Kellys mouth cancer is back

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

This may be a dumb question but has Kelly disclosed any risk factors which may have contributed to him getting cancer?  Not sure if it was tobacco use like dipping or chewing.

Obviously you never know for sure with cancer  

Not that I’m aware of. I know HPV is know to be a risk factor for oral cancers as well, (maybe more esophageal), but I’m not sure if there’s a link with Jim’s.

We’ve seen a lot of oral cancer diagnosis in people who have never used tobacco products. Especially younger women. 

Dealing with cancer is something you learn how to do.  It's not just the medical issues, the treatment etc., it's the psychological stuff you have to learn to wrestle with - the "what ifs."  Because you don't know you'll be able to beat it, you have to ask some hard questions:  Am I ready to die if that is what happens?  How do I relate to my family through this?  Will I be able to deal with the pain if there is a lot of it.  I had a stage two lung tumor removed a year ago, followed by chemo.  When you have had the initial cancer treated, and there is no evidence of any left behind, you're in something of a state of limbo.  You can't ever be sure it's not coming back.  That's where I am now - hoping for the best.  I know virtually nothing about Kelly's cancer, but I imagine the next step is to assess whether any alternative treatments are available (something not classified as chemotherapy).  If there is, they might give that a shot.  You may have seen ads on TV for Opdivo and Keytruda.  Both are immunotherapy drugs that are used for lung cancer.  There may or may not be some immunotherapy drugs available for Kelly's particular type of cancer.  I'm in a clinical study now for a drug, but I'm in the control group (I don't get the drug).  Should my cancer come back, I could take that drug, or I might be a candidate for Opdivo.  I know I'm not a candidate for Keytruda (the genetic profile of my cancer disqualifies me).  You just have to hope something works.  Maybe it will just give you more time if it doesn't cure the cancer.  Maybe with more time a newer and better drug will be developed.   In the meantime life goes on.  I think Kelly's experience with his son Hunter, and now his cancer has made him a much wiser and better person.  I dwould love to see him beat it for good at some point, but if not, I think he is living life the right way,  I don't know if that was always the case. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Dealing with cancer is something you learn how to do.  It's not just the medical issues, the treatment etc., it's the psychological stuff you have to learn to wrestle with - the "what ifs."  Because you don't know you'll be able to beat it, you have to ask some hard questions:  Am I ready to die if that is what happens?  How do I relate to my family through this?  Will I be able to deal with the pain if there is a lot of it.  I had a stage two lung tumor removed a year ago, followed by chemo.  When you have had the initial cancer treated, and there is no evidence of any left behind, you're in something of a state of limbo.  You can't ever be sure it's not coming back.  That's where I am now - hoping for the best.  I know virtually nothing about Kelly's cancer, but I imagine the next step is to assess whether any alternative treatments are available (something not classified as chemotherapy).  If there is, they might give that a shot.  You may have seen ads on TV for Opdivo and Keytruda.  Both are immunotherapy drugs that are used for lung cancer.  There may or may not be some immunotherapy drugs available for Kelly's particular type of cancer.  I'm in a clinical study now for a drug, but I'm in the control group (I don't get the drug).  Should my cancer come back, I could take that drug, or I might be a candidate for Opdivo.  I know I'm not a candidate for Keytruda (the genetic profile of my cancer disqualifies me).  You just have to hope something works.  Maybe it will just give you more time if it doesn't cure the cancer.  Maybe with more time a newer and better drug will be developed.   In the meantime life goes on.  I think Kelly's experience with his son Hunter, and now his cancer has made him a much wiser and better person.  I dwould love to see him beat it for good at some point, but if not, I think he is living life the right way,  I don't know if that was always the case. 

Best of luck to you for ongoing good health and thanks for your perspective.

Best to JK on putting this in the rear view mirror once again. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Tiger J, Thanks for sharing and I wish you the best. I hope, God willing, you and Jim stay around for a long long time.

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hate to say it but his love for Buffalo may have impacted his treatment course.  He may have been better off at Mayo or MD Anderson, or even Cleveland Clinic or Memorial.

That’s quite a thing to say especially when his treatment was at Sloan Kettering in New York City.

These things, unfortunately, happen.

22 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Cancer treatment in the us is dictated by the medical indaustial complex.  Its all BS. 

In June, it will be 5 years since Kelly went public with his initial cancer diagnosis. The fight is certainly not over, but remember that: 5 years and counting.  "Alternative" treatments would have almost certainly deprived all of us (and particularly Kelly's family) of 5 tremendous years that have been productive, inspirational, and a blessing. Please remember that before criticizing "big medicine."