would like Tolbert in short yardage/FB type use, but his over use by RICO was maddening.
  • His production issues in JAX I feel is more about the bad OL and crap QB where they stack the box then him as a runner.  

What I dont like about this:

• This is a very very good draft for RB's.  I think Bills could have found a real gem in the 3rd or 4th rounds this year, someone who can potentially taker over for McCoy in a year or two.  I would have liked to have seen us grab someone who can potentially have the impact that Alvin, Hunt, etc had early on.  I like the Ivory signing, but I think it might mean we wont grab one of these great values of deep RB class that could hit big for us in the near future.  
  • He has durability issues, so again, I think I would have been more excited getting a young talented back in the draft.
  • He has had a hard time holding on to the ball as he fumbles too much.

We have 8 picks.  Assuming we maneuver to get a QB, we might end up having to move down just to get to like 5 or 6 picks.  

We have pressing needs outside of backup running back.  Whos taking the snaps?  Whos snapping him the ball?  Who's playing RG and RT?  Who's starting at both DT spots?  What about LBs?  

I know some of this will be addressed in FA, but we're still going into the draft needing a considerable amount of stuff.  If there's a value play with say a 4th or 5th rounder, pull the trigger, but I don't think we need a RB in the 2nd.

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

That's a lot of money for McCoy's backup.  

Yeah - seems like an overpay.  They must be really looking for comp picks in 2019... which means they plan to move some of those picks in 2018....

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

That's a lot of money for McCoy's backup.  

Not really--NE had 3 different RBs that made $3M+ in 2017.

Jax had 2 that made over $6M

Carolina had 2 that made over $4M

Seems like standard backup RB money to me.

21 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Note that Ivory's low YPC could have something to do with the fact that he faced 8 or more in the box almost 51% of the time--3rd highest for any RB in the NFL.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#percent-eight-defenders

Didn't click the link, but I assume it's not going to get much better for him in Buffalo. :D

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Didn't click the link, but I assume it's not going to get much better for him in Buffalo. :D

Ivory and Fournette faced 8+ in the box 51% and 48.5% of the time, respectively.

McCoy faced 8+ in the box ~36% of the time.

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What I like about this:

• He is a good backup to McCoy and a good complimentary RB too.
  • Hopefully means less or no Tolbert.  I would like Tolbert in short yardage/FB type use, but his over use by RICO was maddening.
  • His production issues in JAX I feel is more about the bad OL and crap QB where they stack the box then him as a runner.  

What I dont like about this:

• This is a very very good draft for RB's.  I think Bills could have found a real gem in the 3rd or 4th rounds this year, someone who can potentially taker over for McCoy in a year or two.  I would have liked to have seen us grab someone who can potentially have the impact that Alvin, Hunt, etc had early on.  I like the Ivory signing, but I think it might mean we wont grab one of these great values of deep RB class that could hit big for us in the near future.  
  • He has durability issues, so again, I think I would have been more excited getting a young talented back in the draft.
  • He has had a hard time holding on to the ball as he fumbles too much.

Do you honestly think this signing discourages obd from drafting a good young RB in the mid rounds?

Spare me.

• Thank you (+1) 3

A few things.

1.) I have a feeling the Bills will be packaging some draft capital to move up. This means that whatever picks they DO have left need to be used to address areas of greater need than RB2. The Ivory signing means the pressure is off to get an RB2 level running back in the draft. They can grab a late round or UDFA back now.

2.) I believe the Bills plan to lean heavily on the run game this year in order to take pressure off what will likely be a rookie QB under center. Having two vets in Shady and Ivory who know how to block and catch passes and be productive in the run game will be a boon to the development of whichever QB they select.

3.) I fully expect a youth movement at HB NEXT off season, once the more immediate needs of this offseason (OG, LB, DT, QB, etc) have already been filled.

4.) The fact that two veteran, former Pro Bowl free agents both visited the Bills first this offseason, then visited other teams, but wound up circling back and signing with the Bills, bodes well for the "sales job" this staff is able to do on free agents. A good sign that the "culture" and "process" stuff has some bones to it.

5.) Beane is pretty clearly playing the comp pick game.

For all of the above reasons, a solid move.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Yea with the great QB and Wrs we have here he should see plenty 7 man boxes.

Well, with our great QB and WRs last year, we saw much less stacked boxes than Jax did. Doubt that will change much. 

54 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Note that Ivory's low YPC could have something to do with the fact that he faced 8 or more in the box almost 51% of the time--3rd highest for any RB in the NFL.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#percent-eight-defenders

47 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Fournette averaged 3.9...

Was going to mention these.  He'll face fewer 8-man fronts, and if the Bills can get Foles, probably fewer than Shady faced last year.

19 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The Bills seem to be a team that has no feel for the draft.  This yr is loaded at RB we got other holes to fill and we go sign a 30yr old for guranteed money. 

Maybe they

- Still might take a RB late....we have plenty of picks

- Have needs at other positions

- POSSIBLY are planning on giving up a lot of picks for a trade up?

Last year's draft yielded some fine players......let Beane work a bit before a definative statement like that

20 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The Bills seem to be a team that has no feel for the draft.  This yr is loaded at RB we got other holes to fill and we go sign a 30yr old for guranteed money. 

They have 8 draft picks, and currently need to add 34 players by TC.

32 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Do you honestly think this signing discourages obd from drafting a good young RB in the mid rounds?

Spare me.

Spare you?  LOL...guess you didn't actually read my post where I said I "THINK" it might mean they might not feel the need to draft one this year.

And YES, I do think signing Ivory reduces the chance they draft a RB in the mid rounds, doesn't mean they wont, just think it reduces it as there isn't as big of a need to do so anymore.  Not that Ivory is something special, but it certainly takes pressure finding a RB in the draft to compliment McCoy in 2018.  

They didn't give Ivory a 2 year deal without being fully prepared to have him as the backup.  They might see a great value still in the 3rd or 4th and pull the trigger on a RB, but Ivory signing certainly reduces the need to and the odds of it happening.