IF we don’t get a FA QB, and can’t trade up....

Virgil

25 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I will go over this again

Mathews - probably gone unless he signs a modest contract

Thompson - will be back on a modes contract

Tate - who cares

Butler - who cares

Tolbert - please be gone

Cadet - will probably be back on a modest contract

The point is......a lot of these street free agents we picked up last year will most likely be back on cheap deals....and there will be MORE of the same as other teams in the NFL have the same problem.  Right OT's are not that hard to find....Dawkins solified himself at LT.....

Meanwhile.....we have a lot of picks in this next draft......the positions i was referring to are probably areas to target with draft picks

So we are going to increase the number of street free agents on our team, probably by a lot? Deonte, Zay & Kelvin aren't scary anyone at WR. I mean Deonte has played 5 seasons and just cracked 1,000 yards for his career in the second to the last game of the year. For his career he's averaged 20 yards a game and scores a TD once every 12.5 games. We are going to have to give up a bunch of our best picks this year to get our QB. That don't leave a whole lot left to fill holes. Probably our top 3 picks plus another pick or two? I'll admit I'm not up to speed on the values and what it will take, but I believe at minimum our two first and a second. Unless we are waiting to grab whatever QB falls to us and at that point I will have lost much of my interest on drafting a QB this year. I'm just saying there are a lot of holes to fill both as starters and depth, with only so many picks after the QB and not a lot of money to be spent. If this is the case I think we're going backwards for 2018. The following year should get a lot better though. 

Just now, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

So we are going to increase the number of street free agents on our team, probably by a lot? Deonte, Zay & Kelvin aren't scary anyone at WR. I mean Deonte has played 5 seasons and just cracked 1,000 yards for his career in the second to the last game of the year. For his career he's averaged 20 yards a game and scores a TD once every 12.5 games. We are going to have to give up a bunch of our best picks this year to get our QB. That don't leave a whole lot left to fill holes. Probably our top 3 picks plus another pick or two? I'll admit I'm not up to speed on the values and what it will take, but I believe at minimum our two first and a second. Unless we are waiting to grab whatever QB falls to us and at that point I will have lost much of my interest on drafting a QB this year. I'm just saying there are a lot of holes to fill both as starters and depth, with only so many picks after the QB and not a lot of money to be spent. If this is the case I think we're going backwards for 2018. The following year should get a lot better though. 

Kelvin Benjamin isnt scaring anyone at WR?   Really?

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I empathize OP and realize that things may well fall as other teams either taking a QB in the top 6 or not wanting to trade out of their slot to get Chubb, Barkley, etc if not QB.  And that the free agent QB's may wind up elsewhere.  Also, that the grades on these QB's as done by professional evaluators may not warrant taking them ahead of other players.  I don't have players specifically in mind as I watch not a whole lot of college football but I would like to see DL. LB, RB, and OL addressed early on this draft.  We do have more questions going into 2018 than we did last year.  We did not have Kyle Williams as a question mark and Wood retiring going into last fall.  

By the way the guys shrieking for QB today will be the same ones carrying torches and pitchforks to OBD when that "sure thing" QB craps out 3 years down the road.  Just like anything else in life it is easy to proclaim yourself an expert when you are not held responsible for bad decisions.  

I will only be shrieking if the chosen one is still here after it’s obvious he sucks. Cut your losses and try again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Kelvin Benjamin isnt scaring anyone at WR?   Really?

I mean if a little under 900 yards and 6.3 TDs a year is going to scare other teams then I guess yes. His career long reception is 51 yards. He's a good WR, but he's not putting fear into the other teams defense. We need a legit deep threat that stretches the field and prevents teams from dropping a safety down in the box. Someone who commands a double team. It will open the field up for everyone else.

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

It’s not a view. It’s a question. Cousins may sign somewhere else. Other teams may not want to trade back to us or other teams might beat us to the punch. 

It’s a very real possibility. And IF that happens, then what?

Are you going to capon Goodell and tell him it’s unfair and we really need one?  

If I’m not mistaken, we have the most open positions in the league once the year starts

First off let me say Virgil that this is a good thread to start.  Too many, go get "their guy" (which may not even be an option for OBD) opinions.

Anything can happen at draft time.  Like you say it will start with FA.  Let's forget about Cousins signing with the Bills and ask where does he sign.

Most hoping (myself included) he signs with the Broncos or Jets.  Of course this would be great because it takes another team out of the QB draft.  But what if he signs with

Minnesota and Foles stays with Philly.

The next question would be, how many teams ahead of us in the draft believe one of the "leftover"  FA QB's is "their guy" that they want to role with instead of a rookie?

If that answer is zero, then OBD has some real worries.  Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater and AJ McCarron are all risky starter moves.

I can't comment on non QB drafts yet because until FA is over with I can't tell what our position of need vs remaining draft option players would be available.

It is still (until then) all about the QB.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I could see doing this if their guy is coming out next year... that would be the only way though. 

Even still id like to see them also draft a qb in second or third, regardless of what they do in the first round or free agency. 

I'm reading about a lot of teams that have quality QB's today interested in QB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

There are many articles about New England, Pittsburg, Miami, New Orleans, Cincinnati all looking for 2nd tier guys.

OBD has to keep this in mind.

I think our new front office is smart and looking to work through all these issue, but we need some good luck too.

4 hours ago, Original Byrd Man said:

The problem is you're probably not getting Mayfield with out trading up and depending how far you need to move it may cost both 1's or a 1 and both 2's maybe the 3. 

I traded both ones, if that is not enough then next year's first. Keeping the seconds and third.

14 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Good and the. Next year we can say well lets wait for a QB. I dont want to give up blah blah get a DT and OG blah blah 

GO GET THE QB THIS YEAR 

exactly, stop procrastinating as an organization. Trade up for hopefully the right guy or at the very least consider Rudolph and/or Jackson at 21/22. 

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

I should have known this would be impossible 

I think I understand your point - I think - which is to say, that if the Bills don't land Cousins and they can't get Rosen / Darnold / Mayfield, then instead of using a 1st on a guy like Rudolph, they should trade for MORE picks....to basically find talent at many other positions in an effort to truly trade up next year.

While I'm sympathetic and I think I've understood your premise, I'd have to disagree. Mostly for this reason: they traded back LAST year with the knowledge THIS would be their year to find their franchise QB. So kicking the can into another year only replicates the same problem next year. Because, one could argue they made the playoffs despite the QB and despite the lack of WRs. Presuming the Bills get even just marginally better at QB and use Draft and FA for WR help,  plus all the other needs, there's a chance they make the playoffs again...and we're back to square one but with no identified long-term solution to THE most important position in all of sports. They anticipated this...that's why they passed on Mahomes / Watson, traded back to gain an extra 1st and why they traded Sammy for another 2nd. This Draft IS the Draft for the QB for the Bills....and IF, and I personally don't believe this but anything is possible, IF they get Cousins, then they'll need all their Draft picks to solve the issue on the field and two 1sts, goes a long way in doing that especially at LB / DT. 

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I mean if a little under 900 yards and 6.3 TDs a year is going to scare other teams then I guess yes. His career long reception is 51 yards. He's a good WR, but he's not putting fear into the other teams defense. We need a legit deep threat that stretches the field and prevents teams from dropping a safety down in the box. Someone who commands a double team. It will open the field up for everyone else.

LOL ok

Kelvin Benjamin is a 1a receiver who is a physical mismatch for every corner he faces.....who has had some injuries.