Why is Baker Mayfield getting the least amount of buzz?

I want him... bad.

No one else?

I go through 3 pages on the Stadium Wall expecting some thread title indicating people are talking about how much they want Mayfield.

Nothing.

Even the national narrative is somehow focusing most of its discussion at the Combine on Rosen's question marks, Jackson's up and down performance, and Allen's stellar performance.

But very little discussion about Baker Mayfield's stock going up. 

I was listening to the Cowturd show this morning and he had a guest on who said he spoke with a couple NFL GMs after the weekend and one told him that Mayfield just absolutely blew him away in the interview portion. 

Plus, maybe behind Allen, Mayfield looked the best in passing drills at the Combine.

Yet, very little talk about him.

Why?

Is the issue with him more his height or his immaturity?

If it's his height, measuring in at 6' 5/8" seems just fine.  He seems to have great pocket awareness, anyway and is able to find throwing lanes.

If it's his maturity, I actually love his attitude.  He's made mistakes, but the guy just comes off as the perfect leader of a team as long as you've got some veterans on the team and a good coach to help guide him.

I'll be happy if we get Rosen or Darnold or Jackson.  Stay the hell away from Allen.

But can we please please please just go up and get Mayfield!

Maybe he looked even shorter next to Allen, so the other teams lost interest in him and he'll slide to where the Bills have a realistic shot to trade up for him.  NFL guys really don't like short QBs which is why they all passed on Russell Wilson to chase after Brock Osweiler.  Mayfield seems to be a real gamer who will do whatever he needs to do to win ... and he seems to play clutch, too.  Big guys who can chuck the ball a mile when they're wearing shorts and/or red jerseys are a dime a dozen.  Potential NFL QBs, not nearly so plentiful.

Mayfield is the only one of this crop of QBs I'd trade up myself.

• Like (+1) 3

lack of buzz IMO means lots of teams playing Mayfield cards close to the chest.

Of course he himself has not done enough mouth running or recent off the field actions to create that negative buzz. I think that's why so hush hush.

He was solid on the field and solid at the combine....

• Like (+1) 1

The Browns, Broncos, Jets, and possibly the Dolphins are looking at QB's right now. That is likely Rosen, Darnold, Allen,  and Mayfield right there. It's going to take a leap of faith to get our QB. If Mayfield were to drop to 10 and we could swing something with Oakland I would be ecstatic. We could make that trade and still keep one of our other 1st Round picks by sending them a 2nd and our 3rd. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2

He will drop out of the top 10 for sure, their are going to be around 7 CB's taken in the 1st rd. I can see Darnold and Rosen in the top 10, after that I could see us having our choice of Mayfield, Allen or Rudolph. The talent pool in this draft is very close from pick 7 to pick 30, our two 1st rd picks are very valuable this year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He will drop out of the top 10 for sure, their are going to be around 7 CB's taken in the 1st rd. I can see Darnold and Rosen in the top 10, after that I could see us having our choice of Mayfield, Allen or Rudolph. The talent pool in this draft is very close from pick 7 to pick 30, our two 1st rd picks are very valuable this year.

if Mayfield drops out of the top (or even 8) I will be thrilled.  Neither Oakland nor 49ers need a QB.  We could likely swing a trade that keeps our other first rounder in that scenario.  

yeah i would really like if he drops to the 21 or 22 pick.  now i don't know about his mechanics and all that, but he's super competitive which i like. reminds me as far as that fire is concerned of a young jimbo, even the character concerns. don't blow me up because i made the comparison. 

13 minutes ago, H2o said:

The Browns, Broncos, Jets, and possibly the Dolphins are looking at QB's right now. That is likely Rosen, Darnold, Allen,  and Mayfield right there. It's going to take a leap of faith to get our QB. If Mayfield were to drop to 10 and we could swing something with Oakland I would be ecstatic. We could make that trade and still keep one of our other 1st Round picks by sending them a 2nd and our 3rd. 

Some of what I've heard/read is that after this weekend the top 3 guys are Rosen, Darnold, and Allen who has propelled himself up into discussion as the top pick.

It's just unfathomable to me.

I'm so freakin confused that people aren't talking more about Mayfield.  He's the only QB of this bunch that I'll be 100% ecstatic in getting with really no reservations.  I'll be pumped about the other guys, but Rosen's attitude/durability scares me, Darnold's propensity for turnovers and rather underwhelming 2017 season scares me, and Jackson's playing style combined with injury risk scares me.

Mayfield, to me, really just seems like the most sure thing of the bunch at QB.  The guy is just a winner who loves the game and has a massive chip on his shoulder.

Love that!

• Like (+1) 4

I like Mayfield, he's one of my favorite players in this draft. I'd be pretty ecstatic if the Bills got him. Not for three first round picks minds you. Hopefully they can make a deal that's fair and not hamper their ability to build a roster too greatly. He's the only one of these QBs that has " off field issues" and he's not 6"1. ( not many first round QBs are that short)He's taken few snaps from under center, and looked a bit awkward doing so. His combine was ok. That's probably the reason for the lack of hype. 

46 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I want him... bad.

No one else?

I go through 3 pages on the Stadium Wall expecting some thread title indicating people are talking about how much they want Mayfield.

Nothing.

Even the national narrative is somehow focusing most of its discussion at the Combine on Rosen's question marks, Jackson's up and down performance, and Allen's stellar performance.

But very little discussion about Baker Mayfield's stock going up. 

I was listening to the Cowturd show this morning and he had a guest on who said he spoke with a couple NFL GMs after the weekend and one told him that Mayfield just absolutely blew him away in the interview portion. 

Plus, maybe behind Allen, Mayfield looked the best in passing drills at the Combine.

Yet, very little talk about him.

Why?

Is the issue with him more his height or his immaturity?

If it's his height, measuring in at 6' 5/8" seems just fine.  He seems to have great pocket awareness, anyway and is able to find throwing lanes.

If it's his maturity, I actually love his attitude.  He's made mistakes, but the guy just comes off as the perfect leader of a team as long as you've got some veterans on the team and a good coach to help guide him.

I'll be happy if we get Rosen or Darnold or Jackson.  Stay the hell away from Allen.

But can we please please please just go up and get Mayfield!

I am actually hoping that it is Mayfield so that you and some of the other polar opposites from you can have some common ground to agree upon.

May well end up being the best QB in this draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Some of what I've heard/read is that after this weekend the top 3 guys are Rosen, Darnold, and Allen who has propelled himself up into discussion as the top pick.

It's just unfathomable to me.

I'm so freakin confused that people aren't talking more about Mayfield.  He's the only QB of this bunch that I'll be 100% ecstatic in getting with really no reservations.  I'll be pumped about the other guys, but Rosen's attitude/durability scares me, Darnold's propensity for turnovers and rather underwhelming 2017 season scares me, and Jackson's playing style combined with injury risk scares me.

Mayfield, to me, really just seems like the most sure thing of the bunch at QB.  The guy is just a winner who loves the game and has a massive chip on his shoulder.

Love that!

I'm on record saying Mayfield is my guy. He can read defenses, he looks off Safties in most instances, he can throw accurately to every level of the field, he is mobile enough to scramble when needed, and he is passionate about the game. He's a winner and he's clutch. He'd look great in a Bills' uni. :thumbsup: