IF we don’t get a FA QB, and can’t trade up....

Virgil

I will play along, if no FA or trade up for QB.  (If Allen falls past 10 I do everything I can to get him)

1. Start TT

2. Get a DT, DB or sign Gaines, and a WR in FA along with some camp filler bodies

3. Draft OLB at 21

4. Trade out of 22 for a first next year and a third this year

5. Add an OT, DE, LB, DB later in the draft

6. Plan on meaningful games being played in December again

7. And plan a trip to Green Bay as soon as the schedule is released and tickets go on sale

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

I will play along, if no FA or trade up for QB.  (If Allen falls past 10 I do everything I can to get him)

1. Start TT

2. Get a DT, DB or sign Gaines, and a WR in FA along with some camp filler bodies

3. Draft OLB at 21

4. Trade out of 22 for a first next year and a third this year

5. Add an OT, DE, LB, DB later in the draft

6. Plan on meaningful games being played in December again

7. And plan a trip to Green Bay as soon as the schedule is released and tickets go on sale

I’m good with all of that. I’m surprised you go OLB first overall, but I can’t argue with the end result. 

I think TT is gone and we end up with some other journeyman QB here in his place. 

Mayve a bearded guy from Harvard (riot ensues)

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

Virgil I understand what your saying but i really think that the "open positions" were starting to get filled last year even if they are not on the team yet.

We did a lot of tinkering with the back end of our roster to find guys that fit our team as we were signing and releasing players....some of those players that fit our team will be back.

The concern is to fill key spots....and to try to improve the team at certain postions

QB

DT

Pass Rush

LB

I think we are set at spots like WR, TE, RB, possibly OL depending on  how they fill about Glenn coming back and Miller taking his old spot back at RG....I think Cadet comes back to back up Shady.

I’m not talking holes as in lack of quality starters or depth. I think we have over 20 guys who are unrestricted free agents. 

37 minutes ago, White Linen said:

How are we going to trade our firsts this year for firsts next year and still fill all our holes?

Trade #21 for a first next year and a 3rd this year gives us the same number of picks this year and the 2 1sts next year. 

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I’m good with all of that. I’m surprised you go OLB first overall, but I can’t argue with the end result. 

I think TT is gone and we end up with some other journeyman QB here in his place. 

Mayve a bearded guy from Harvard (riot ensues)

I’m not talking holes as in lack of quality starters or depth. I think we have over 20 guys who are unrestricted free agents. 

I think several of those guys will be back on team friendly contracts....for instance I cant see Donte Thompson going anywhere

54 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

There's no reason to worry about the prospect of not finding a new QB this off-season.  

McBeane will address the position

I agree. But it’s very possible it’s not one of the top 4 guys or Cousins, as so many people are banking on 

Just now, John from Hemet said:

I think several of those guys will be back on team friendly contracts....for instance I cant see Donte Thompson going anywhere

I agree.  But even at 500k deals, that many of them will eat up some cap. 

The holes make me believe we are out of the Cousins race because we can’t pay him and fill all of those holes. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thunderingsquid said:

I think they get a QB that falls to them, Jackson Allen or Rudolph and groom them behind Tyrod in this scenario.  Seems very process-like.  Maybe even a White or Lauletta.  I'm liking what I see out of Jackson and Lauletta but that's just me.

If they are there, which I think they will be, and we pass on them.....

I will honestly enjoy watching this board explode. 

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

Virgil, what does your top 22 list look like?

22?  Draft Board?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

22?  Draft Board?

Yeah. I'm just curious what your top 22 draft board would look like. I know it's a loaded question, I'm just curious, I understand if you don't have the time to answer, but just off the top of your head, what do you think?

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

22?  Draft Board?

VIrgil he is talking about the top 22 players that count against the cap.....you do realize this is the case right (hopefully I have that right)

Regardless...there is nothing preventing us from going after Cousins because we no longer work on the cash to cap model.....we have a LARGE amount of cap space in the year after next....and contracts can be constructed to make it fit.

Edited by John from Hemet

2 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

VIrgil he is talking about the top 22 players that count against the cap.....you do realize this is the case right (hopefully I have that right)

We own 21 and 22 overall. I'm just trying to get a feel for who fans want. (You can play along too.)

