How would you describe the Bills defense last year?

BillsFan130

Disadvantaged.  Their average position of drive start was 27th in the league. Bad field position is a killer for a defense and we consistently started in worse positions than nearly any other team.

Decent, with reasonable consistency. Except for those absolutely horrible three games in a row, they were pretty decent the whole year.

Ball-hawking. 5th in INTs per drive.

Promising. Need more horses up front, but for the first year of a new regime, not bad at all.

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I was on the Mcd thread where he was saying they aren't as far along as people think. Which is true and it got me thinking.

The Bills went 9-7 with an objectively awful offence, and a.... Then I went blank thinking about their defence.

Some games they were opportunistic. Some games they were shut down. Some games they were mediocre. And some games they were just plain awful.

So how would you overall rank their defense last year?

I was thinking an above average defense that was very opportunistic and lucky at times.

(I didn't look at any stats as I was just going off my memory for those 17 games)

The secondary was the glue that held us together, Tre Whites play was excellent for a rookie, Hyde was every bit of the player I liked him. for since he was drafted. The DL and LB core all need to be retooled. If Meatball isn't brought back I can see 3 new DL either FA or draft/FA combo. we need a new ILB and OLB... I believe Preston Brown is gone, saying he'd play for NE was just beyond stupid imo even if you felt that way and Lorenzo Alexander isn't good enough. Matt Milano was a great pickup, he was very productive when out on the field and he made plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I was on the Mcd thread where he was saying they aren't as far along as people think. Which is true and it got me thinking.

The Bills went 9-7 with an objectively awful offence, and a.... Then I went blank thinking about their defence.

Some games they were opportunistic. Some games they were shut down. Some games they were mediocre. And some games they were just plain awful.

So how would you overall rank their defense last year?

I was thinking an above average defense that was very opportunistic and lucky at times.

(I didn't look at any stats as I was just going off my memory for those 17 games)

They were tough and scrappy. They didn't anticipate the affect that losing Marcy  would have but after 3  horrible games  they made the proper adjustments to get back to being good. 

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that Frazier was interviewed for a HC job says it all. Our front 7 is TERRIBLE right now. Hughes is better than many Bills fans seem to think, but he can't do it alone. Lorenzo was very average and Milano was below average, but still has some upside IMO. With Kyle well past his prime and likely to call it quits and Shaq a HUGE bust, we have nothing at all on the D front to get excited about. Hughes could return to double digit sacks if we had at least 2 more very good DL, but we don't. Our DT position is TOTALLY bereft of talent. We don't even have a decent backup DT on the roster right now. We have a ton of work to do before this D is great, but Frazier gives me hope.

They started out very strong holding opponents to under 16 ppg.   

Maybe it was just a schedule glitch.

Then about the time they traded MD they lost something and they went into a 3 or 4 game slump. 

After that (beyond the Putrids) The S became to lock the opponents down again.  

So in summary much improved with work to do.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

6 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think the following would be accurate:

inconsistent,

opportunistic, and

back-heavy (secondary way better than front 7) 

(given the poor state of our offense, "tired" might be applicable, too)

...I'd throw in bi-polar.......never knew which one would show up.......the brick wall or Wikileaks.........ironically it was the same phenomenon with Pettine so Leslie is not alone.....

• Like (+1) 1

I'd describe the Bills' defense as the reason we made the playoffs.

They weren't great, but they were good enough to get us to the playoffs and good enough to win at least one playoff game (if the offense would have shown up).

For the most part other than that 3 game brutal stretch very disciplined. They forced the other team to beat you and wouldn't give up chunk plays. There were very few freebies against us...