Jaguars Have Signed Bortles to a Contract Extension

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

That is quite possible.  Cousins is an upgrade over Bortles, but still not worth $25-30M/year in my opinion.

I can’t speak for the Bills’ FO, but I’d be willing to trade a bad cap situation/having to cut some talent down the road for a Super Bowl. Jags are ready NOW, windows in the NFL don’t stay open long.

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Seahawks had Wilson on the cheap as a 3rd round pick that allowed them to keep key players around. 

Their FA additions were also a little more modest than Campbell / Jackson / Bouye.

Really curious if Allen Robinson is going to be hitting the market, last I saw from him he said the team had not initiated any talks.  Robinson - Martavius Bryant - Zay Jones - Benjamin would be a nice little receiver group to support a rookie QB.....

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

That is quite possible.  Cousins is an upgrade over Bortles, but still not worth $25-30M/year in my opinion.

Avg deals of average QBs are now in the 18M range  (TT).....A QB with 3 straight seasons of 4000 yards doesn't deserve a 25M deal ??  

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Seahawks had Wilson on the cheap as a 3rd round pick that allowed them to keep key players around. 

Not sure you can count on being that lucky through the draft, though. And Jags D is good, but Seahawks defensively during that stretch were one of the best in history. This is a mistake for Jacksonville imo.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Their FA additions were also a little more modest than Campbell / Jackson / Bouye.

Really curious if Allen Robinson is going to be hitting the market, last I saw from him he said the team had not initiated any talks.  Robinson - Martavius Bryant - Zay Jones - Benjamin would be a nice little receiver group to support a rookie QB.....

All of those guys were key to ther success last season as was Church.  Can't see Beane investing that much in the WR group with Roninson coming at a pretty good price. 

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

All of those guys were key to ther success last season as was Church.  Can't see Beane investing that much in the WR group with Roninson coming at a pretty good price. 

My initial point was once the Seahawks were paying Wilson / Lynch / Wagner / Sherman / Thomas / Chancellor their roster depth started to suffer (especially the oline)  The Jags are likely as good as they are going to get, continued improvement from guys like Fournette / Ramsey could be offset by the decline of those expensive FAs.  And they hitched their wagon to Bortles.

If they were to sign Robinson, it would make Benjamin more of a rental.  I really don't love the idea of paying Benjamin a big contract unless they get a little creative and treat him like a hybrid of a move TE - slot WR - outside WR.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Let’s not fight.  But that would seem ridiculous to draft a QB anywhere in the first 3-4 rounds now,

Bortles is basicly on a Taylor deal.  Bortles has pretty good numbers looking at yards and TDs.  He plays either very good or poor.  He estiblishes some consistency and he still could be very good in a early big ben way.

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It sounds like it was just a plan to ease the burden next year. It’s a 2 year bridge deal. It’s just odd to me that a team with an open Super Bowl window would go with a bridge guy when the QB is the only thing holding them back. 

continuity is real and tactile concept

30 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think if the Jaguars have Cousins last year they probably win the Super Bowl.

hahahahaha

i swear no one on this !@#$ing board has even seen Kirk Cousins play. 

he is the definition of a QB that chokes in big games. Look at his history of MNF games & must win games. Dude lost at home to the Giants in a win and get in game. 

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

My initial point was once the Seahawks were paying Wilson / Lynch / Wagner / Sherman / Thomas / Chancellor their roster depth started to suffer (especially the oline)  The Jags are likely as good as they are going to get, continued improvement from guys like Fournette / Ramsey could be offset by the decline of those expensive FAs.  And they hitched their wagon to Bortles.

If they were to sign Robinson, it would make Benjamin more of a rental.  I really don't love the idea of paying Benjamin a big contract unless they get a little creative and treat him like a hybrid of a move TE - slot WR - outside WR.

Definitely surprised to see Coughlin go this route.  Will be interesting to see what they do with Benjamin, but let's worry about who the QB is 1st. 

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

continuity is real and tactile concept

Bortles’ mistakes are the only thing that prevent them from being a favorite. They could win a title with a bunch of other guys. They don’t need great play; they need a guy that doesn’t hurt them. Committing to Bortles is a mistake IMO. They didn’t have much choice though with the injury guarantee.

6 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

hahahahaha

i swear no one on this !@#$ing board has even seen Kirk Cousins play. 

he is the definition of a QB that chokes in big games. Look at his history of MNF games & must win games. Dude lost at home to the Giants in a win and get in game. 

Meh. He led the third ranked offense that year. Always tough playing a divisional game where one team has nothing to lose. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Bortles’ mistakes are the only thing that prevent them from being a favorite. They could win a title with a bunch of other guys. They don’t need great play; they need a guy that doesn’t hurt them. Committing to Bortles is a mistake IMO. They didn’t have much choice though with the injury guarantee.

They could have actually advanced to the Super Bowl had Marrone/Hacket been more aggressive. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Problem isn’t the contract, it’s that he has to take the field again as the QB. Marrone does. not. trust. him.  That is why they will only advance as far as their D and running game will take them.