Jaguars Have Signed Bortles to a Contract Extension

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

He has had some solid games I'll give you that. But the body of his work,  I don't know I just don't see it. I guess one test you could use this if they announce the trading TT and bringing Bortles here how would you feel? I wouldn't feel so good. I wonder what they think is going to change next year over this year to get to that next step?

A tougher schedule 

Just now, Green Lightning said:

He has had some solid games I'll give you that. But the body of his work,  I don't know I just don't see it. I guess one test you could use this if they announce the trading TT and bringing Bortles here how would you feel? I wouldn't feel so good. I wonder what they think is going to change next year over this year to get to that next step?

I hear ya and don't get me wrong, I'm not starting the Cult of Bortles (or is it Cult of Blake?), I'm not convinced on Bortles either.

No way would I want the Bills to bring him in and I'm not sure what team would want to start over with him. 

But the under current for me is whether you would want to break the bank on a guy like Cousins and impact your ability to retain more of the core talent or stick with BB.

Bottom line for me is that unless you have that no-doubt QB the direction you take is a crap-shoot. Bortles showed enough to me in the post-season not to kill the Jags decision.

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

I hear ya and don't get me wrong, I'm not starting the Cult of Bortles (or is it Cult of Blake?), I'm not convinced on Bortles either.

No way would I want the Bills to bring him in and I'm not sure what team would want to start over with him. 

But the under current for me is whether you would want to break the bank on a guy like Cousins and impact your ability to retain more of the core talent or stick with BB.

Bottom line for me is that unless you have that no-doubt QB the direction you take is a crap-shoot. Bortles showed enough to me in the post-season not to kill the Jags decision.

Can't help but think what could have been. A run instead of a pass and maybe we would have moved on and they would have gone home. And maybe we'd be having the same conversation about TT!

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Can't help but think what could have been. A run instead of a pass and maybe we would have moved on and they would have gone home. And maybe we'd be having the same conversation about TT!

No doubt. And as Doc Brown mentioned above Bortles would be on the street with a bunch of better QBs ahead of him.

Edited by SinceThe70s

Overall, that's good news, though not earthshaking.  It pulls Jacksonville out of the free agent market.  Albright says they will probably still draft a QB.  That may be true, but  doubt it will be in the first round.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It sounds like it was just a plan to ease the burden next year. It’s a 2 year bridge deal. It’s just odd to me that a team with an open Super Bowl window would go with a bridge guy when the QB is the only thing holding them back. 

Other than Cousins, what realistic options do they have?  A rookie is going to take a year or two to come up to speed ... if he's any good at all, and by then the window's already closing.  No other FA is as good as Bortles was last season.  IMO, it's taking the devil they know rather than gambling on the one they don't...  they liked the improvement that Bortles made last season enough to want to see more of him, but they aren't quite convinced he's the real deal, so they worked out a deal that gives both of them a reasonable deal for 3 more years.  They're weren't willing to cut Bortles loose but they also weren't willing to give a fat contract without having more confidence that Bortles' turn around is for real.

Caldwell is the GM who drafted Bortles and he is still the GM. To me this deal says, Bortles proved he can win and I also need to try and find a young QB to develop. Look for the Jax to spend high picks on D and WR and then in a later round 3-5 look for a second tier  QB. 

If Jax takes a step back this season and they don’t like or have young QB on the roster , they will draft one high in 2019 and use Bortles for one season as insurance. 

Word is that Bortles is a great guy and very positive in the face of a lot criticism. I bet he would deal with a mentoring role of being a pro to a rookie just fine.

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Caldwell is the GM who drafted Bortles and he is still the GM. To me this deal says, Bortles proved he can win and I also need to try and find a young QB to develop. Look for the Jax to spend high picks on D and WR and then in a later round 3-5 look for a second tier  QB. 

If Jax takes a step back this season and they don’t like or have young QB on the roster , they will draft one high in 2019 and use Bortles for one season as insurance. 

Word is that Bortles is a great guy and very positive in the face of a lot criticism. I bet he would deal with a mentoring role of being a pro to a rookie just fine.

Keep in mind that Bortles is still young at just under 26 years old. 

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

giphy.gif

He looked like it was his first time throwing a football vs the Bills

and he was still better than than our guy. 

11 hours ago, wppete said:

Good news takes another team off the QB market. 

yup good for the Bills and bad for TT