....What about QB in 2019?

With the situation at this point still being so fluid, none of us really know who is going to end up where.  We do know that as of today, the Bills are at 21/22, and that's all we really know.  We don't know if they will be compelled to trade up, or if someone is willing to trade back, or if the guy they want, if they like one of them, will even be there.  There are several teams in the "Franchise QB" market even as there are plenty of journeyman types out there, and Kirk Cousins who will be someones franchise QB soon enough.  

What if the Bills simply can't get the guy they want went the dust settles?  It might not even be due to lack of interest or lack of trying...just being in the position they are in could simply mean they lose by default this go round.  

In 2019, should the Bills be in the market again, let's consider who else could be in that market.  Let me speculate about 2018 first.  

Cleveland is going to end up with a QB one way or another in this draft.

The Giants MIGHT take one, or trade out.  I am going to call it now that they DO NOT take one in round 1 this year.

The Colts shouldn't be in the QB market now, but I can't 100% call that until Luck throws some passes.  Reports are that he won't need another shoulder surgery, but he still hasn't thrown.  For the sake of this post, I'll assume he is healthy.  No QB now, No QB next year.

Denver-  is a real wild card here.  I don't think they are going to be able to sell Cousins on winning now in Denver, nor will they make the highest offer.  I'd say they lose out on Cousins, but sign BRADFORD.  (could be Keenum...half a dozen of one, 6 of the other ...whatever)  They could still take one to develope, but that would be counter to trying to win now.  The coaching staff is being given THIS YEAR, the roster window is basically THIS YEAR.  They have holes to fill THIS YEAR.  Elway may not have the green light to go QB after missing on Oswieler and Lynch...They may be inclined to wait until next year just because of where they are with their roster.  Taking the QB now, with the coaching staff you are going to fire if they don't win now, is poor form.  Lynch is still on the roster and while they may have determined he sucks....the situation almost demands he get one more shot before they tear down the whole  thing...the roster, the staff..maybe even Elway himself.  It seems like the timing is all off for Denver to be drafting one high.  The one caveat being Josh Allen.  If Denver can get him, I think that is who Elway loves and would be willing to go up and get him if they can make a deal to get to 1.  I am going to say, in the end, Cleveland keeps the 1 and takes Josh Allen.

Jets- This is another team that will end up with a QB be it Cousins or a draft pick.  I am going to say that I think the Vikings are the leader in the clubhouse for Cousins.  Cousins can get paid there, have a stable front office and roster, and coaching staff all there.  The jets roster and staff or in limbo.  So for 2018....Allen goes 1.  Giants go Barkley.  Colts go Chubb.  Cleveland could look to trade back at 4, but dont' and go Minka Fitzpatrick.  Denver again is the trade up wildcard here.  If Bufalo likes Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, they will need to be on the phone.  I think the Jets will possibly pay a price just to move up to 3,4 or 5 and go with Mayfield.  If not, Arizona will be hot on the phone to get up here for one of those 3.  i don't know who arizona likes out of that grouping.  I do think the Jets love Mayfield...either they have to go up a few spots to get him, or they get word that Arizona is coming up for Rosen or Darnold and stay put.  Either way, the Jets are going to be Baker Mayfields new team.

Assuming Arizona has traded up at this point, and the Jets have taken Mayfield....then it gets interesting for the trade up teams because that means Darnold, Jackson, and Rudolph are still on the board and the next several teams aren't in the QB market.  

If this plays out as I have it here, you are looking at dark horse teams who might be interested in moving up to grab Darnold.  Miami could suddenly find itself interested in going QB.  Cincy could consider going QB as they will have lost MacCaron.  the Saints could be interested in finding Drew Brees replacement, and the Chargers might be looking at Phillip Rivers successor.  All but New Orleans is currently ahead of the Bills....but at this point, the Bills draft Ammo is more than sufficient to get up there...the problem is, do they like Darnold, Rudolph or Jackson?

Since this is about looking ahead to 2019, I will assume ONE of those teams trades up or stays put and lands Darnold.  Then it becomes a two horse show.  Does Buffalo like Rudolph or Jackson enough to move up if they feel they need to?  Do they stay put and see if one of them makes it to them?  Do they even want either of those two?  for the sake of argument, lets say that they DO NOT go QB for whatever reason at this point.....you are looking at QB again in 2019....so what does that look like?

First lets examine who might be in the QB market.

Chargers if they don't get Rivers successor this year

Saints if they don't get Brees successor this year

Steelers if they think Ben is considering retiring

Bengals if they are tired of Dalton and don't get a replacement this year.

Oakland if Gruden decides Carr can't be redeemed.  

Tampa if they sour on Winston

Tennesee if they sour on Mariotta.

Miami if Tannehill can't stay healthy and they didn't draft a round 1 guy this year.

Denver if the whole thing comes crashing down.

All of these teams aren't certain to be in the QB market....a lot of things would have to play out to have any of them shopping for one.  Let's go with Cincy being finished with Andy Dalton, being the actual main threat to draft one high.  The Chargers, Saints and probalby Oakland will have a good record so will be drafting late even if they are looking QB.  Miami won't be in the market if Tannehill is healthy and puts up Top 15 numbers...that's a reasonable expectation.  

