Bridge QB Reality Check

Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Sam Bradford has never come close to playing as well as Smith did last year for more than a single game, let alone a season. And regardless of that, Alex Smith isn't going to come anywhere close to replicating his 2017 unless Washington brings in some serious help on O.

yeah.

even alex smith never came close to playing as well as alex smith did last year haha.

career wise, alex smith is an above average at best game manager.

he's not going to wow you with his stats, and the issue with those type of guys is that if your defense has an even below average day, you tend to lose 90% of the time.

bradford is still 3-4 years younger than smith, and he also has had a lot of injuries hinder his performance in the league/ability to get into a rhythm.

smith has had a better career for sure, even if you look at bradford without the injuries.

smith has definitely had better teams/coaches overall than bradford though too.

(by the way, i think bradford would be a solid, above average QB if it wasn't for the injury history. i don't trust his knee as far as i can throw him)

The only thing Taylor can mentor a young QB on is how to be a professional football player. Taylor has been a fairly good teammate. Taylor has up to this point been for wise when it comes to the business side of the NFL and how to conduct yourself. 

I am not totally sure what if anything Taylor can teach a QB about playing QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The only thing Taylor can mentor a young QB on is how to be a professional football player. Taylor has been a fairly good teammate. Taylor has up to this point been for wise when it comes to the business side of the NFL and how to conduct yourself. 

I am not totally sure what if anything Taylor can teach a QB about playing QB.

Again...why is Taylor teaching the QB to play QB?  Thats the job of the staff not the QB.  Since when is the model to get first a GOOD starting QB so you can then draft a rookie to start over?  Teams drafting QB's high dont put this requisite to have a quality starter first.

What stud QB did Watson learn from?  Or Wilson?  Or Big Ben?  I mean I dont get this at all.  Sure some QBs are blessed to get drafted behind legends ending their career like how Jimmy G was in NE, or Rogers was behind Farve.  But MOST are taken because the team has crap at QB.  And even then, Farve didn't teach Rogers anything and bragged about that.  Brady is rumored to have always been cold to the other QB's in the room too in the past.  

This is a common yet baffling response around here and I just dont get it at all.  

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Another worthless and utterly lazy comment that has nothing to do with the thread where it deals directly the REALITY of what our OPTIONS truly are as a BRIDGE.  And the thread literally says TRADING TT would be ideal.  

But thanks for trying...well not really.  And sorry, but to call my post a look at me thread is stupid.  I could care less...but I wanted to discuss the real realities of what our REAL choices for bridges are where we focused on the real variables of what will make one possible over the other.  

seems you're the lazy one. starting a useless thread where your OP could and was in so many words in another of the 10 taylor threads. but hey, I'm the lazy one calling you out and find it funny others creating duplicate threads seem to catch hell but you're special since your post is so important.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

seems you're the lazy one. starting a useless thread where your OP could and was in so many words in another of the 10 taylor threads. but hey, I'm the lazy one calling you out and find it funny others creating duplicate threads seem to catch hell but you're special since your post is so important.

Geezus...get over yourself.  I simply wanted to talk SPECIFICALLY about the realities of the bridge QB.  If you dont want to read it, then dont read it.  No one cares about whether you think its a good topic or not.  I love all these self entitled people who think they are the ones who decide what is or isnt thread worthy.  I could give 2 sh*ts about attention and don't start that many threads in the first place...apparently you need it though based on your posts here. 

Good luck with that ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wait so now Tyrod is the QB coach, OC, and Head Coach?  

No disrespect to you, but this response is way outside the realm of reality.  Its not the starters job to teach the young QB in any way shape or form.  Thats what the coaching staff is for.

Who cares though...you dont seem to understand what a seat warmer is.  Its NOT in any shape way or form about their play, its about just trotting anyone out there while the staff works to get the rookie to take over forever.  That can be one game in or 16 games in.  Who is out there in between literally has no relevance of any kind.  Ideally you would like someone who can at least keep you competitive, but even thats not very important.   So who cars if Bradford is better or worse than TT...its irrelevant, NEITHER of them will be the QB past this year, if even this year at all if the rookie comes on strong early.

...never said he was the teacher or professor.....what of those traits do you want your 1st round rook and Peterman to inherit?....didn't TT sit behind Flacco to learn and inherit?.....so what is he bringing to the table as your bridge guy and how or what do you want him to bring?.....

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

the idea is improve year by year which is what Bradford is doing.  Taylor is getting worse.   They would have beaten Jacksonville with a healthy Bradford.  Taylor gave them no shot.  In fact it was the 4th game of the season where his play was so poor the team had no realistic chance of winning no matter how good the defense played 

Unfortunately there is no way to know that. More likely Bradford ends on IR than start a playoff game for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...never said he was the teacher or professor.....what of those traits do you want your 1st round rook and Peterman to inherit?....didn't TT sit behind Flacco to learn and inherit?.....so what is he bringing to the table as your bridge guy and how or what do you want him to bring?.....

