Thoughts and speculations

Tipster19

Thinking about the upcoming season and what the Buffalo Bills might do. 

Thinking about Tyrod and where his value would be the highest. It would be with Buffalo, barring injury to any other team’s QB. I don’t see any team wanting him as their starter as of now unless they were forced. Seattle would remotely be in need if Russell Wilson chooses baseball over football. Currently there is nothing that makes me believe in that though.

I could see Beane finishing off most of the players on the roster that were of the previous regime, pushing for a youth movement and also getting contracts in line. Moving up in the draft and overlaying in FA and/or veterans in a trade isn’t the best way to use our resources or managing the salary cap. I believe that staying put with our draft picks gives us the best franchise friendly contracts.

One of The moves is to trade off Incognito. Not only is he firmly in the back 9 of his career and is paid over 6M this year but I think that whole thing that went down with Jacksonville’s DL Yannick Ngakoue didn’t leave the best taste in the new regime’s mouth. Purely speculation but Incognito isn’t the best image maker. There’s several teams that need G help, teams like Denver, Minnesota, etc etc. The biggest prospect for LG on the market is going to be Carolina’s 25 year old FA Andrew Norwell. If the Bills can land him in free agency then that would be a huge victory for them, especially if they structure a very friendly long term contract.

Speaking of the OL the untimely loss of Eric Wood didn’t do us any favors. If Groy isn’t an adequate replacement I don’t think that the Bills will take a C early in this draft, it’s suppose to be pretty deep for OLinemen and I think a mid round pick just might do the trick.

Before I move on I would like to say that I would be shocked if the Bills don’t trade Cordy Glenn. The Colts would make a good trade partner. Big part of Andrew Luck’s injury is greatly contributed to their shoddy OL play. I’m quite confident that Cordy would be of great value to them. Unfortunately the right side of our OL is still lacking greatly and I don’t have any idea how the Bills will address this. 

I hope that Buffalo doesn’t use all their prime resources to move up in this draft, especially that none of the prospects are a guarantee at this time to be a great starter right out of the gate. Lamar Jackson looks to be available when we pick and using Tyrod as a bridge QB would make a lot of sense. 

One thing that I would like to have some input on is that Beane strikes me as a no nonsense type of guy and he already has proven that he is not the sentimental/loyal type to anybody. I’m not faulting him, he might be exactly what we need but all of this is still too early to tell how successful his tenure is going to turn out. I bring this up because he comes off as a hard ass all the while McDermott speaks of love and chemistry. That strikes me as a hard sell while the guy upstairs is more than willing to blaze a swath through the roster. Any thoughts on this?

I don’t know what kind of compensation that the Bills can command in trade of the above named players, that’s well above my head, but I’m sure Beane will bring fair market value back to to the Bills so they can parlay that into improving the roster.

If the Bills do stand pat in the 1st rd and then grabs a QB then I sure hope that their next pick is spent on a DT. What was a big strength a couple/few years ago is now a big time soft spot.

Apparently it recently came to light that the Bills were 1 of a few teams that were interested in trading for Pittsburgh WR Martavis Bryant. Man, I for one is glad that that didn’t go down! The guy is on a pitch count with suspensions and doesn’t strike me as a great team player. I’m out on this one. 

In conclusion I just want to say that the upcoming draft and season looks to be something much different than what we have been used to for the last couple of decades, that it’s very unpredictable. I for one is very excited and once again optimistic. 

Go Bills!

Edited by Tipster19
Misspells
  • Like (+1) 1

I have been one of the biggest TT supporters.....but I cannot get past the fact that he was benched for a 5th round rookie this past year in a game where we needed a win.

