Why is Baker Mayfield getting the least amount of buzz?

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I want him... bad.

No one else?

I go through 3 pages on the Stadium Wall expecting some thread title indicating people are talking about how much they want Mayfield.

Nothing.

Even the national narrative is somehow focusing most of its discussion at the Combine on Rosen's question marks, Jackson's up and down performance, and Allen's stellar performance.

But very little discussion about Baker Mayfield's stock going up. 

I was listening to the Cowturd show this morning and he had a guest on who said he spoke with a couple NFL GMs after the weekend and one told him that Mayfield just absolutely blew him away in the interview portion. 

Plus, maybe behind Allen, Mayfield looked the best in passing drills at the Combine.

Yet, very little talk about him.

Why?

Is the issue with him more his height or his immaturity?

If it's his height, measuring in at 6' 5/8" seems just fine.  He seems to have great pocket awareness, anyway and is able to find throwing lanes.

If it's his maturity, I actually love his attitude.  He's made mistakes, but the guy just comes off as the perfect leader of a team as long as you've got some veterans on the team and a good coach to help guide him.

I'll be happy if we get Rosen or Darnold or Jackson.  Stay the hell away from Allen.

But can we please please please just go up and get Mayfield!

I had a dream last night about Baker Mayfield in a Bills uniform. Creepy I know, but he looked damn good in a Bills white jersey/blue pants combo.

I think I’m going to move him up to my top choice soon, if not, at least dead even with Rosen.

Living here in New Orleans, we get Drew Brees shoved down our throats constantly. The more highlights I watch and listen to him speak, the more I see of Drew Brees in him, and less of Manziel.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

That was last year.. Feburary 2017. Disorderly conduct,  public intoxication. That was every single Friday and Saturday night for me when I was his age.

if the cops came you bet we ran.

Scattered like cockroaches.   

Durand Eastman Park - beach access through a tunnel under the unused RR track bridge.   

2 to 4 cops walk down the cause way 100 people go scrambling up the hillside 

Image result for durand eastman park beach access

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Doing dumbshit and getting arrested are somewhat different.    

I did a lot of things in the 70', 80's and 90's and never got arrested.  

You were probably lucky, then.

Do you think that all people who get arrested are bad people?  Especially college kids when it comes to alcohol?

He was drunk, evidently being yelled at by someone and in the middle of a fight and then confronted by a cop... bad combination.  By the sounds of it, unlike Johnny Football, he's not a big worry in terms of being addicted.

I think the guy just has a massive chip on his shoulder. 

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I remember the 2012 draft and wanting Russell Wilson in the 1st rd. He only dropped because of his height, if you watched him play you knew he was going to be a good QB. I remember being at a Mustangs game watching Jimmy G and just being blown away. Derek Carr is another QB that I wanted in the 1st rd, I would say that all 3 of the QB's that I mentioned are better than any of the QB's in this draft. I would say there is a very good chance Mayfield, Allen and Rudolph could be there when we pick at 21.

I hope you're right about Baker...and we don't mess up like we did last year with missing out on Watson. 

1 hour ago, DallasMac said:

Rudolph I see but I don't think there is any chance that Allen and Mayfield are there.  

I'd take Mayfield earlier than 21, but as I've said old stereotypes die hard in the NFL.  I hate to parallel with Johnny Manziel because there have been many comparisons between him and Mayfield. I think these are mostly lazy ; they really are two different guys . The height issue is a real one. The only QB under 6' 1" drafted in the first round since at least 2000 is Manziel. I'm not so sure that Mayfield doesn't fall out of the top 15. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'd take Mayfield earlier than 21, but as I've said old stereotypes die hard in the NFL.  I hate to parallel with Johnny Manziel because there have been many comparisons between him and Mayfield. I think these are mostly lazy ; they really are two different guys . The height issue is a real one. The only QB under 6' 1" drafted in the first round since at least 2000 is Manziel. I'm not so sure that Mayfield doesn't fall out of the top 15. 

I've said in other threads that I feel he gets happy feet in the pocket.  Not sure if it's height related or just pocket awareness.  But he's shown enough that he's going to be picked in the top 10.  IMO

56 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

I had a dream last night about Baker Mayfield in a Bills uniform. Creepy I know, but he looked damn good in a Bills white jersey/blue pants combo.

I think I’m going to move him up to my top choice soon, if not, at least dead even with Rosen.