But they are not sitting to learn behind the starter.  They are learning from the staff.  Thats all I am saying.  MOST highly drafted rookies dont have the luxury of sitting behind a very good starter unless they are drafted to be the heir apparent on an aging one, or they are a lower drafted rookie taken as a project to develop like how TT was in Balt behind Flacco. 

When you take a rookie high its because you dont have a good starter.  So this notion that we need use valuable cap space to get someone else to be a mentor doesn't make sense.  And guys like Bradford are not looking for jobs to be coaches to kids to take their job in the first place.  

Most high draft pick QB's play behind guys worse than TT.  Its literally the single least important part of the "bridge", being a mentor.  And no good starting quality QB is trying to find a job to be a coach to a rookie right now either.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again...why is Taylor teaching the QB to play QB?  Thats the job of the staff not the QB.  Since when is the model to get first a GOOD starting QB so you can then draft a rookie to start over?  Teams drafting QB's high dont put this requisite to have a quality starter first.

What stud QB did Watson learn from?  Or Wilson?  Or Big Ben?  I mean I dont get this at all.  Sure some QBs are blessed to get drafted behind legends ending their career like how Jimmy G was in NE, or Rogers was behind Farve.  But MOST are taken because the team has crap at QB.  And even then, Farve didn't teach Rogers anything and bragged about that.  Brady is rumored to have always been cold to the other QB's in the room too in the past.  

This is a common yet baffling response around here and I just dont get it at all.  

Ok, fair point. Why would you want Tyrod around a high draft pick? Do you want Tyrod to stay QB for another year? 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so what exactly is he bridging?......his defensive read prowess?......his ability to go through ALL of his progressions in 5 seconds or less?......spotting or trusting his receivers versus throwing to the RW bronze statute out front of the joint?.....ability to take this club down the field with 2:28 left in the 4th down by seven, with an executed 2 minute drill to tie the bad boy up?.....ability to put this club on his shoulders when the running game crashes and execute a prolific aerial attack when needed to get the W?.......can he go tit for tat in a game that become a defenseless shootout?.....I'm thinkin' the "Bridge Over The River Kwai" at this rate......Jesus......as much as I like the kid, let's be realistic here...

not to mention, he has already taken a pay cut and refuses to do so again....got benched,  and if he does stay is expected to groom his successor as soon as possible.  for those who say keep him as a bridge, ask yourself , why would he want to be here?  besides that, peterman will probably take the job from him by september.

while i agree that overpaying and giving multiple years to someone like keenum after drafting the best prospect we can this year probably doesn't make sense, what makes less sense is the embarrassment of rolling out tyrod as a starter after scoring 3 points in the first playoff game in 17 years. i don't see it happening.

we'd be better starting nate and drafting 2 qbs.  maybe mayfield and then ferguson later.

i myself would love to have foles or even sign a.j. to a 3 yr. gig then take vea and hurst with our 1st 2 picks. ...or at least one of the top dts and lb or edge. interior of this dline is the most important non qb improvement needed. who knows how it will play out.

they will have a trade for tt all lined up come fa or will have a draft day deal made.

Edited by billsredneck1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But they are not sitting to learn behind the starter.  They are learning from the staff.  Thats all I am saying.  MOST highly drafted rookies dont have the luxury of sitting behind a very good starter unless they are drafted to be the heir apparent on an aging one, or they are a lower drafted rookie taken as a project to develop like how TT was in Balt behind Flacco. 

When you take a rookie high its because you dont have a good starter.  So this notion that we need use valuable cap space to get someone else to be a mentor doesn't make sense.  And guys like Bradford are not looking for jobs to be coaches to kids to take their job in the first place.  

Most high draft pick QB's play behind guys worse than TT.  Its literally the single least important part of the "bridge", being a mentor.  And no good starting quality QB is trying to find a job to be a coach to a rookie right now either.  

...just differing opinions and CERTAINLY respect yours....exactly how this place is supposed to work......thanks for your response........:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1. Who cares who the bridge QB is?  Its a temp job and they may not even start a single game.  It does NOT matter who it is.  What does matter is cap space, and using cap space stupidly is not going to do the Bills any favors in building a winner.  And overpaying to have a bridge whose name isnt Tyrod is a bad use of cap space, especially on a multi year deal.

If we can trade Tyrod, even better as we get something for him now and Peterman can be the bridge or we sign a CHEAP FA QB, not Bradford level, on a 1 year deal to keep seat warm like a McCown or even someone like Kap...guys who wont have as many other options or leverage in negotiating the deal.  At the end of the day, does not matter who the guy out there is...its short lived and they may even lose their job before the season begins if the rookie starts hot.  

Trade Tyrod for what? What value does he have on the market? I would rather trade or cut Tryrod and move on. I'm not afraid of going with Peterman if that is the option. With the additional cap space you can have more roster flexibility. As you noted the hope is that the Bills acquire a high end qb prospect . Then hopefully in the immediate or not too distant future the prospect becomes the starting qb. 

