Bridge QB Reality Check

Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Let's see how it plays out with Tyrod... that situation still has a lot of room to run.  I still think the chance of him being here in September are very remote.  I think they can go with him if they want to (I'm pretty sure they don't) but they can also land a bridge Quarterback without the baggage of history here too.  They are in a decent position to do that.  

Sure....I just like that they are not jettisoning a starter without a plan in place

That never ends well

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Brady has 23 including the post-season! Rodgers has 28, Big Ben has 19, Flacco has 17. It isn't negligible.

Rodgers and Big Ben don't surprise me.  Flacco does a bit.  I wonder how many of Brady's were half yard and less sneaks?  

16 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I really don’t care what you do with your Sundays, I just think it’s interesting in terms of choices of what to do on a Sunday, you’re choosing to sit on a Bills message board insulting people rather than fishing or enjoying your day. 

Yikes!

sit on a message board? oh, so now posting on a forum is considered a day long thing? I know of one poster here that likely spends his day sitting on this board but I have been known to go days without a visit.

as for the topic that has been now beat to death. they will have their bridge QB but it wont likely be taylor. I see along with a new OC a new QB under center. some see it their way, I see it mine.

we all shall see soon enough.

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Look at the teams who are likely in the market for a bridge..... Buffalo, Cleveland, the Jets, Arizona and maybe Denver (though I still think Cousins goes there).  Is Arizona more attractive? Possibly but I don't think it is a slam dunk. We are not competing with the creme de la creme in this market.  If Buffalo is interested in Bradford as a bridge (I have no idea whether they are or not) I think they'd have a pretty good chance of landing him.  

I get all that and very fair response Gunner...but overall, lets look at all the other places (all things in the contract being equal) in a prove it short deal.  Just my opinion of course...

• Cleveland - Weather can suck too, so close to a wash.  WR group substantially better, and armed with great draft picks to potentially add more weapons.  So a QB who plays here can have a good array of offensive weapons to work with. 
  • Jets - Weather is close to a wash again. Our weapons at WR and RB are better than Jets, so we have a little advantage there.  Jets are a bigger market team, so could get more attention if he does well, so exposure advantage there.  But I also think Jets land Cousins, so not sure they will be in the market.  But they are close to Bills, but also more likely to pay more than the Bills...so advantage Jets.
  • Arizona - Better across the table than Buffalo for a prove it deal...better overall team, great weather, no big market media pressure, etc.  A guy goes there and has success, they can both hold the job and create demand for their future services because they can be a playoff team with good QB play or better.  
  • Denver - Weather is essentially a wash, but they have a better overall roster and good WR's to work with.  Like Denver, a guy goes in on a prove it deal could easily see that as a place to have a lot of success which both keeps the rookie on the bench and also greatly increases his value.  

So its not like Buffalo is some crap hole...but looking around at prove me spots, I would think Bills will have to outbid some of those other cities.  We have questions marks at WR, a new OC who has yet to prove himself in the NFL as an OC, bad weather, and so on.  I would think for them to choose us over one of the others its going to be because we need to outbid the others for their services.  

Again...just my opinions on how I would see each city and opportunity if I was a FA QB.  Buffalo would be last on my list on a prove it deal all things being equal because the other choices have a few or a lot of advantages that might help them shine more and for longer.  But they would also certainly sign here if we went after them to be a committed starter, only talking in an all things equal 1 year prove it deal (which is the only deal that makes sense for the Bills if they trade up for a QB).  

Edited by Alphadawg7

I disagree with your analysis.  I'd put the Bills ahead of the Jets and Cleveland as options for someone like a Sam Bradford.  And even if they don't get Bradford there is McCarron and Bridgewater and McCown and Fitzpatrick.  The Bills are not going to struggle to find a bridge Quarterback.  There are loads of them out there.  Bradford is probably the number 1 "bridge guy" but he is far from the only option.  They have to rip off the band aid on Tyrod.  Even if it means a downgrade bridge for what we both agree could be a very small number of games at the start of 2018 (if they even make it out of camp not already the backup).  

4 hours ago, simool said:

I wonder how many light bulbs could be powered with the energy spent here on pointless hypotheses and theories? It has to be a BIG number.

Aren't they all? :D

2 minutes ago, GrizzReaper said:

Sign Fitz! LoL

Sounds good to me, he always starts out great, then falters, that's when we make the switch to the rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

Just gonna throw this out...even though a few trolls mocked the thread and accused me of it being some BS look at me nonsense, I have rather enjoyed the general discussion from just about everyone else...even those with disagreeing opinions.  So thanks for all the back and forth even if some don't share my original thoughts on the matter!

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just gonna throw this out...even though a few trolls mocked the thread and accused me of it being some BS look at me nonsense, I have rather enjoyed the general discussion from just about everyone else...even those with disagreeing opinions.  So thanks for all the back and forth even if some don't share my original thoughts on the matter!

sorry to cause you such grief. at first it was in fun but you and a couple others got all jaded. so yeah, it was trolling I suppose but you really didn't need to get all bent over it.

taylor threads are a dime a dozen and I saw nothing real special about the take in this one so I guess I should of just stayed out of it then feelings may of been spared.

5 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

sorry to cause you such grief. at first it was in fun but you and a couple others got all jaded. so yeah, it was trolling I suppose but you really didn't need to get all bent over it.

taylor threads are a dime a dozen and I saw nothing real special about the take in this one so I guess I should of just stayed out of it then feelings may of been spared.

Lol, my feelings aren't hurt, I could care less on a personal level.  The only real pet peeve I have is that its a way to common and annoying response will people just start slamming peoples intentions.  For instance, if anyone looked at my post history, it would be pretty clear I am not a "look at me" kind of person.  Although, in defense of people like you, there are plenty of those types that do get out of hand here who we dont really need to name.

All good man,  I just honestly enjoyed the convo and many contributed well thought out rebuttals.  My kind of thread...

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, my feelings aren't hurt, I could care less on a personal level.  The only real pet peeve I have is that its a way to common and annoying response will people just start slamming peoples intentions.  For instance, if anyone looked at my post history, it would be pretty clear I am not a "look at me" kind of person.  Although, in defense of people like you, there are plenty of those types that do get out of hand here who we dont really need to name.

All good man,  I just honestly enjoyed the convo and many contributed well thought out rebuttals.  My kind of thread...

hey, honestly, you're one of the more knowledgeable posters here. but that's coming from people like me.

it was all in fun.