Tennessee might be growing a bit tired of Mariotta, but I don't think they give up on him yet.  Same with Tampa and Winston...and Winston has at least had some big stats here and there.

that means really there might be 2-3 teams really in the "draft a franchise QB" mode to compete with the Bills.

Next years Class does not look strong as of now...it could change....but Drew Lock as the top of the class next year would make me consider what's out there in 2018 pretty hard.  I am a Missouri Fan, and I love Drew Lock as my Tigers QB....I don't think I'd want him leading my NFL team.  

So, summing it up.....Even though there would seem to be fewer NFL teams with a need in the 2019 draft for a QB, and that the Bills might be better positioned in that draft to get one, the class seems pretty weak at least this far out.  You'd be kicking that can another year down the road for likely an even less appealing option than this year.

In conclusion.  Now is the time to make it happen.  Good luck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Which means we should get one this year.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

No. We get a QB this year. Anything less than that is a failure.

both of you clearly didn't read that book I just wrote...that's what I said in the post.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, McBean said:

The annual “wait til next year to draft QB” thread.

A Buffalo Bills fan tradition since Jim Kelly.

I'm actually advocating that the Bills draft one this year.....just illustrating how much more bleek 2019 looks

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know all the facts but if you have them all correct, this is really really good Zerovotlz.

This is just excellent. A superb summary of the circumstances. Thank you it helps me out.

The only bad thing in the whole article is I keep wanting to spell your name "Zerovoltz" as in Zero Volts, but you have it in a hard to pronounce and hard to spell way :>

3 minutes ago, McBean said:

The annual “wait til next year to draft QB” thread.

A Buffalo Bills fan tradition since Jim Kelly.

Bro.

We drafted Kelly and we went to the USFL for 2 years.

We even "wait until next year" for the guys we draft!! ??

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

I'm actually advocating that the Bills draft one this year.....just illustrating how much more bleek 2019 looks

I get your point and I agree with it.    If there's no way to get THE guy they want, I don't want to settle for the second or third choice just so a box can be checked off.     

Man up and move on...

What about 2020?

What about 2021?

What about 2022?

What about 2023?

What about 2024?

What about 2025?

What about 2026?

What about 2027?

What about 2028?

What about 2029?

What about 2030?

Look, I know at the very end of your post you said we should draft one this year instead of waiting, but to even suggest waiting is an option is awful.  But, I know that there are still a few of thise people out there that just want to use our picks and wait yet another year or 2 for a QB.

Why can't these realize you can't keep kicking the most important position in sports down the road every single year?  Do you ever want to win anything? It's time to start raising expectations around here!  Stop settling for below average to average and start expecting to win and compete for Super Bowl Championships!!!!!

We've waited 20 years to find our next franchise QB and trying to build a team around a below average to average QBs to try and win and what has that gotten us?  A 17 year Playoff drought.  How about trying something crazy like getting the 1 player on the field that matters the most and then fill in around that guy?  

Stop putting everything off!  Whatever it takes for Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield! It's time to take a swing and get a franchise guy in here.  If you swing this year and knock it out of the park, we are set to compete for Championships for years to come.  And you know what happens if the guy we get turns out to not be good enough?  There's a Draft every single year and you get to try again!  FIND THE FRANCHISE QB AT ALL COSTS AND START EXPECTING TO WIN AGAIN!!!!

Edited by sven233
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I don't know all the facts but if you have them all correct, this is really really good Zerovotlz.

This is just excellent. A superb summary of the circumstances. Thank you it helps me out.

The only bad thing in the whole article is I keep wanting to spell your name "Zerovoltz" as in Zero Volts, but you have it in a hard to pronounce and hard to spell way :>

It is supposed to be Zerovoltz.  I fat fingered it when I signed up

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovotlz said:

With the situation at this point still being so fluid, none of us really know who is going to end up where.  We do know that as of today, the Bills are at 21/22, and that's all we really know.  We don't know if they will be compelled to trade up, or if someone is willing to trade back, or if the guy they want, if they like one of them, will even be there.  There are several teams in the "Franchise QB" market even as there are plenty of journeyman types out there, and Kirk Cousins who will be someones franchise QB soon enough.  

What if the Bills simply can't get the guy they want went the dust settles?  It might not even be due to lack of interest or lack of trying...just being in the position they are in could simply mean they lose by default this go round.  

In 2019, should the Bills be in the market again, let's consider who else could be in that market.  Let me speculate about 2018 first.  

Cleveland is going to end up with a QB one way or another in this draft.

The Giants MIGHT take one, or trade out.  I am going to call it now that they DO NOT take one in round 1 this year.

The Colts shouldn't be in the QB market now, but I can't 100% call that until Luck throws some passes.  Reports are that he won't need another shoulder surgery, but he still hasn't thrown.  For the sake of this post, I'll assume he is healthy.  No QB now, No QB next year.