Although the Bills fortuitously made the playoffs last year I still consider them in a rebuilding mode. So my preference is to get the prospect on the field sooner rather than later and continue on with the building process. The priority is getting the prospect in the pipeline as soon as possible. 

Whaley was ready to move on from Taylor but because he lost his authority he couldn't act on it. McDermott was only willing to retain TT on a cheapened contract. After scanning the market with no takers Taylor decided to stay with a lesser contract. He is a seven year veteran and a known quantity. His lack of value in the market is a reflection as to how he plays.

I have had enough of this pop warner offense. It's time to move on. If you like Taylor as a player and a person then you should want him to move on and seek a better situation for himself. Being in a situation where the team wants a better option is an awkward situation for him and the teams. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

yeah.

even alex smith never came close to playing as well as alex smith did last year haha.

career wise, alex smith is an above average at best game manager.

he's not going to wow you with his stats, and the issue with those type of guys is that if your defense has an even below average day, you tend to lose 90% of the time.

bradford is still 3-4 years younger than smith, and he also has had a lot of injuries hinder his performance in the league/ability to get into a rhythm.

smith has had a better career for sure, even if you look at bradford without the injuries.

smith has definitely had better teams/coaches overall than bradford though too.

(by the way, i think bradford would be a solid, above average QB if it wasn't for the injury history. i don't trust his knee as far as i can throw him)

The Chiefs D was at or below average this year, yet Smith had his best year and they won 10 games.

His HC is perennial coaching liability Andy Reid.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

yet, another taylor thread.

34163528.jpg

And so you follow it up with a condescending and immature "look at me" post rather than maturely ignoring his thread.

Vicious cycle as it goes.

His might be a "look at me" thread, but it's a thoughtful one that really only has to exist because tribalism is making some of you anTy Taylor guys absolutely insane... like to the point where people are actually saying Trevor Siemian and Rick Mirer are/were better QBs than Tyrod Taylor.

If McBeane sees our QB situation the same way as the OP, which I think is rather likely, then I really hope the fish are abundant for you on those Fall Sundays that you refuse to watch a team you've been a fan of for 45 years because... well... I guess you legitimately view Taylor as the worst starting QB in a Bills uniform in nearly half a century...?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Chiefs D was at or below average this year, yet Smith had his best year and they won 10 games.

His HC is perennial coaching liability Andy Reid.

I was speaking historically for his career

2017 was far and away his best season

I'm willing to bet it being an outlier, not the norm going forward

Alex Smith went 9-6 this year.

He didn't play the last game that they won.

He only won 2 games in which the team gave up more than 20 points, the season opener and against Houston.

I fail to see what your point is, or how anything I said wasn't true?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

#5 is really the biggest point here. And the one the “anyone but Tyrod” maniacs can’t seem to grasp. 

Does it really matter who the qb is next year as long as the bills get their guy in the draft this spring? I keep seeing “I can’t sit through another year of Taylor. Blah blah blah..... uhhh I could totally sit through another competitive playoff push knowing a rookie is developing and waiting patiently to take over. 

Other than cousins does anyone truly honestly believe any of the vet qb’s out there push the bills past 9 or 10 wins? 

Foles, is my preference to trade for if he becomes available

but i agree with you 

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And so you follow it up with a condescending and immature "look at me" post rather than maturely ignoring his thread.

Vicious cycle as it goes.

His might be a "look at me" thread, but it's a thoughtful one that really only has to exist because tribalism is making some of you anTy Taylor guys absolutely insane... like to the point where people are actually saying Trevor Siemian and Rick Mirer are/were better QBs than Tyrod Taylor.

If McBeane sees our QB situation the same way as the OP, which I think is rather likely, then I really hope the fish are abundant for you on those Fall Sundays that you refuse to watch a team you've been a fan of for 45 years because... well... I guess you legitimately view Taylor as the worst starting QB in a Bills uniform in nearly half a century...?

does it bother you I may want to do what I want to do with my sunday? you keeping track? seems you are and it must disturb you in some way to keep mentioning it. for someone who has asked to ignore them, well, here you are.

as for the OP and his lamp thread. I have seen countless times where some have caught hell for creating duplicate threads but apparently some over look some and the automated mod lets the OP slide because well, it's a whole new take on tyrod taylor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I was speaking historically for his career

2017 was far and away his best season

I'm willing to bet it being an outlier, not the norm going forward

Alex Smith went 9-6 this year.

He didn't play the last game that they won.

He only won 2 games in which the team gave up more than 20 points, the season opener and against Houston.

I fail to see what your point is, or how anything I said wasn't true?

You said if his D is below average, they lose "90%" of their games.  Their D was great last few years, they won 11-12 games with smith.  Their D is below average this year, they still win 60% of their games.  Played well in the playoff game too.  

I was showing you how your claim was wrong bout Smith.