How would you describe the Bills defense last year?

BillsFan130

I was on the Mcd thread where he was saying they aren't as far along as people think. Which is true and it got me thinking.

The Bills went 9-7 with an objectively awful offence, and a.... Then I went blank thinking about their defence.

Some games they were opportunistic. Some games they were shut down. Some games they were mediocre. And some games they were just plain awful.

So how would you overall rank their defense last year?

I was thinking an above average defense that was very opportunistic and lucky at times.

(I didn't look at any stats as I was just going off my memory for those 17 games)

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think the following would be accurate:

inconsistent,

opportunistic, and

back-heavy (secondary way better than front 7) 

(given the poor state of our offense, "tired" might be applicable, too)

right there it is... clean up the consistency issues and add some horsepower to the front 7 and it can be a top unit.......... but the 2 words that immediately come to mind are "opportunistic" and "inconsistent"

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

right there it is... clean up the consistency issues and add some horsepower to the front 7 and it can be a top unit.......... the one word that comes to me immediately when thinking about the d last year is "inconsistent"

I fall in the crowd who wants us to package #21 and #22 to move up, BUT I really really hope a couple nice front 7 prospects are there at #53 and #56.

Green the DT/DE from USC and Nnadi the DT from Florida State come to mind. 

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I fall in the crowd who wants us to package #21 and #22 to move up, BUT I really really hope a couple nice front 7 prospects are there at #53 and #56.

Green the DT/DE from USC and Nnadi the DT from Florida State come to mind. 

oh ya. i'm 100% for moving up to get the qb.... in my ideal world we could make one high profile signing on the interior Dline and hopefully a contributor/depth to the LB's and go into the draft with that area looking much better than it does now. 

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Especially after that Oakland game. Just fell apart mid season

Not entirely true. Milano was removed as a starter with Humber's return which coincided with the 3 game stretch of Jets/Saints/Chargers. After that they reinserted Milano and their run defense went from tire back to average after that. Front 7 has holes I expect them to fill big time but they atleast in my eyes rebounded back to good enough against the run D to not be a liability.

Statistically a bad defense.......physically overwhelmed at times.......but very well coached.....particularly in the secondary.......and lucky/opportunistic.

Offense was poorly coached........and hastily slapped together much too late in the process......but great at protecting the football and pretty good at long drives and converting third downs to shorten games.

Special teams as very good........especially WRT  field goal kicking.......the 2016 Bills win 10 games with Hauschka kicking like he did in 2017 instead of Carpenter who was awful in 2016.

Combine the three with a Jauron Ball mentality and it was enough for 9 wins.

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Not entirely true. Milano was removed as a starter with Humber's return which coincided with the 3 game stretch of Jets/Saints/Chargers. After that they reinserted Milano and their run defense went from tire back to average after that. Front 7 has holes I expect them to fill big time but they atleast in my eyes rebounded back to good enough against the run D to not be a liability.

Ya fair enough. I remember them being outstanding against KC. Bad against NE. Average against the Colts. Mediocre against the Dolphins. Average against NE. And Pretty good the last game. 

So I guess you can say they for sure got better after those 3 awful games. But I also think they got better because their secondary was lock down and they could commit 7-8 guys to the box and put an emphasis on stopping the run.

Edited by billsfan11

21 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I was on the Mcd thread where he was saying they aren't as far along as people think. Which is true and it got me thinking.

The Bills went 9-7 with an objectively awful offence, and a.... Then I went blank thinking about their defence.

Some games they were opportunistic. Some games they were shut down. Some games they were mediocre. And some games they were just plain awful.

So how would you overall rank their defense last year?

I was thinking an above average defense that was very opportunistic and lucky at times.

(I didn't look at any stats as I was just going off my memory for those 17 games)

My one word response is "overperforming"

With the exception of the games right after the Dareus trade, I felt the D was lacked talent at DL and LB but was generally well coached and had everyone "doing his job" and a reasonably competitive game plan.  There were times (the Jags playoff game) when we survived by deliberately becoming 1 dimensional - we sold out to shut down the run and dared Bortles to beat us with his arm.

Right after the Dareus trade we struggled with blown assignments and shoddy tackling for about 3 games then got back on track

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I wouldn't go that far.... they still gave up 190, 160, and 190 in 3 of the next 6 games after the mid season collapse. that's pretty awful. the other games were fairly solid. 55, 93, and 100.... but those first numbers I showed are really really bad.

just an inconsistent d. hands down. no matter who was playing.