Coach McD - “We are not as far along as people may think”

McDermott is a little out of touch sometimes as he does not use social media, Facebook, message boards, etc etc....... 

Vast majority of the sports world already know Bills are not a powerful playoff contender and are in the midst of a rebuild. 

18 hours ago, The_Dude said:

That quote makes me so happy. We got in the playoffs last year (?) but we weren’t a playoff team. It’s good to hear McDermott acknowledge that the cupboard isn’t full. I just feel like he gets the situation. But I’ll never understand what he was thinking last year when he passed on Mahomes. Bad decision imo. 

You know what's better? we have 5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds to address our needs. Even if we cant get one of the big FA QB's, think of the holes we cover.

C, G, DT, WR, Best QB available at 22. (unless top 4 are all gone in witch I doubt) and deal with the rest in FA

4th round pick up a RB if its not addressed in FA

I think the key word left out so far is yet. If they hit the grand slam bases loaded in round 1 and 2.. then I think we will be better then last year..

Thoughts?

Figure this is a good place to drop this...sigh

BJ KisselVerified account @ChiefsReporter 2h2 hours ago
“From the day he first stepped on the field at rookie minicamp, he’s “wowed” us...he’s one of the best players I’ve ever seen.” - #Chiefs GM Brett Veach on Patrick Mahomes.
Edited by Reed83HOF

17 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Many fans...right here on TBD feel that whaley did an awesome job as GM

So awesome a job that he was fired and still isn't working in the NFL. That, and Buffalo's dead-cap space is among the league's worst among other things.

8 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Maybe it's the optimist in me, but until we see the same brand of football on Sundays this fall, I'm willing to chalk the on-field approach up to it being the team's only path to consistent victories last season.

I have to assume that as well.    Young teams don't get better by playing not to lose.   Jauron once beat Jax and GB at home on his way to 7-9.    The next season Jax and GB were in their conference championship games and Jauron was 7-9 again.    It just doesn't work.     I'm less bothered because it wasn't a young team and like you said it was the only path to consistent victories last season.

6 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

You know what's better? we have 5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds to address our needs. Even if we cant get one of the big FA QB's, think of the holes we cover.

C, G, DT, WR, Best QB available at 22. (unless top 4 are all gone in witch I doubt) and deal with the rest in FA

4th round pick up a RB if its not addressed in FA

I think the key word left out so far is yet. If they hit the grand slam bases loaded in round 1 and 2.. then I think we will be better then last year..

Thoughts?

My thought is a C, G, and WR are useless with Tyrod or whoever we can get at 21. I want/need a real QB. 

3 hours ago, The_Dude said:

My thought is a C, G, and WR are useless with Tyrod or whoever we can get at 21. I want/need a real QB. 

I disagree.. Strongly.. You have to build past him. he is not the future of the team and you build around what ever QB you have good bad or indifferent.

On 2/28/2018 at 6:51 AM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

agree, they're not. Dline needs to be bolstered. Oline, mainly a center and definitely need the most important position filled with a competent QB.

hopefully they meet most of those needs this off season, especially the QB position?

Yes, and there were other seasons like 2015 & 2016 when they underachieved 

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have to assume that as well.    Young teams don't get better by playing not to lose.   Jauron once beat Jax and GB at home on his way to 7-9.    The next season Jax and GB were in their conference championship games and Jauron was 7-9 again.    It just doesn't work.     I'm less bothered because it wasn't a young team and like you said it was the only path to consistent victories last season.

And the offensive talent aside from McCoy sucked.  I don't think the defensive approach will change but I think upgrades to the defensive line will improve the pass rush and it will "look" like a more aggressive defense.  On offense I think the moving on from Dennison, and inevitably Tyrod Taylor, suggests they are not going to settle for a FG offense that can't make big plays down the field. Whether it works is a big question mark.  I suppose I agree with Bandit in the sense that whether it "works" in 2018 comes down to obviously Quarterback and finding some vets who can upgrade the WR position. I suspect as I know you do that WR will remain in flux for another year or two before they have "their guys."  It is a big year for Kelvin Benjamin too.  If he doesn't produce that trade really starts to look like an impulsive mistake.  

• Like (+1) 1

I never thought the team was all that far along. I'm glad it was acknowledged by coach. To be honest the coach hasn't had the team long enough .

The HC is bold and has a vision. I really like the guy. I really hope the best for Sean McDermott. I really do believe he is trying to bring a winning culture to Buffalo. 

* He ran training camp so hard that players started fighting and saying they were sick of hitting each other.

* I read camp reports on this message board that they were doing drills in training camp not seen before.

* He shipped out players he didn't think fit culture or just didn't fit the team. He set him self up for the future. 

*After everything that happened the team still made the playoffs after a long time. Even if it was luck I'll take it. I'll take a lucky coach over a bad one!

*He benched Tyrod Taylor. He did it exactly at the time I wanted him to. I don't care about the result because I understand why he did it. He wants to win.

The ugly of the season was the offense. I give credit for bringing in Kelvin Benjamin and benching Tyrod at least trying to fix it. You need to score points and the team needs an offence that has a potential to put up 21+ score games more frequently.

The offence is the part of the team that isn't far along. I hope they find an identity as a unit. Truthfully not gonna be shocked or all that upset if the team doesn't make the playoffs next year. I definitely will be excited and hopeful that the team does. Make it to the McSuper Bowl

15 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I disagree.. Strongly.. You have to build past him. he is not the future of the team and you build around what ever QB you have good bad or indifferent.

Yeah? Well how the !@#$ has that been going for us the past 20 years? 

37 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Yeah? Well how the !@#$ has that been going for us the past 20 years? 

OMG give it a rest drama boy.. Its in the past.. Believe the system. Different GM Coaching.. you cant compare apples and oranges.. you just cant. what was the last year we had this many draft picks in first 3 rounds? answer that Sherlock.

give me Justin Ellis, Daquon Jones/Dontari Poe, Nigel Bradham, Preston brown.  kyle as well. that's a much better rotation at d line than we had last year. watch our run d improve quite a bit.  pray that glenn is healthy.