Sal Capaccio: Bills' Combine Preview

26CornerBlitz

Bills Combine Preview: Important things to listen and watch for this week

Even though the Senior Bowl was already played last month, many around the NFL will tell you the annual college scouting combine is the unofficial start to every offseason. 

Every year, draft-eligible prospects descend upon Indianapolis to meet with and work out for league scouts, head coaches, and general managers. As those teams continue to formulate their draft boards ahead of April’s draft, what they see and hear will either reinforce what they already felt about a player, or make them go back to review the tape to see what they missed.

But make no mistake - with the combine taking place just two weeks before the start of free agency, NFL teams, including the Buffalo Bills, have already mapped out the course they want to take heading into these critical next couple of months. Now the object is to get as much of their task list done as possible.
Bills’ head coach Sean McDermott is expected to address the media later this week while in Indianapolis. There’s a possibility general manager Brandon Beane could, as well.

Here are some of the more important things for Bills fans to watch and listen for throughout the week:

6 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

I feel that finding a running back to back up McCoy WHO IS NOT A SERIOUS DROP-OFF is almost as important as wide receiver .

A lot of RBs available in the draft and FA...

their is a logjam at RB in the league... lots of big, strong, fast guys

We should be able to get a good one round 3-4

Actually, earlier today I was re-watching the first few games of last season. I was amazed that Tolbert was actually making some nice plays.  

The last part of the year he just looked slow and tubby. 

I wonder if Preston Brown would share some dieting tips with him?  ;-) ;)

Edited by cd1

6 hours ago, JOSH HUFF said:

There are plenty of good rookie running backs they could get with their late 2nd or 3rd round pick.  I like Rashaad Penny or Sony Michel

I just don’t see Michel lasting past pick 45 or so. Look for Michel to have a great combine and get picked in the late first early second. IF Michel didn’t play with Nick Chubb he probably would of won the Heisman. 

• Like (+1) 2

Who's Buffalo's perfect prospect at the NFL Combine?

The 2018 NFL Scouting Combine is officially here. That said, which one of the 300-plus prospects is the perfect fit for the Buffalo Bills?

On Monday, Bleacher Report shared who they believe is the perfect prospect at the scouting combine for every NFL team. The list included potential first-round picks, day-two selections, and late-round gems. For the Bills, they think the perfect player is Iowa linebacker Josey Jewell.

Here's why Gary Davenport of B/R believes Jewell will fit in splendidly with the Bills defense.

Im a hawkeye native and followed joseys career.  He is a poor mans luke kuechly that we might be able to get in 4th prolly 3rd depending on combine.  Him and barkley went at it this yr and i would almost say it was a wash with a slight edge to saquon b/c they won but go look at highlights.  He has a nose for the ball and and never stops.

Edited by bkep32

22 hours ago, Wagon Circler said:

I feel that finding a running back to back up McCoy WHO IS NOT A SERIOUS DROP-OFF is almost as important as wide receiver .

same here.  Not to mention this draft is so deep in RB.  Guice, Sonny, and Ronald Jones would be high on my draft boards.  Shady is no spring chicken either.  With us being a run heavy team,  I put RB above WR as need

Edited by Pete

22 hours ago, JOSH HUFF said:

There are plenty of good rookie running backs they could get with their late 2nd or 3rd round pick.  I like Rashaad Penny or Sony Michel

Agreed.

Decent RBs almost grow on trees. One can and will be found; it's not a top priority.

Sal M's contribution:

1. Quarterback. Obviously. A couple months ago when Beane was asked if he’d personally seen the top-rated college quarterbacks play last season, his reply was, “All the ones that matter.” That was an indication that he’s not fooling around and settling for someone who may be available when the Bills are scheduled to pick in the first round in the back-to-back 21st and 22nd spots, or perhaps waiting until the second round.

Beane and, I would presume, McDermott, will fall in love with one of the top four – UCLA’s Josh Rosen, USC’s Sam Darnold, Oklahoma’s  Baker Mayfield, or Wyoming’s Josh Allen – and will be exploring every opportunity to move up high enough to secure that player. I would expect that all four will find their way into the Bills’ hotel suite Thursday or Friday night, and that will be the most critical part of their evaluation in Indy.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2018/02/27/nfl-scouting-combine-buffalo-bills-draft-prep-nfl-indianapolis/374115002/

Joe B weighs in.

5 Buffalo Bills things to watch for at the 2018 NFL Combine

(WKBW) - Every single year, every team in the entire National Football League picks up and moves their operation to Indianapolis for the week, in the hopes of finding the clarity through a usually opaque time of the year: the offseason.

As the posturing is set to begin through the week, so too will the Buffalo Bills complete search for a long-term answer at the position that has plagued them for decades now. The coming week is always the first and most formative one for how these crucial two months will be shaped.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine. 

Five things to watch, from a Bills perspective: 

1) Identifying “The One”
2) Get ready for more Tyrod chatter
3) Keep an eye on recently released free agents for the Bills
4) The interest on E.J. Gaines and Jordan Matthews
5) Re-signing their own