To me this is really gonna depend on the new OC.....can he put the offense that was 6th in the league in points back in place where TT was servicable (but not statistically great)

That is gonna tell me a lot about what they do there....regardless of that I am positive that we look for our next qb in this draft.   The question is does moving up just flat cost to much in Beans eyes and does he feel a guy lime Jackson could be the guy with a year holding a clipboard (or less)

Tyrod can't be a good fit for Daboll system.  Daboll runs the Perkins Erhardt system and if his variations of the system is anywhere near how the Pats run it  Tyrod will not fit. I would love to see Bradford as our Bridge QB i think he fits like a glove. Maybe just maybe he can stay healthy in this scheme considering there's a ton of quick pass plays on pick & rub routes . We keep our tackles Cordy moves to the right that would give Bradford the protection he needs.  

10 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

One of The moves is to trade off Incognito. Not only is he firmly in the back 9 of his career and is paid over 6M this year but I think that whole thing that went down with Jacksonville’s DL Yannick Ngakoue didn’t leave the best taste in the new regime’s mouth. Purely speculation but Incognito isn’t the best image maker. There’s several teams that need G help, teams like Denver, Minnesota, etc etc. The biggest prospect for LG on the market is going to be Carolina’s 25 year old FA Andrew Norwell. If the Bills can land him in free agency then that would be a huge victory for them, especially if they structure a very friendly long term contract.

Speaking of the OL the untimely loss of Eric Wood didn’t do us any favors. If Groy isn’t an adequate replacement I don’t think that the Bills will take a C early in this draft, it’s suppose to be pretty deep for OLinemen and I think a mid round pick just might do the trick.

Before I move on I would like to say that I would be shocked if the Bills don’t trade Corfu Glenn. The Colts would make a good trade partner. Big part of Andrew Luck’s injury is greatly contributed to their shoddy OL play. I’m quite confident that Cordy would be of great value to them. Unfortunately the right side of our OL is still lacking greatly and I don’t have any idea how the Bills will address this. 

Let me get this straight ... you have doubts about how adequate Groy will be as a replacement for woods (I get that) ... and you think the right side of our O-line is lacking greatly (I agree) ... and your suggestion is to trade away Glen and Incognito????

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I would love to see Bradford as our Bridge QB i think he fits like a glove. Maybe just maybe he can stay healthy in this scheme considering there's a ton of quick pass plays on pick & rub routes . We keep our tackles Cordy moves to the right that would give Bradford the protection he needs.  

When, recently, has Bradford stayed healthy?  Bradford is a waste of money and time.  He will miss games.   Didn't the current regime talk

about availability?  Gaines looks like he might be out the door soon.  Glenn too.  Why?  But you think they would sign a QB that  misses large

swaths of seasons?   Because he's talented?  So is Gaines and Glenn.  So was Sammy. 

If you have to say maybe, then I would rather the maybe be about a Rookie playing well from day one.  If Bradford is the QB that

rookie would need to be in place because he will be playing sooner than later.

Tyrod can't be a good fit for Daboll system.  Daboll runs the Perkins Erhardt system and if his variations of the system is anywhere near how the Pats run it  Tyrod will not fit. I would love to see Bradford as our Bridge QB i think he fits like a glove. Maybe just maybe he can stay healthy in this scheme considering there's a ton of quick pass plays on pick & rub routes . We keep our tackles Cordy moves to the right that would give Bradford the protection he needs.  

Here is the big problem people like you completely disregard about Bradford.  Its not like he wouldnt be a good Bridge QB...but there are a number of things people grossly overlook about the reality of it.

1. Bradford is NOT going to come to Buffalo on a 1 year deal to be a seat warmer to a rookie.  He wont even be sure he will play a single game if the rookie came on strong and won the job.  And if he does play, he doesn't know how many games he will get, and then he has to really shine in every opportunity as he wont know how many he will get as any bad game can end his stretch as as starter.  So he has to now perform consistently well in a very bad weather outdoor stadium behind a shaky OL and questionable WR group on a run first team with a first time OC who has a terrible track record in the NFL at OC.  
    1. NO ONE is talking about how unappealing that will be to a caliber of QB like Bradford who will have many options to choose from.  There is literally ZERO reason to take the Bills job as a bridge.  
  2. And if Bradford is a bridge to a rookie, the Bills are going to have to pay him more than Tyrod and give him a multi year deal.  Thats a terrible move for the Bills.  That rookie will take over at some point in 2018, or at beginning of 2019 season.  That means you now have an expensive backup chewing up cap space on your bench because in order to get Bradford we had to give him good money and 2 to 3 year deal.