Living here in New Orleans, we get Drew Brees shoved down our throats constantly. The more highlights I watch and listen to him speak, the more I see of Drew Brees in him, and less of Manziel.

Yes.

Mayfield looks like he has a similar type of pocket awareness and ability to find passing lanes to Brees.  Mayfield is 6' 5/8".  I don't know how accurate Brees's listed 6'0" is, but the guys just seems like a winner and a leader of men. 

I actually think Mayfield is very much in the mix to go #1. I hope he doesn't. I'm close to bumping him above Rosen if I'm being honest. I'm a huge fan of his, and I didn't think I would be when I first started hearing his name kicked around. 

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

I actually think Mayfield is very much in the mix to go #1. I hope he doesn't. I'm close to bumping him above Rosen if I'm being honest. I'm a huge fan of his, and I didn't think I would be when I first started hearing his name kicked around. 

I think if he was 3 inches taller he's the first or second pick, and it's probably not close.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I want him... bad.

No one else?

I go through 3 pages on the Stadium Wall expecting some thread title indicating people are talking about how much they want Mayfield.

Nothing.

Even the national narrative is somehow focusing most of its discussion at the Combine on Rosen's question marks, Jackson's up and down performance, and Allen's stellar performance.

But very little discussion about Baker Mayfield's stock going up. 

I was listening to the Cowturd show this morning and he had a guest on who said he spoke with a couple NFL GMs after the weekend and one told him that Mayfield just absolutely blew him away in the interview portion. 

Plus, maybe behind Allen, Mayfield looked the best in passing drills at the Combine.

Yet, very little talk about him.

Why?

Is the issue with him more his height or his immaturity?

If it's his height, measuring in at 6' 5/8" seems just fine.  He seems to have great pocket awareness, anyway and is able to find throwing lanes.

If it's his maturity, I actually love his attitude.  He's made mistakes, but the guy just comes off as the perfect leader of a team as long as you've got some veterans on the team and a good coach to help guide him.

I'll be happy if we get Rosen or Darnold or Jackson.  Stay the hell away from Allen.

But can we please please please just go up and get Mayfield!

I've said this on these forums many times before, but...

I really, REALLY want the Bills to draft Baker Mayfield. If he was 2 inches taller, he'd be the consensus top pick in the draft. In my opinion, he will be the best quarterback of this class and has Hall of Fame potential. 

He will give the Bills an identity and swagger that they have been lacking for 22 years. He is the consummate "earned everything he ever got" underdog, and he's PERFECT for this city and this team.

I only hope McDermott and Beane see it the way I do. Teams are really going to be kicking themselves for passing on this kid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Can you imagine what the stories would have been like about the early 90's Bills players had social media been around back then? College kids do dumb sh*t all the time, especially when alcohol is involved. Hell, I did a bunch of dumb sh*t without alcohol involved or a college campus for that matter. He'll be fine. 

The 90’s was a different era. Social media allows these transgressions to become a distraction. The majority of today’s franchise QB’s are higher character guys who don’t have a rap sheet from their college days. Can anyone imagine Carson Wentz or Drew Brees getting in big trouble? 

I also don’t find it comparable to those of us who had character concerns in college, or as a younger person in general. The majority of us transitioned into adulthood by working a 9-5 job. We weren’t given multi million dollar contracts, and semi celebrity status that gave us access to everything we want. Transitioning from college to the workforce can be a humbling experience. Becoming a highly touted NFL draft choice does nothing to bring humility to braggadocious guys like Mayfield. I’d prefer to invest the future of my franchise in the hands of the countless others who don’t have these concerns. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I have watched a lot of YouTube video of the top 8 QB's in this draft and watched some live college games on TV. The guy I think is a can't miss pick and has separated himself from everyone else is Baker Mayfield. I am now hoping the Bills try and get the 1st or 2nd pick to try and get Mayfield. I do think he could drop like Wilson because of height but any team that passes on him will be making a huge mistake. 

So in the past I have identified Wilson, Jimmy G and Derek Carr as the QB's that I most wanted from those draft classes. I am now making my all in push for Baker Mayfield, I don't go all in on QB's very often but when I have they have worked out. I watched Jimmy G in high school on the Mustangs and I watched a lot of his games at Eastern Illinois. He broke almost all of Tony Romo's passing records. To me it was a no brainer for the Bills to draft Jimmy G, I 100% knew he was going to be a great QB. This is the exact same feeling I have right now for Baker Mayfield. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1