Anybody find the lack of Defense in the NFL boring?

Mikie2times

I agree but it's not impossible to still build a killer defense in today's era as the Seahawks in 2013 and the Broncos in 2015 were up there with the best defenses I have ever seen in my lifetime.  Really anxious to see what the final vision of McBeane's defense looks like after they have gotten enough drafts under their belt.  

I'm a fan of a good defensive game but it's something you will never see again. It's the main reason I would invest 70% of my cap into offense, the rules are never getting changed back. 

With the holding  that the O-Lines in the playoffs were getting away with I would honestly just have four 300lb athletic DT's on our 4-3 front. This game has become all offense, if you don't have a QB that can pass from the pocket you have no chance.

16 minutes ago, klos63 said:

The Super Bowl was anything  but boring.

I thought it needed more defense. Unless I'm mistaken there was one punt and one sack.

I'm looking for balance. Watching two teams march up and down the field at will doesn't do it for me. 

And I don't agree with those that bring up Jags/Bills or the Browns/Bills games as defensive battles. More like incompetence to me.

I thought the 17-14 Giants/Pats SB was riveting. But I'm also fine with shoot-outs. Just stop tilting the rules towards offense. If I wanted that I'd see if Arena football was still around.

9 hours ago, KzooMike said:

It's so natural to long for times gone by, but I just appreciated the NFL so much more before it was intentionally converted to a QB league. I like defense. I like seeing defenses that are so formidable they can combat even the best QB's. Consider in 1990 only 3 teams had a completion % above 60%, this season 24 teams did. Anybody else feel similar? 

I don't mind the QB league part.  What I mind is the inconsistencies in the officiating - the differences in whether something is called a TD or incomplete on replay, whether or not holding is called on the OL etc.  It's making the NFL almost unwatchable to me.

6 hours ago, jr1 said:

you can't even breathe on a receiver without getting flagged

Except for when you can mug him and get winked at.  That's the real problem IMHO, inconsistent officiating.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I disagree.  I think the offensive mindset NFL product is much more exciting than in years past.

The rules do favor the QB and it’s getting nearly impossible to defend a receiver without PI

You're right, the op should have used other word. The game indeed is exciting   which is not necessarily good, most games are enjoyable but at the end there is something missing, last SB is perfect example:  poor tackling leads to exciting game

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Inept QB play does not equate to a defensive battle. 

I think that blaming it all on inept QBing is selling both defenses short. How many points did the Jags hang on Pittsburgh the very next week?

12 hours ago, KzooMike said:

It's so natural to long for times gone by, but I just appreciated the NFL so much more before it was intentionally converted to a QB league. I like defense. I like seeing defenses that are so formidable they can combat even the best QB's. Consider in 1990 only 3 teams had a completion % above 60%, this season 24 teams did. Anybody else feel similar? 

Yes, miss the old smash mouth days.

16 hours ago, KzooMike said:

The rules have changed too much. So many illegal contact "prior to the pass" being called on 3rd and long prevents defenses from playing well.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't mind the QB league part.  What I mind is the inconsistencies in the officiating - the differences in whether something is called a TD or incomplete on replay, whether or not holding is called on the OL etc.  It's making the NFL almost unwatchable to me.

Except for when you can mug him and get winked at.  That's the real problem IMHO, inconsistent officiating.

You mean the whole "NFL rules vs "patriot's rules"?

Like how Chris collinsWORST complains about the eagles guy barely pushing off, or whining about an offensive holding call that was against the eagles, then commends gronk for "selling a hold" because "he's the best in the league at that" and then cheers him on when he levels his defender with a push off??

I hate watching Pats games so much anymore.

Inconsistent officiating is a huge problem, and it's magnified against the Pats.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

The NFL and all sports are much more fun when teams can build in different ways and still win.  The game was amazing when a team could build an identity and keep that identity for a generation or more you could draft and win in more ways than just having an high octane passing offense.

The NFL would have been much more watchable without the Patriots decade plus dominance. It’s just gotten to be dull and annoying on so many levels. And but for two last second winning field goals, a goal line interception, and one of the greatest choke jobs by the Falcons, Tommy and the gang would go down as the ultimate sports bridesmaids. 

When your team is losing, you don't like the way the game is being played.

When your team  is winning, you like the way the game is being played.

Funny how that works.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The NFL would have been much more watchable without the Patriots decade plus dominance. It’s just gotten to be dull and annoying on so many levels. And but for two last second winning field goals, a goal line interception, and one of the greatest choke jobs by the Falcons, Tommy and the gang would go down as the ultimate sports bridesmaids. 

If the Titanic didn't hit the iceberg, things would have turned out differently.

8 hours ago, Logic said:

I think that blaming it all on inept QBing is selling both defenses short. How many points did the Jags hang on Pittsburgh the very next week?

Pittsburgh’s D without Shazier is trash. Nothing to

be impressed by imo. 

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

A high school D woulda shut down those two fake QBs 

And this is how I feel almost every time I watch a “defensive struggle” in today’s NFL. 

League play runs in cycles, its a copy cat league. Eventually the running game will come back, the reason will be Tampa II linebackers that can cover yet smaller in mass.

A big 250 RB may be the next cycle

Poor officiating and the catch rule are the big red flags for me too. When I played, there was nothing more satisfying than laying the wood to a WR as he crossed the field. I get that players are bigger, stronger, faster, but damn, let them play the game.  The early 90's was still the best time ever for a Bills fan. Maybe if we rekindle that old fire, the rest of the stuff won't matter.

1 hour ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Pittsburgh’s D without Shazier is trash. Nothing to

be impressed by imo. 

And this is how I feel almost every time I watch a “defensive struggle” in today’s NFL. 

Non-fans thought the track meet Super Bowl was a great game, I’m happy that the D for either of the teams showed up after 58 minutes of patty-cake 

• Like (+1) 1