Edited by NewDayBills

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

We own 21 and 22 overall. I'm just trying to get a feel for who fans want. (You can play along too.)

My feeling on the whole thing is I would like to trade up for a QB unless its gonna cost a Ditkas ransom......lets just take our shot at greatness

The bridge qb thing I dont know what they will do.....if we trade up I think that player will be starting before the year is done

2 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

My feeling on the whole thing is I would like to trade up for a QB unless its gonna cost a Ditkas ransom......lets just take our shot at greatness

The bridge qb thing I dont know what they will do.....if we trade up I think that player will be starting before the year is done

If Denver lands Cousins, if the Giants take Barkley and Rosen is sitting there at 5, I could see a big trade.

If we stay put, my top 22 gets really confusing for me. I know we need a QB, but if it comes down to Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph, do we want to hitch our wagon to a very questionable prospect? Chances are, if you take a QB in the first, your HC and GM will live by that pick and die by that pick as is the nature of 1st round QBs. Now if one of those guys fell to RD2? It's not a tremendous commitment to them and we can move on quick.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

We have a lot of holes. Moreso than last year. 

Yup. But that's what low-cost FA is for. Fill the holes with cheap to mid-priced journeymen. Then build through the draft.

Personally, I don't expect much next year. We're not likely to get so lucky with an easy schedule and the tough teams all being faced during the worst streaks of their seasons. I don't see success next year. Just a chance to continue putting together the team that should start to look good soon.

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. But that's what low-cost FA is for. Fill the holes with cheap to mid-priced journeymen. Then build through the draft.

Personally, I don't expect much next year. We're not likely to get so lucky with an easy schedule and the tough teams all being faced during the worst streaks of their seasons. I don't see success next year. Just a chance to continue putting together the team that should start to look good soon.

Well... we all know you're a big Eeyore so it's not shocking you don't expect much next year.

I think McBeane has something different in mind... and given another year to build the team they want, 8 draft picks in the first 5 rounds and a free agency period soon underway... I think you're at best being cautious but most likely just being foolish tempering your expectations to the point where you believe this team takes a big step back next year.

Early stages... obviously... but I'm calling playoffs again. Now it's time to take the next step and win some playoff games :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

Regardless...there is nothing preventing us from going after Cousins because we no longer work on the cash to cap model.....we have a LARGE amount of cap space in the year after next....and contracts can be constructed to make it fit.

We have a large amount of cap space in 2019 largely because we don't have anybody really under contract. Once we start to construct a team we'll see what our space actually looks like. Right now we have no idea. It's like the guy in October saying "Man, my budget for next year looks fantastic. I haven't committed to spending almost anything. I'm gonna save a ton, ignoring the fact that his present lease runs out in December, he hasn't got a place to live, a car, any insurance ...  Sometimes a lot of future cap space is a fantastic thing. Other times it just means you haven't begun to make commitments to people yet. That's what it means for us. 

Leaving off guys like Tyrod and Wood, who are still listed but will actually be gone, here's what we have under contract:

Cordy Glenn

Jerry Hughes

McCoy

Charles Clay 

Micah Hyde

Jordan Poyer

Shaq Lawson

Hauschka

Tre White

Patrick DiMarco

Ducasse

Andre Holmes

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Adolphus Washington

Matt Milano

Nathan Peterman

That's not the core of a team, it just isn't. Don't get me wrong, there are a few more but the guys above are the ones who we'll be building around. For the record, here are the rest:

Marcus Murphy, Tanner Vallejo, Keith Towbridge, Breon Borders, Nordly Capi, Conor McDermott, Brandon Reilly, De'Ondre Wesley, Xavier Woodson-Luster, Cory Carter, Jason Croom, Malachi Dupre, Aaron Green, Rickey Hatley, Josh James, Marquavius Lewis and Adam Redmond.

So if you look at this whole group, do you see an o-line? A D-line? An LB corps? A QB? WRs? I certainly see our starting safeties and maybe a TE if they continue with mostly a one-TE attack, if they stay healthy, but beyond that?

The reason we have a lot of space is because we don't have a team yet for that year.

You look at who Philly already has under contract for 2019 and you're like, dang, that's a very good team already. Not us. We just don't know who we'll be.

Edited by Thurman#1