Does signing Vontae say anything about EJ Gaines?

Ramza86

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane is factoring Gaines leaving into the compensation pick formula for 2019.  He's gone IMO. 

100% this - good call. And if Vontae goes off and leaves, we'll get a comp from him.

Spotrac puts Gaines' value at 9.3 mil a year. Neither he nor Vontae Davis is signing on to be the first Corner off the bench. Especially not on the open market, which is always hungry for CB's.

I liked what I saw when Gaines played. But he was injured WAY too often. I don't understand why some people are heartbroken over losing him.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BmarvB said:

Maybe he'll play nickel, maybe he's gone, or maybe they'll resign and trade him. The Bills have options at that position.

Absolutely and totally agree.  I think our FO team will continue to build the right way and continue to put us in positions to succeed and have options!

2 hours ago, Wsam4031 said:

Yea hes gone. Nice player but hes hurt an awful lot to sign the deal that hes gonna get on the open market. I really like to davis signing. The guy is a great tackler and play press if needed. He will thrive in Mcdermotts system

Funny, I know he had a nice run with the colts, I really didn’t remember him all that much with the fins. 

39 minutes ago, Logic said:

EJ's gone. 

Davis and White are your starting CBs. Johnson likely to be re-signed for vet minimum or close to it. Depth in draft.

Anyone holding onto the notion that Bills will pay Gaines AND Davis for this season -- when there's only room to start for one of them, since neither are slot corners -- is kidding themselves.

Hopefully they upgrade nickel in the draft or FA... don’t like the depth after the two starters or what we saw when Gains was out.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

This is how good teams are made. I love what Brandon Beane is doing. I know people hate the comp formula talk but this makes perfect sense to do. You sign Davis who is is being bought low (1 year deal) in hopes that he recovers his value and has a great season. You let E.J. Gaines walk and he is going to get a fairly big contract which is going to net you an extra 4th or 5th rounder next year.

Then you draft a mid round CB this year to be your # 3 guy and let Davis walk next year after he recoups his value to hopefully net another mid round comp next year and the early draft pick slots into the # 2 role. 

14 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Johnson was a terrific nickle corner for us last year I thought.

Wright was so-so.  I see Gaines as likely gone. 

Whoa... Johnson was adequate.... Wright was terrible. Fixed it.. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Johnson was more than adequate at Nickel. When Tre, Gaines, and LJ were on the field - it was a no fly zone. The problems occurred when Wright would have to fill in for EJ. Which was too often for my liking.

Wright was bad for the most part with one exception being the Raider game. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree with others that Johnson probably gets less credit than he deserves from Bills fans.

He was quite good for most of the year as the nickel. Sure, he's gonna get torched by the Keenan Allens of the world, but who isn't?!

He's still in the prime of his career, likes playing for McDermott, is a perfect scheme fit, and is a feisty player that loves to tackle. 

I'm absolutely in favor of the Bills signing him to a cheap deal, thus completing the starting CB trio, and then looking for further depth in the draft. If a drafted kid beats Johnson out straight up, then so be it.

• Like (+1) 1

What it says is that the Bills believe they can get the same, or better, production, from Davis, than they got from Gaines, at a better price.

Gaines misses games, regularly. Tbh, he might be one of those guys who knows his body so well, that he knows when he's got a tweak that needs rest. Trouble is, in the NFL, as seasons progress, that becomes every other game.

I don't think there's any questioning of his ability, but teams want to see guys who are prepared to play nicked up, even if they don't let them do it.

In response to an earlier post that mentions the fact that Davis has been hurt the last two seasons, it seems as though that has been the one injury, probably of the hernia variety, that the Colts wanted him to play through, and he got a second opinion on, and decided to have the surgery to clear it up.

My impression with Gaines (rightly or wrongly), is that he's had a few different 'niggles' that have kept him out.

I think the bottom line, really, is that Gaines is hitting FA, with high expectations. After the way the Bills played with, and conversely, without, Gaines in the lineup, they obviously needed to do something to replace him. Being able to do a deal with Davis, saves them time, effort, and probably money, on getting a deal done with Gaines, whose high expectations were not going to be easily matched by the Bills.

Gaines is gone. His compensatory pick value will be 3rd rounder in 2019 so long as we keep the rest of our comp book balanced. Davis was such a great signing for multiple reasons. Potential boom player AND he didn't count against the comp formula. This is a very smart front office. 

Edited by KzooMike