Bridge QB Reality Check

Alphadawg7

Why do people think guys like Bradford, AJ, Keenum, etc are realistic targets as bridge QB's to a high rookie draft pick this year?  Why on earth would they come to Buffalo to do that?

1. We have a first time OC who has a terrible NFL record as an OC and known for power run game on a team that has been a run first team here.  And our OL isnt exactly stellar at keeping QB's upright with some holes to fill on it still.
  2. They dont know if they will start the whole season, or even at all if the rookie comes out hot in preseason.
  3. The bridge QB will be on a short leash and cant afford bad games because they can lose their job at any moment.  And Buffalo is a run first team who plays outdoors in bad weather, not exactly an ideal location to try and hold a job on a short leash.  Plus we have an injury prone #1 WR and a young WR in Zay at #2 who struggled bad in his rookie year.
  4. They will have multiple teams interested in their services, so they WONT sign in Buffalo for 1 year.  Means Buffalo will need to give them more expensive deal than Tyrod and it will be a multi year deal.
    1. That leaves the Bills with an expensive backup after this year chewing up cap space...whereas Tyrod comes off the books after this year and clears the way for a cheap backup in Peterman (if he can earn the job) or signing a low budget FA QB to be a backup.
  5. Who cares who the bridge QB is?  Its a temp job and they may not even start a single game.  It does NOT matter who it is.  What does matter is cap space, and using cap space stupidly is not going to do the Bills any favors in building a winner.  And overpaying to have a bridge whose name isnt Tyrod is a bad use of cap space, especially on a multi year deal.

Bottom line, Tyrod is a substantially SMARTER move to be a bridge behind a top QB prospect.  He is cheap and only has 1 year left on his deal.  Plus he knows the team and players, is the hardest working guy on the roster, respected by his teammates as a leader, has a winning record despite 2 HC's and now 4 OC's in Buffalo, dealt with poor arsenal of revolving door of WR's (due to injuries, trades, and FA), and just made the playoffs.

If we can trade Tyrod, even better as we get something for him now and Peterman can be the bridge or we sign a CHEAP FA QB, not Bradford level, on a 1 year deal to keep seat warm like a McCown or even someone like Kap...guys who wont have as many other options or leverage in negotiating the deal.  At the end of the day, does not matter who the guy out there is...its short lived and they may even lose their job before the season begins if the rookie starts hot.  

But a pricey "bridge" like Bradford, Keenum, etc just isnt happening unless Bills make a bad decision by over paying on a multi year deal to try and get them to choose Bills over better situations.  Now if they want to sign Bradford as the starter and forego drafting a rookie, then sure, they can sign him.  But I don't think anyone thinks thats a good idea, and I doubt Beane does either.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am not sure what Bradford will cost, but he is better than "bridge level.   For me keeping Tyrod isn't an option.  The next domino to fall should be the Vikings.  If Keenum and Bradford both hit free agency then the Board opens up .  Add Cousins and you have three solidvet  qb options, plus the draft  .     With 5 teams in play for starters.  

8 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

I am not sure what Bradford will cost, but he is better than "bridge level.   For me keeping Tyrod isn't an option.  The next domino to fall should be the Vikings.  If Keenum and Bradford both hit free agency then the Board opens up .  Add Cousins and you have three solidvet  qb options, plus the draft  .     With 5 teams in play for starters.  

Based on what exactly? His entire career says otherwise.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/22/2018 at 5:59 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

No matter how much disdain anyone has for Tyrod, he makes the most sense to be the BRIDGE guy for whatever rookie we draft over a FA.  

1. He already knows the team, players, and most the coaches and he is a good teammate and leader with the players who works his butt off
  2. But MOST importantly, he would ONLY be under contract ONE more season and then next year we can sign an inexpensive backup or have cheap Peterman backup whatever rookie we draft this year.  
  3. If we were to cut Tyrod and sign a quality Vet, its going to probably require at least a 2 year contract as there will be competition for their services and that deal is also going to be as much, if not more, as Tyrods.  So when our rookie becomes our starter during his first year or to start the 2nd year, we are going to have more cap space sunk into a bench QB where as Tyrods deal comes off the books with no dead cap space hit.  

