Old Time Buffalo Bills Players

Remember him well, another guy traded to the Skins because he was over the hill.

Was my next door neighbor for 4 years, started a construction company then moved away

A 1960's version of Bruce smith but I doubt he ever made more then $30,000 per year for the Bills.

He once got stuck in my wife's Volkswagen and couldn't get out.... pretty funny.

Image result for ron mcdole

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

I worked at Dubel's Bells on the Como Mall property in the late 70's.I remember Sunoco gas stations had stamps that they gave out..Bells did the same with the NHL. I believe this photo was taken on the Niagara University grounds during camp?

But the building in the background looks like Trico?

The building in the background was a "new" dorm in 68 or 69.

• Like (+1) 1

Wasn't it McDole and Paul McGuire who got thrown out of a some restaurant in S. buffalo for eating too many lobster dainties on all you could eat night?  I remember seeing a clip about that on some NFL Films special about the AFL Bills.....I think.....anyway McDole got out of Buffalo jusst in time to avoid the major suck of the early 70's.

3 hours ago, dhg said:

My dad used to get pissed seeing McDole play for the Skins.  Over the Hill Gang 

Your dad and mine had a lot in common!  My dad would finish it off with......."yep, another Buffalo Bills castoff!"

4 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Disagree, Sestak was the man, if his knees hadn't gone south, would have been one of the first AFL players in Canton.  You couldn't run inside on Buffalo in the mid 60's 17 straight games without a rushing touchdown.  McDole had a long and distinguished career, but he was far from the best on the Bills D-Line in the championship years.  The D-Lineman then were the size of today's LB's.

My Dad was at the AFL Championship game when Mike Stratton hit RB Keith Lincoln of the Chargers when he was catching a check down pass from the QB.  He said you could hear the hit in the stands.  Keith was OK afterwards but was knocked out cold at the time.  The Chargers just sort of folded up for the rest of the game after that.  

6 hours ago, gobillsinytown said:

My Dad was at the AFL Championship game when Mike Stratton hit RB Keith Lincoln of the Chargers when he was catching a check down pass from the QB.  He said you could hear the hit in the stands.  Keith was OK afterwards but was knocked out cold at the time.  The Chargers just sort of folded up for the rest of the game after that.  

I was there also, and you could clearly hear the hit.

I thought Lincoln was dead.

He wasn't OK. He had at least one broken rib.

• Like (+1) 1

The linebackers were Stratton, Harry Jacobson and Patton.  Corners Byrd and Edgerson. Safeties Saimes and I-forget.   My future wife worked at Aetna Insurance downtown and Harry sold life insurance over the summer.  All the secretaries was in awe of him. Still have a signed autograph of him and a 1940 banner with the standing buffalo.

11 hours ago, sherpa said:

Here's a bit of Ron McDole trivia.

He had a migraine problem.

He used to get some kind of physiological warning about five minutes before a migraine, but it was a serious issue.

Great player. Not Sestak, but really good.

"I used to have what was called migraine seizure," commented McDole. "It was the closest thing you could ever get to an epileptic attack. I had started getting those when I was with the Oilers. I would get really bad headaches. And I would react strangely to them. But Saban and the Bills were willing to take a chance on me when other teams wouldn't. I'll always be grateful to Lou for giving me that chance." ~Legends of the Buffalo Bills by Randy Schultz, p.44

24 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

The linebackers were Stratton, Harry Jacobson and Patton.  Corners Byrd and Edgerson. Safeties Saimes and I-forget.   My future wife worked at Aetna Insurance downtown and Harry sold life insurance over the summer.  All the secretaries was in awe of him. Still have a signed autograph of him and a 1940 banner with the standing buffalo.

No.

Jacobs, Stratton, John Tracey.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Yep.  Stratton, Jacobs and Tracey at LB.  safeties were Saimes and Tommy Janik or Hagoode Clarke.

Love hearing folks talk about the older Bills.  That defense that McDole was part of was great.  I remember once when Jim Dunaway scooped up a fumble and took off, the announcer called it a "Runaway with Dunaway".  Tom Day would knock down the ball carrier and then help him up.  

The players of the 1960's were blue collar guys active in communities like everyone else. There was a Tavern somewhere either in North Tonawanda or Tonawanda where Marty Schottenheimer played Uecker during the week. Different era!

One of my favorite Bills memories was when the Bills would play charity basketball games in the off-season.  They mostly had jobs in the area in the offseason.  My dad was always asked to ref the game at Cardinal O'Hara and he'd always take me with him.  I'd get to hang out in the locker room with guys like Stew Barber, Al Bemiller, Darryl Lamonica, Paul Costa, Ernie Warlick.  They were just great guys, nice as could be, and for a 10 year old kid to be able to hang out with the champs was something you never forget.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember back in the day my dad was involved in a Bills Backers club in Lancaster. Some players and sometimes coaches would come out each week to talk to the club and then hang around after the meeting for a meal and a few "adult beverages". Those days the players pretty much made workman's wages and were glad to show up for a free meal and a night of drinking "on the club". To the best of my memory the only player to turn down an invitation was Cookie Gilchrist (he wanted $100 appearance money).

My fondest memories were of Ernie Warlick, a real personable guy, he compared hand sizes with me, and my hand with outstretched fingers barely covered his palm ... the man had the biggest hands I've ever seen.

The club once had both Kemp & Lamonica the same night, they SAID the whole Kemp/Lamonica QB controversy was kind of funny and didn't bother them at all. After the meeting the guys started talking about Euchre, and my dad said that his son (me) was probably the best Euchre player in the room. Both Kemp & Lamonica laughed (I had to be about 10 or 11 at the time) and said let's play a game. They didn't want me & my dad to team up because we might have signals ... so my dad partnered with Kemp, and I partnered with Lamonica ... which to my eyes was perfect ... dad was a Kemp supporter, and I wanted Lamonica to be our starter. The Euchre game went back and forth tooth and nail. We ended up losing because Kemp caught Lamonica on a re-nig  on the last hand.

• Like (+1) 1