Bills can kill 2 birds with 1 stone

Buffalo716

14 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I didn't say not to improve the LB or DT positions, just that spending first rounders isn't what will make this a strong team.  From a resource allocation perspective I'll find LBs and DT's later in the draft and use premium picks on the hard to find positions. And if that means trading up for a QB then so be it. 

Few people know who plays DT for the Jaguars. Or, who the LBs are for Philadelphia. Or New England's OG's or safeties. 

I don't think that's the case at all... The network talking heads were fawning over the Jags D-line most of last season.. -Especially once Dareus got there.

Philly's LB's did some good things last season... Backed up a 2nd ranked rushing Defense... Including ole #53! -Folks around here know him REAL well...

And as for Brady's O-line, OF COURSE people (who follow the NFL) are aware of guys like Shaq Mason and Nate Solder... :lol: -Where do you get this stuff?

13 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Man, too bad Quenton Nelson is a top 10 lock, he is a future HOFer, he is my favorite player in the draft. I think Connor Williams is going to be an All Pro RT as well. If Cordy Glenn is traded, Dawkins and Connor Williams would make for a disgusting OL.

Hes a monster. But will be gone...  Price looks like a future all pro as well and even though I like Groy, they aren't in the same league talent wise

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

I don't think that's the case at all... The network talking heads were fawning over the Jags D-line most of last season.. -Especially once Dareus got there.

Philly's LB's did some good things last season... Backed up a 2nd ranked rushing Defense... Including ole #53! -Folks around here know him REAL well...

And as for Brady's O-line, OF COURSE people (who follow the NFL) are aware of guys like Shaq Mason and Nate Solder... :lol: -Where do you get this stuff?

Jacksonville's DL featured DE Yannick Ngakoue, DT Malik Jackson, DT Abry Jones, and DE Calais Campbell. That's a 3rd, 5th, UDFA, and a high dollar (4 yrs 60M) UFA. They started 16, 16, 15, and 16 games respectively. And yeah, they dealt for Dareus, giving up all of a 6th in return. One guy there acquired using premium resources.

Philly's main LBs were Bradham and Mychal Kendricks, who started 15 and 13 games respectively. The former was acquired in UFA on a 2 year 7M contract (!) and Kendricks was a 2nd round pick. Not huge resources there for a team with a pretty good defense. Bradham is a UFA next month.

New England's OL? Solder, Joe Thuney, David Andrews, Shaq Mason, and LaAdrian Waddle (in the SB) who replaced Marcus Cannon at RT.  That's a 1st rounder, 3rd rounder, UDFA, and 4th rounder, street FA, and 5th round pick.

Drafting RBs, interior OL, LBs, safeties, and DT's early is not how you rebuild. Those positions do not influence the outcome of games enough to use premium picks, particularly when you've got needs at QB, in the pass rush, and perhaps at CB. Deferring a decision on the latter will keep your team mediocre, which is what the Bills did for more than a decade.

22 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Drafting center in the first, is how you go on a 17 year playoff drought. 

Travis Frederick and Maurice pouncey certainly helped keep their QBs upright 

Zach Martin was a damn good 1st round pick for a interior lineman as well

late first is exactly the time to take an elite interior lineman. Especially if he's best available. Quintin Nelson if he was there is a no brainer

Eric wood certainly wasnt the reason we didn't make the playoffs for 18 years and he was a great late first pick

this is all about if we don't take a QB in the first... if we don't , then bolstering our line is definitely a way to go. No DE is worth this pick and probably not LBr

get an elite player 

i would never advocate to take one top 10 but with a late first I would... we can end up with a lot of busts at 21-22

Id just like at least 1 blue chipper with our 21-22 picks 

Edited by Buffalo716

48 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Jacksonville's DL featured DE Yannick Ngakoue, DT Malik Jackson, DT Abry Jones, and DE Calais Campbell. That's a 3rd, 5th, UDFA, and a high dollar (4 yrs 60M) UFA. They started 16, 16, 15, and 16 games respectively. And yeah, they dealt for Dareus, giving up all of a 6th in return. One guy there acquired using premium resources.

Philly's main LBs were Bradham and Mychal Kendricks, who started 15 and 13 games respectively. The former was acquired in UFA on a 2 year 7M contract (!) and Kendricks was a 2nd round pick. Not huge resources there for a team with a pretty good defense. Bradham is a UFA next month.

New England's OL? Solder, Joe Thuney, David Andrews, Shaq Mason, and LaAdrian Waddle (in the SB) who replaced Marcus Cannon at RT.  That's a 1st rounder, 3rd rounder, UDFA, and 4th rounder, street FA, and 5th round pick.

Drafting RBs, interior OL, LBs, safeties, and DT's early is not how you rebuild. Those positions do not influence the outcome of games enough to use premium picks, particularly when you've got needs at QB, in the pass rush, and perhaps at CB. Deferring a decision on the latter will keep your team mediocre, which is what the Bills did for more than a decade.

I get your point about not always chasing 1st rounders at certain positions... I just disagreed when you said few people knew who played OG, and Safety for

NE...I think QB is also one of those positions where you really DON'T need to be a 1st rounder in order to be effective. -As evidenced by the two 3rd rounders,

and 6th round QB that won the last three S-Bowls... In this instance, I just happen to feel that Payne is 1) a generational player 2) at a position of dire need,

and 3) at a place where we could get him.... I actually think there's J.A.G. QB's available later in this draft.