Not only is Bradford as a bridge very unrealistic, but its also a terrible idea for the Bills to even do in the first place.  If we draft a high QB...thats our future.  Does NOT matter in any way shape or form who is the "bridge", their day is numbered.  

Tyrod on the other hand:  

1. Loved by his teammates and hardest working guy on this team.
  2. Winning record with 2 HC's and 3 OC's in 3 years and hardly no talent to throw to due to injuries, FA, and trades.
  3. Led us to the playoffs already.
  4. Knows the team and players.
  5. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY...is cheap and ONLY has 1 year left on his deal.  Meaning, next year we do NOT have a pricey backup chewing up cap space.  When Tyrod isnt resigned, we either roll with Peterman (assuming he can earn the backup job) who is cheap, or we go sign a cheap backup QB to backup the rookie.  

So why on Earth should the Bills chew up future cap space to keep the seat warm for a kid who might even win the job outright in preseason and camp?  I mean even if we keep Tyrod, he may not even step on the field in 2018 if the kid comes out strong like Wilson, Dak, etc did.  It would be a major mistake to give someone like Bradford the kind of deal to come here to use him as a short bridge.  Not to mention he is injury prone and our OL is not good at keeping QB's upright. 

Tyrod is the right bridge, and none of the better FA QB's are going to come to crappy weather Buffalo for one year where they dont know how many games, if any, they can play.  They will have better situations to both compete to start or as bridge guys where at least the weather and/or weapons are better.  

Now if we can TRADE Tyrod, then great, get something for him and sign a cheaper backup guy...Kap, McCown, etc might all consider it as they wont have the same options someone like Bradford, Keenum, or even Teddy will have.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

...always did like Sam, but health is a major issue....doubt the Vikes he'd end up with a gimpy knee last year.....so you sign him to reasonable money and he pulls up lame again in let's say week 4 or 5?.....the bridge collapsed and back to square one....some interesting monetary stats about Sam.....nice work if you can get it...............

Total Earnings for Bradford through 2017 (through 8 seasons): $114 million

Bradford Career TD Passes: 101 or $1.128 million each

Bradford Career Passing Yards: 19,049 of $5,984 per yard

Bradford Career Rushing/Scrambling Yards: 333 or $342,342 per yard

2 hours ago, macaroni said:

Let me get this straight ... you have doubts about how adequate Groy will be as a replacement for woods (I get that) ... and you think the right side of our O-line is lacking greatly (I agree) ... and your suggestion is to trade away Glen and Incognito????

I thought this same thing after reading.  How could anyone be for replacing all 5 offensive lineman?

Do you think Belichick cares about character?

If McBeane places character over talent they will be as bad as Levy/Jauron. 

Talent wins. They traded away talent for the future.  I’m ok with that as long as they draft well and sign good group of FA.  I would not have traded Dareus but the money will help in FA moving forward.  McD did a great job retooling the secondary. Now he needs to fix the linebackers in FA if they are going to trade up for a QB.

12 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Thinking about the upcoming season and what the Buffalo Bills might do. 

Thinking about Tyrod and where his value would be the highest. It would be with Buffalo, barring injury to any other team’s QB. I don’t see any team wanting him as their starter as of now unless they were forced. Seattle would remotely be in need if Russell Wilson chooses baseball over football. Currently there is nothing that makes me believe in that though. Wilson has no interest in a baseball career. He has stated that multiple times. He works out with the Rangers (and now Yankees) basically for fun. The teams even know he has no interest. 

I could see Bean finishing off most of the players on the roster that were of the previous regime, pushing for a youth movement and also getting contracts in line. Moving up in the draft and overlaying in FA and/or veterans in a trade isn’t the best way to use our resources or managing the salary cap. I believe that staying put with our draft picks gives us the best franchise friendly contracts. You can sign veterans and not overpay. Find who fits your team. As far as moving up/standing pat in the draft, I'd rather have a shot to go home with a 10 than 5 2's. 