So who cares who the bridge QB is, might as well roll with a guy who knows the team, is liked by his teammates, has a winning record, and just led the Bills to the playoffs with a team friendly contract that comes off the books at the end of the year.

look familiar?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

when healthy Bradford is a very good qb.  It is a gamble . It the guy always going to get hurt ? Noway to tell.  Plenty of plyers had injury issues then not .  

He's rarely healthy, true. But he's also very average even when healthy. Definitely not 'very good' and definitely no more than a bridge.

#5 is really the biggest point here. And the one the “anyone but Tyrod” maniacs can’t seem to grasp. 

Does it really matter who the qb is next year as long as the bills get their guy in the draft this spring? I keep seeing “I can’t sit through another year of Taylor. Blah blah blah..... uhhh I could totally sit through another competitive playoff push knowing a rookie is developing and waiting patiently to take over. 

Other than cousins does anyone truly honestly believe any of the vet qb’s out there push the bills past 9 or 10 wins? 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, baskingridgebillsfan said:

welp in 2016 his qb rating was 99.   Started last year with a game that he hit 124 rating so. yeah. I call that very good 

welp, over his career as a starter his QB Rating is 85.1. His YPA is 6.6, his TD% is 3.5, and his ANY/A is 5.58. All of those numbers are very average (at best).

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do people think guys like Bradford, AJ, Keenum, etc are realistic targets as bridge QB's to a high rookie draft pick this year?  Why on earth would they come to Buffalo to do that?

1. We have a first time OC who has a terrible NFL record as an OC and known for power run game on a team that has been a run first team here.  And our OL isnt exactly stellar at keeping QB's upright with some holes to fill on it still.
  2. They dont know if they will start the whole season, or even at all if the rookie comes out hot in preseason.
  3. The bridge QB will be on a short leash and cant afford bad games because they can lose their job at any moment.  And Buffalo is a run first team who plays outdoors in bad weather, not exactly an ideal location to try and hold a job on a short leash.  Plus we have an injury prone #1 WR and a young WR in Zay at #2 who struggled bad in his rookie year.
  4. They will have multiple teams interested in their services, so they WONT sign in Buffalo for 1 year.  Means Buffalo will need to give them more expensive deal than Tyrod and it will be a multi year deal.
    1. That leaves the Bills with an expensive backup after this year chewing up cap space...whereas Tyrod comes off the books after this year and clears the way for a cheap backup in Peterman (if he can earn the job) or signing a low budget FA QB to be a backup.
  5. Who cares who the bridge QB is?  Its a temp job and they may not even start a single game.  It does NOT matter who it is.  What does matter is cap space, and using cap space stupidly is not going to do the Bills any favors in building a winner.  And overpaying to have a bridge whose name isnt Tyrod is a bad use of cap space, especially on a multi year deal.

Bottom line, Tyrod is a substantially SMARTER move to be a bridge behind a top QB prospect.  He is cheap and only has 1 year left on his deal.  Plus he knows the team and players, is the hardest working guy on the roster, respected by his teammates as a leader, has a winning record despite 2 HC's and now 4 OC's in Buffalo, dealt with poor arsenal of revolving door of WR's (due to injuries, trades, and FA), and just made the playoffs.

If we can trade Tyrod, even better as we get something for him now and Peterman can be the bridge or we sign a CHEAP FA QB, not Bradford level, on a 1 year deal to keep seat warm like a McCown or even someone like Kap...guys who wont have as many other options or leverage in negotiating the deal.  At the end of the day, does not matter who the guy out there is...its short lived and they may even lose their job before the season begins if the rookie starts hot.  

But a pricey "bridge" like Bradford, Keenum, etc just isnt happening unless Bills make a bad decision by over paying on a multi year deal to try and get them to choose Bills over better situations.  Now if they want to sign Bradford as the starter and forego drafting a rookie, then sure, they can sign him.  But I don't think anyone thinks thats a good idea, and I doubt Beane does either.