Edited by #34fan

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, Buffalo716 said:

James Daniels is a much, much better player than Billy Price. Just watching one game Ohio St./Iowa thererIf the Bills do not trade up and sit on the clock at 21-22 they can make a non flashy, but a very Dividends paying pick

if we sit at 21-22 and no QB is available I would run to the podium to select Billy Price C/OG from OSU

He is freakishly strong and very explosive and looks like a 12+ year mauler 

Slotting Price at C , we can move Groy to RG and kill 2 birds with 1 stone

we also can then flip Dawkins or Glenn to RT and we have a solid pair of bookend Tackles for years

Glenn-Incognito-Price-Groy-Dawkins looks like a damn fine line to me

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, Buffalo716 said:

If the Bills do not trade up and sit on the clock at 21-22 they can make a non flashy, but a very Dividends paying pick

if we sit at 21-22 and no QB is available I would run to the podium to select Billy Price C/OG from OSU

we also can then flip Dawkins or Glenn to RT and we have a solid pair of bookend Tackles for years

James Daniels of Iowa is much, much better than Billy Price. Just watch the Iowa/Ohio St. game (I've watched more games of both) and they are worlds apart in aggressiveness, positioning, and playing strength. If we draft Price and Daniels is available the Bills will deserve the criticism when Daniels is on the All-Rookie Team and starts going to Pro Bowls. Switch their college Unis and there would be no discussion on the better player is: James Daniels for Iowa.

5 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

I mean I don't think one game makes a career and I wouldn't say much much better.

James Daniels is really good but on the smaller side. Price can play 3 positions in the NFL at a high level

Daniels looks like a good zone center

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean I don't think one game makes a career and I wouldn't say much much better.

James Daniels is really good but on the smaller side. Price can play 3 positions in the NFL at a high level

Daniels looks like a good zone center

you watched a different game. If you can find it, watch it. If you still think so.....hmmmmm. He was blocking better competition. I have 4 Ohio St. games and three Iowa games. And yes he is a much, much better player. Price is a bigger yet more finesse player. Do we really want a swingman who may be a little above average or a great Center  who has not even turned 21 yet.

9 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

you watched a different game. If you can find it, watch it. If you still think so.....hmmmmm. He was blocking better competition. I have 4 Ohio St. games and three Iowa games. And yes he is a much, much better player. Price is a bigger yet more finesse player. Do we really want a swingman who may be a little above average or a great Center  who has not even turned 21 yet.

You seem to be one of the few who thinks price isn't the #1 center 

Daniels is good but I don't believe he's on Prices level... they can be equal... it's tough to translate centers 

I definitely wouldn't say Daniels is way way better ... that makes him sound like an All pro and price like a UDFA

Price will be a starting center day 1 for a long time

Edited by Buffalo716

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You seem to be one of the few who thinks price isn't the #1 center 

Daniels is good but I don't believe he's on Prices level... they can be equal... it's tough to translate centers 

I definitely wouldn't say Daniels is way way better ... that makes him sound like an All pro and price like a UDFA

Price will be a starting center day 1 for a long time

Didn't say UDFA I said above average swingman. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I respect your opinion. He certainly can be better , my premise was bolstering the line

TY 716. I respect your opinion and the purpose of this topic.  Sorry I got on such a tangent. Old guys like me tend to do that ! Glad we communicated privately to discuss further.  thanks again, brother

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

TY 716. I respect your opinion and the purpose of this topic.  Sorry I got on such a tangent. Old guys like me tend to do that ! Glad we communicated privately to discuss further.  thanks again, brother

I've been around long enough and around football players long enough to know that we butt heads sometimes

coaches and players, players and coaches, coaches and coaches disagree 

its why football is beautiful because you can have a guy like Fred Jackson, who the whole league passed on for years and told him he wasn't good enough ... show them he was tremendous and deserving 

Tony Romo was also undrafted and told he wasn't good enough to make it... 50,000 passing yards later...

hell I'll argue corners all day because it's my specialty, but I don't know everything about oline

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, #34fan said:

I get your point about not always chasing 1st rounders at certain positions... I just disagreed when you said few people knew who played OG, and Safety for

NE...I think QB is also one of those positions where you really DON'T need to be a 1st rounder in order to be effective. -As evidenced by the two 3rd rounders,

and 6th round QB that won the last three S-Bowls... In this instance, I just happen to feel that Payne is 1) a generational player 2) at a position of dire need,

and 3) at a place where we could get him.... I actually think there's J.A.G. QB's available later in this draft.

Fair enough. There's no question that the front 7 wasn't good enough last year and I wouldn't expect Buffalo to ignore that to go all-in on the QB. 

The draft picture should be a lot less cloudy after the first week of UFA.  

On 2/25/2018 at 3:07 PM, Buffalo716 said:

If the Bills do not trade up and sit on the clock at 21-22 they can make a non flashy, but a very Dividends paying pick

He just freakishly hurt his shoulder at the bench press in his first 3 try's at the combine !!

On 2/26/2018 at 12:16 AM, BillsVet said:

I didn't say not to improve the LB or DT positions, just that spending first rounders isn't what will make this a strong team.  From a resource allocation perspective I'll find LBs and DT's later in the draft and use premium picks on the hard to find positions. And if that means trading up for a QB then so be it. 

Few people know who plays DT for the Jaguars. Or, who the LBs are for Philadelphia. Or New England's OG's or safeties. 

McD didn't trade down so far last year to make sure he had the picks to get a DT or LB. He knew it'd take more draft capital in 2018 to move up for, I suspect, the QB.  Whether that happens now is another matter but I can't see this team entering the coming season without a QB prospect.

Besides, I wouldn't be depending so heavily on rookies to come in and provide the difference in the front 7 like you are. 

It is true that McDermott traded down last year in hopes of having ammo to get a QB this year, they ended up winning too much and losing that bet.  Their draft picks won’t be enough to get high enough for on of the top 2 or 3.  Not sure they should not be content moving up just a little to take their pick of who is left after the initial frenzy.