Jaguars Have Signed Bortles to a Contract Extension

26CornerBlitz

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Problem isn’t the contract, it’s that he has to take the field again as the QB. Marrone does. not. trust. him.  That is why they will only advance as far as their D and running game will take them. 

Which, as we saw against the Pats, is only so far. Eventually, no matter how well your defense is playing, to win big in the playoffs you need your QB to make some plays.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Which, as we saw against the Pats, is only so far. Eventually, no matter how well your defense is playing, to win big in the playoffs you need your QB to make some plays.

Maybe he can make plays downfield with his Arm in crunch time but we will never know because Marrone is too scared to find out. Marrone and Bortles aren’t a good match. Bortles would be better off with a guy like Doug Pederson. Bortles is one of the worst college QBs I’ve ever watched live. Yet, if he’s your guy, let him prove he can either be the guy or not instead of trying to hide him. That never works.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe he can make plays downfield with his Arm in crunch time but we will never know because Marrone is too scared to find out. 

Marrone is gonna Marrone which on a team as good as Jacksonville will be enough to win, maybe a lot, but not a championship. And while Coughlin figures that out they’re going to waste a very talented defense...you aren’t going to get (probably) a better season than 2017 out of Bortles. Their defense can only play so much better and will probably regress IMO. The answer for that team RIGHT NOW is improved QB play.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They could have actually advanced to the Super Bowl had Marrone/Hacket been more aggressive. 

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Problem isn’t the contract, it’s that he has to take the field again as the QB. Marrone does. not. trust. him.  That is why they will only advance as far as their D and running game will take them. 

They can win (maybe) but they would be MORE likely to win with many other guys. They play great defense and have a good running game. Outside of the Pittsburgh game, they typically don’t need to light up the scoreboard to win. Bortles makes mistakes that keep opposing teams in games. They had no choice though with the injury guarantee.  

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Marrone is gonna Marrone which on a team as good as Jacksonville will be enough to win, maybe a lot, but not a championship. And while Coughlin figures that out they’re going to waste a very talented defense...you aren’t going to get (probably) a better season than 2017 out of Bortles. Their defense can only play so much better and will probably regress IMO. The answer for that team RIGHT NOW is improved QB play.

Well said

Edited by Kirby Jackson

50 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

They might need to go the way of having a great team around a qb on their rookie deal going forward. Instead of paying the qb spreading money around the roster 

On my way home from work yesterday I was listening to Bart Scott on local radio talking about how when a QB hits the jackpot it affects the teams ability to spread the money around. He was talking specifically about Eli and the Giants and making the point that after Eli got paid the offensive line disintegrated. Got me to thinking that the Packers and Saints may have suffered from that a bit as well.

His point wasn't that you don't pay your elite QB, but that you expect your elite QB to be able to overcome deficiencies in the team created by the huge contract. 

WRT to Bortles, I thought after his putrid passing in the Bills game he was a dead man walking. Kind of strange that his worst playoff game was at home against the Bills as opposed to how he played on the road against the Steelers and Pats.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Avg deals of average QBs are now in the 18M range  (TT).....A QB with 3 straight seasons of 4000 yards doesn't deserve a 25M deal ??  

In today's NFL, apparently he does.  My biggest concern with Cousins is his penchant to turn the ball over at key times, which is why I question the amount he'll get.  I don't think you can group Cousins with the Brady's, Brees', and Rodger's of the NFL.  Above average, yes; clutch, Cousins is not until he proves otherwise.  I don't think I'd want to pay him elite money to prove it.

41 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

On my way home from work yesterday I was listening to Bart Scott on local radio talking about how when a QB hits the jackpot it affects the teams ability to spread the money around. He was talking specifically about Eli and the Giants and making the point that after Eli got paid the offensive line disintegrated. Got me to thinking that the Packers and Saints may have suffered from that a bit as well.

His point wasn't that you don't pay your elite QB, but that you expect your elite QB to be able to overcome deficiencies in the team created by the huge contract. 

WRT to Bortles, I thought after his putrid passing in the Bills game he was a dead man walking. Kind of strange that his worst playoff game was at home against the Bills as opposed to how he played on the road against the Steelers and Pats.  

The Bills defense was pretty good.  And they still don't have all the horses McD might need.  Imagine when he does.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

The downside to a successful season, feeling like you owe your QB a huge contract (even when your success was in spite of said QB).

If you look at the particulars of the contract it isn't huge by today's QB pay scale. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Jaguars Have Signed Bortles to a Contract Extension
2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think one of his passes just landed in my backyard 

Now that's funny. Wow, I get that it's a modest contract for starting quarterback but what a message to send to your fans. The guy is below mediocre.

16 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

He's not that bad folks

He's not that good either.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Now that's funny. Wow, I get that it's a modest contract for starting quarterback but what a message to send to your fans. The guy is below mediocre.

Like him or not he was one step away from the SB. And yeah I get that the defense was the dominant force. But he lit up the Steelers on the road and had a pretty good game against the Pats. He was well above mediocre in his two biggest games ever (albeit well below mediocre passing against the Bills).

Signing him to a contract that allows the Jags to retain the core talent around him probably makes more sense than breaking the bank for Cousins or starting over. I'll be interested to see their backup plan.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

The team has to draft even better if they do get that qb and manage assets better.  Green Bay decided to let go of Hyde and sign Bennett. Had they done the opposite I think that defense is slightly better and in the playoffs. The margin of victory in the nfl is usually so low it’s such a little move that can be the difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Like him or not he was one step away from the SB. And yeah I get that the defense was the dominant force. But he lit up the Steelers on the road and had a pretty good game against the Pats. He was well above mediocre in his two biggest games ever (albeit well below mediocre passing against the Bills).

Signing him to a contract that allows the Jags to retain the core talent around him probably makes more sense than breaking the bank for Cousins or starting over. I'll be interested to see their backup plan.

He has had some solid games I'll give you that. But the body of his work,  I don't know I just don't see it. I guess one test you could use this if they announce the trading TT and bringing Bortles here how would you feel? I wouldn't feel so good. I wonder what they think is going to change next year over this year to get to that next step?