One of The moves is to trade off Incognito. Not only is he firmly in the back 9 of his career and is paid over 6M this year but I think that whole thing that went down with Jacksonville’s DL Yannick Ngakoue didn’t leave the best taste in the new regime’s mouth. Purely speculation but Incognito isn’t the best image maker. There’s several teams that need G help, teams like Denver, Minnesota, etc etc. The biggest prospect for LG on the market is going to be Carolina’s 25 year old FA Andrew Norwell. If the Bills can land him in free agency then that would be a huge victory for them, especially if they structure a very friendly long term contract. Cogs has done nothing since coming to Buffalo except rebuild his image. The Jacksonville "issue" isn't an issue. It's over with no punishment. He still plays at a high level and  you aren't going to find a replacement at that price that can play that standard. He's a steal at 6 million. And why in the world would Norwell agree to a friendly deal? He's about to make bank and could easily be one of the top 3 or 5 guards in terms of pay.

Speaking of the OL the untimely loss of Eric Wood didn’t do us any favors. If Groy isn’t an adequate replacement I don’t think that the Bills will take a C early in this draft, it’s suppose to be pretty deep for OLinemen and I think a mid round pick just might do the trick. Oh, I think Groy will do fine. Wouldn't shock me to see Billy Price on our radar because he can play both G and C. McDermott has stated he loves versatility. Seems like a no brainer.

Before I move on I would like to say that I would be shocked if the Bills don’t trade Corfu Glenn. The Colts would make a good trade partner. Big part of Andrew Luck’s injury is greatly contributed to their shoddy OL play. I’m quite confident that Cordy would be of great value to them. Unfortunately the right side of our OL is still lacking greatly and I don’t have any idea how the Bills will address this. If he's healthy he needs to be in Buffalo. We need an upgrade at RT. Could be him. Could be Dawkins. If healthy it's dumb to trade him. If he's not healthy why would the Colts (or and team) want him? 

I hope that Buffalo doesn’t use all their prime resources to move up in this draft, especially that none of the prospects are a guarantee at this time to be a great starter right out of the gate. Lamar Jackson looks to be available when we pick and using Tyrod as a bridge QB would make a lot of sense. I like Lamar more and more. I do not like Rosen. That said I understand why Rosen is the better prospect and would give up more to get him. Gladly. Again, I would rather take a chance on a 10 then have 5 2's.

One thing that I would like to have some input on is Bean strikes me as a no nonsense type of guys and he already has proven that he is not the sentimental type and is not loyal to anybody. I’m not faulting him, he might be exactly what we need but all of this is still too early to tell how successful his tenure is going to turn out. I bring this up because he comes off as a hard ass all the while McDermott speaks of love and chemistry. That strikes me as a hard sell while the guy upstairs is more than willing to blaze a swath through the roster. Any thoughts on this? I get what you're saying here, but really they say the same exact things. If I posted 10 quotes from each, I seriously doubt anyone could figure who said which.

I don’t know what kind of compensation that the Bills can command in trade of the above named players, that’s well above my head, but I’m sure Bean will bring fair market value back to to the Bills so they can parlay that into improving the roster.

If the Bills do stand pat in the 1st rd and then grabs a QB then I sure hope that their next pick is spent on a DT. What was a big strength a couple/few years ago is now a big time soft spot. I fully agree, the memory of the Saints game still haunts me. I want Vea. If not Vea I want Payne. 

Apparently it recently came to light that the Bills were 1 of a few teams that were interested in trading for Pittsburgh WR Martavis Bryant. Man, I for one is glad that that didn’t go down! The guy is on a pitch count with suspensions and doesn’t strike me as a great team player. I’m out on this one. 

In conclusion I just want to say that the upcoming draft and season looks to be something much different than what we have been used to for the last couple of decades, very unpredictable. I for one is very excited and once again optimistic. 