Denver-  is a real wild card here.  I don't think they are going to be able to sell Cousins on winning now in Denver, nor will they make the highest offer.  I'd say they lose out on Cousins, but sign BRADFORD.  (could be Keenum...half a dozen of one, 6 of the other ...whatever)  They could still take one to develope, but that would be counter to trying to win now.  The coaching staff is being given THIS YEAR, the roster window is basically THIS YEAR.  They have holes to fill THIS YEAR.  Elway may not have the green light to go QB after missing on Oswieler and Lynch...They may be inclined to wait until next year just because of where they are with their roster.  Taking the QB now, with the coaching staff you are going to fire if they don't win now, is poor form.  Lynch is still on the roster and while they may have determined he sucks....the situation almost demands he get one more shot before they tear down the whole  thing...the roster, the staff..maybe even Elway himself.  It seems like the timing is all off for Denver to be drafting one high.  The one caveat being Josh Allen.  If Denver can get him, I think that is who Elway loves and would be willing to go up and get him if they can make a deal to get to 1.  I am going to say, in the end, Cleveland keeps the 1 and takes Josh Allen.

Jets- This is another team that will end up with a QB be it Cousins or a draft pick.  I am going to say that I think the Vikings are the leader in the clubhouse for Cousins.  Cousins can get paid there, have a stable front office and roster, and coaching staff all there.  The jets roster and staff or in limbo.  So for 2018....Allen goes 1.  Giants go Barkley.  Colts go Chubb.  Cleveland could look to trade back at 4, but dont' and go Minka Fitzpatrick.  Denver again is the trade up wildcard here.  If Bufalo likes Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, they will need to be on the phone.  I think the Jets will possibly pay a price just to move up to 3,4 or 5 and go with Mayfield.  If not, Arizona will be hot on the phone to get up here for one of those 3.  i don't know who arizona likes out of that grouping.  I do think the Jets love Mayfield...either they have to go up a few spots to get him, or they get word that Arizona is coming up for Rosen or Darnold and stay put.  Either way, the Jets are going to be Baker Mayfields new team.

Assuming Arizona has traded up at this point, and the Jets have taken Mayfield....then it gets interesting for the trade up teams because that means Darnold, Jackson, and Rudolph are still on the board and the next several teams aren't in the QB market.  

If this plays out as I have it here, you are looking at dark horse teams who might be interested in moving up to grab Darnold.  Miami could suddenly find itself interested in going QB.  Cincy could consider going QB as they will have lost MacCaron.  the Saints could be interested in finding Drew Brees replacement, and the Chargers might be looking at Phillip Rivers successor.  All but New Orleans is currently ahead of the Bills....but at this point, the Bills draft Ammo is more than sufficient to get up there...the problem is, do they like Darnold, Rudolph or Jackson?

Since this is about looking ahead to 2019, I will assume ONE of those teams trades up or stays put and lands Darnold.  Then it becomes a two horse show.  Does Buffalo like Rudolph or Jackson enough to move up if they feel they need to?  Do they stay put and see if one of them makes it to them?  Do they even want either of those two?  for the sake of argument, lets say that they DO NOT go QB for whatever reason at this point.....you are looking at QB again in 2019....so what does that look like?

First lets examine who might be in the QB market.

Chargers if they don't get Rivers successor this year

Saints if they don't get Brees successor this year

Steelers if they think Ben is considering retiring

Bengals if they are tired of Dalton and don't get a replacement this year.

Oakland if Gruden decides Carr can't be redeemed.  

Tampa if they sour on Winston

Tennesee if they sour on Mariotta.

Miami if Tannehill can't stay healthy and they didn't draft a round 1 guy this year.

Denver if the whole thing comes crashing down.

All of these teams aren't certain to be in the QB market....a lot of things would have to play out to have any of them shopping for one.  Let's go with Cincy being finished with Andy Dalton, being the actual main threat to draft one high.  The Chargers, Saints and probalby Oakland will have a good record so will be drafting late even if they are looking QB.  Miami won't be in the market if Tannehill is healthy and puts up Top 15 numbers...that's a reasonable expectation.  

Tennessee might be growing a bit tired of Mariotta, but I don't think they give up on him yet.  Same with Tampa and Winston...and Winston has at least had some big stats here and there.

that means really there might be 2-3 teams really in the "draft a franchise QB" mode to compete with the Bills.

Next years Class does not look strong as of now...it could change....but Drew Lock as the top of the class next year would make me consider what's out there in 2018 pretty hard.  I am a Missouri Fan, and I love Drew Lock as my Tigers QB....I don't think I'd want him leading my NFL team.  

So, summing it up.....Even though there would seem to be fewer NFL teams with a need in the 2019 draft for a QB, and that the Bills might be better positioned in that draft to get one, the class seems pretty weak at least this far out.  You'd be kicking that can another year down the road for likely an even less appealing option than this year.

In conclusion.  Now is the time to make it happen.  Good luck.

In my mind this questin needs to be asked.

The QBs that will be available at 21......where do we think they will be drafted in NEXT year's draft.......

I think Lamar Jackson is a top QB prospect in next years draft

Why wait for next year what we can get at 21 this year and have the extra pick?

• Like (+1) 1