Tolbert F,F

DiMarco C-,F

Ducasse D-,C+

Watkins/Gaines C-,B-

Dareus D-,D- 

Darby/Matthews B+,D

Thompson C, B

Davis B+

These are my grades then and now.  McBeane has had hits and misses and some of these moves are all McD. In fairness to them more hits than misses and some benefits still to come(draft selections/cap space). I loved the move down and White selection along with the extra pick.  If Mahomes looks great in 2018 the Bills will look foolish. Hated the Dareus trade and still do. Only the cap space keeps it from a F.  A better coach makes Dareus a star. I thought the Darby trade was good because I didn’t think that much of Darby but Matthews is terrible. Loved the Hyde signing at the time. I thought at the time that Poyer was too small to play safety and too expensive for a nickel DB. Happy to admit I was wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Matthews is not terrible. He is a quality WR without a guy to throw him the ball. And he was injured.

He was slow and couldn’t get separation even before he was injured. Terrible is probably an exaggeration. Solidly below average, played out of his best position, and at best a #3.

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

Wasn't Ducasse and Dimarco on the team prior to Bean's hiring?

Yes but I’m combining McDermott’s FA and draft moves with Beane. Nobody will ever know if Whaley had anything to do with the predraft moves. Most likely not, but he could have been part of the FA evaluations. 

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Matthews is not terrible. He is a quality WR without a guy to throw him the ball. And he was injured.

I have to agree. Injury really hurt him. I was a big fan of this move if you look at his stats this was clearly an injury related problem as well poor QB play. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16763/jordan-matthews

To a certain extent I give an A+ to any and all moves. I think we all agree Tolbert should not see the field. Ever. But we have no clue what he brought to the locker room. Same for DiMarco and others. Dareus had to go, for whatever reason. Either sending a message to the team or culture change or whatever. 

Regardless of what they did they built a winning team and winning culture all the while setting themselves up for an amazing draft this year and able to either land a top tier quarterback prospect or stockpile the roster with young/cheap quality talent. 

Basically everyone was thinking “wtf is wrong with these guys we are gonna suck you don’t trade young talent” but they have a plan, they are sticking to it regardless of what anyone thinks. And they made the playoffs with a very mediocre roster. Be exciting to see what they can do with even more talent added 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, njodogg said:

I have to agree. Injury really hurt him. I was a big fan of this move if you look at his stats this was clearly an injury related problem as well poor QB play. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16763/jordan-matthews

Yep, he was very good before coming to Buffalo. I still hope we sign him and let him show what he can do, as long as we have a new QB. If not I don't really think it matters that much who our WR's are.

How arrogant are people who make a thread like this?

This is possibly the worst thing that the Mel Kipers of this world spawned.

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yep, he was very good before coming to Buffalo. I still hope we sign him and let him show what he can do, as long as we have a new QB. If not I don't really think it matters that much who our WR's are.

He wasn't that great before buffalo, and he was likely getting cut.

Edit- Or perhaps I shouldn't say cut, I don't think that would have saved them any money. But he wasn't going to be brought back as the 4th guy in Philly.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

How arrogant are people who make a thread like this?

This is possibly the worst thing that the Mel Kipers of this world spawned.

He wasn't that great before buffalo, and he was likely getting cut.

Edit- Or perhaps I shouldn't say cut, I don't think that would have saved them any money. But he wasn't going to be brought back as the 4th guy in Philly.

He was literally the best slot receiver in the league before coming to Buffalo. He led the league in yards and TD's from the slot.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

He was literally the best slot receiver in the league before coming to Buffalo. He led the league in yards and TD's from the slot.

At one point he was pretty good but watch his market this off season. He lacks speed and the ability to break away from defenders two things coaches want big time today. Matthews is hard to judge because he was injured for majority of the year and outside of the Jets/Falcons games I don't remember him much because of that.

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

built a team that competed in the playoffs while accumulating a number of picks and pruning the dead wood from the cap. A-

...which was HARDLY the expectation at TBD and rightfully so......A- works......good assessment bud.............