Go Bills! Indeed, Sir! Lets go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is the big problem people like you completely disregard about Bradford.  Its not like he wouldnt be a good Bridge QB...but there are a number of things people grossly overlook about the reality of it.

1. Bradford is NOT going to come to Buffalo on a 1 year deal to be a seat warmer to a rookie.  He wont even be sure he will play a single game if the rookie came on strong and won the job.  And if he does play, he doesn't know how many games he will get, and then he has to really shine in every opportunity as he wont know how many he will get as any bad game can end his stretch as as starter.  So he has to now perform consistently well in a very bad weather outdoor stadium behind a shaky OL and questionable WR group on a run first team with a first time OC who has a terrible track record in the NFL at OC.  
    1. NO ONE is talking about how unappealing that will be to a caliber of QB like Bradford who will have many options to choose from.  There is literally ZERO reason to take the Bills job as a bridge.  
  2. And if Bradford is a bridge to a rookie, the Bills are going to have to pay him more than Tyrod and give him a multi year deal.  Thats a terrible move for the Bills.  That rookie will take over at some point in 2018, or at beginning of 2019 season.  That means you now have an expensive backup chewing up cap space on your bench because in order to get Bradford we had to give him good money and 2 to 3 year deal.

Not only is Bradford as a bridge very unrealistic, but its also a terrible idea for the Bills to even do in the first place.  If we draft a high QB...thats our future.  Does NOT matter in any way shape or form who is the "bridge", their day is numbered.  

Tyrod on the other hand:  

1. Loved by his teammates and hardest working guy on this team.
  2. Winning record with 2 HC's and 3 OC's in 3 years and hardly no talent to throw to due to injuries, FA, and trades.
  3. Led us to the playoffs already.
  4. Knows the team and players.
  5. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY...is cheap and ONLY has 1 year left on his deal.  Meaning, next year we do NOT have a pricey backup chewing up cap space.  When Tyrod isnt resigned, we either roll with Peterman (assuming he can earn the backup job) who is cheap, or we go sign a cheap backup QB to backup the rookie.  

So why on Earth should the Bills chew up future cap space to keep the seat warm for a kid who might even win the job outright in preseason and camp?  I mean even if we keep Tyrod, he may not even step on the field in 2018 if the kid comes out strong like Wilson, Dak, etc did.  It would be a major mistake to give someone like Bradford the kind of deal to come here to use him as a short bridge.  Not to mention he is injury prone and our OL is not good at keeping QB's upright. 

Tyrod is the right bridge, and none of the better FA QB's are going to come to crappy weather Buffalo for one year where they dont know how many games, if any, they can play.  They will have better situations to both compete to start or as bridge guys where at least the weather and/or weapons are better.  

Now if we can TRADE Tyrod, then great, get something for him and sign a cheaper backup guy...Kap, McCown, etc might all consider it as they wont have the same options someone like Bradford, Keenum, or even Teddy will have.

I think these are good points. Very few of these guys being tossed around as "bridge" QBs actually want (or think they deserve) to be temporary fill-ins until a rookie can replace them. They're going to want to go to a place where they can be the starter for multiple years, if possible. Buffalo is not that place.

Watching TT can definitely be painful at times, and he is not the long-term answer by any means, but if you're looking for a bridge QB, it's going to be hard to beat him for all of the reasons Alphadawg states, especially #5.

• Like (+1) 1

That’s not a hateful idea about switching Cordy to the right side. It all comes down to Glenn staying healthy and if Beane wants to pay that for a RT. I suppose they could though due to  Dawkins being on a much cheaper contract. That would leave RG as the only soft spot on the OL, regardless if they replace Incognito with Norwell.

1pr 2 other thoughts I forgot to share and that is good for Blake Bortles on getting an extension. The guy stepped up and took an awful lot of abuse earlier in the season. The guy carries himself with a ton of class.

the other point is I wonder just how desperate Denver really is for a QB and how Chad Kelly is doing. Either Kelly is a hidden jewel and Denver isn’t really in such a dire straits for a QB or Kelly isn’t the answer, which makes it more palatable that the Bills didn’t draft him.