....so what exactly is he bridging?......his defensive read prowess?......his ability to go through ALL of his progressions in 5 seconds or less?......spotting or trusting his receivers versus throwing to the RW bronze statute out front of the joint?.....ability to take this club down the field with 2:28 left in the 4th down by seven, with an executed 2 minute drill to tie the bad boy up?.....ability to put this club on his shoulders when the running game crashes and execute a prolific aerial attack when needed to get the W?.......can he go tit for tat in a game that become a defenseless shootout?.....I'm thinkin' the "Bridge Over The River Kwai" at this rate......Jesus......as much as I like the kid, let's be realistic here...

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

welp, over his career as a starter his QB Rating is 85.1. His YPA is 6.6, his TD% is 3.5, and his ANY/A is 5.58. All of those numbers are very average (at best).

the idea is improve year by year which is what Bradford is doing.  Taylor is getting worse.   They would have beaten Jacksonville with a healthy Bradford.  Taylor gave them no shot.  In fact it was the 4th game of the season where his play was so poor the team had no realistic chance of winning no matter how good the defense played 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, baskingridgebillsfan said:

the idea is improve year by year which is what Bradford is doing.  Taylor is getting worse.   They would have beaten Jacksonville with a healthy Bradford.  Taylor gave them no shot.  In fact it was the 4th game of the season where his play was so poor the team had no realistic chance of winning no matter how good the defense played 

Teams are not going to evaluate Bradford on a single game vs his entire career. He's played 16 games twice in an 8 year career and he's been average when he has played. Bradford has never played in a playoff game in his 8 year career. You have no idea what he'd have done, especially with our roster instead of the ones he's had. I'd be willing to bet that 0 NFL GMs see Bradford as a long term solution, so he's a bridge.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Teams are not going to evaluate Bradford on a single game vs his entire career. He's played 16 games twice in an 8 year career and he's been average when he has played. Bradford has never played in a playoff game in his 8 year career. You have no idea what he'd have done, especially with our roster instead of the ones he's had. I'd be willing to bet that 0 NFL GMs see Bradford as a long term solution, so he's a bridge.

Alex Smith improved since his early days and so has Bradford.  You can look back at all of his stats early on but this is a what have you done recently league.  Besides his health, he's been pretty good.  

53 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

yet, another taylor thread.

34163528.jpg

Another worthless and utterly lazy comment that has nothing to do with the thread where it deals directly the REALITY of what our OPTIONS truly are as a BRIDGE.  And the thread literally says TRADING TT would be ideal.  

But thanks for trying...well not really.  And sorry, but to call my post a look at me thread is stupid.  I could care less...but I wanted to discuss the real realities of what our REAL choices for bridges are where we focused on the real variables of what will make one possible over the other.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

Alex Smith improved since his early days and so has Bradford.  You can look back at all of his stats early on but this is a what have you done recently league.  Besides his health, he's been pretty good.  

Sam Bradford has never come close to playing as well as Smith did last year for more than a single game, let alone a season. And regardless of that, Alex Smith isn't going to come anywhere close to replicating his 2017 unless Washington brings in some serious help on O.

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so what exactly is he bridging?......his defensive read prowess?......his ability to go through ALL of his progressions in 5 seconds or less?......spotting or trusting his receivers versus throwing to the RW bronze statute out front of the joint?.....ability to take this club down the field with 2:28 left in the 4th down by seven, with an executed 2 minute drill to tie the bad boy up?.....ability to put this club on his shoulders when the running game crashes and execute a prolific aerial attack when needed to get the W?.......can he go tit for tat in a game that become a defenseless shootout?.....I'm thinkin' the "Bridge Over The River Kwai" at this rate......Jesus......as much as I like the kid, let's be realistic here...

Wait so now Tyrod is the QB coach, OC, and Head Coach?  

No disrespect to you, but this response is way outside the realm of reality.  Its not the starters job to teach the young QB in any way shape or form.  Thats what the coaching staff is for.

16 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Who cares though...you dont seem to understand what a seat warmer is.  Its NOT in any shape way or form about their play, its about just trotting anyone out there while the staff works to get the rookie to take over forever.  That can be one game in or 16 games in.  Who is out there in between literally has no relevance of any kind.  Ideally you would like someone who can at least keep you competitive, but even thats not very important.   So who cars if Bradford is better or worse than TT...its irrelevant, NEITHER of them will be the QB past this year, if even this year at all if the rookie comes on strong early.

Edited by Alphadawg7