Anybody find the lack of Defense in the NFL boring?

Mikie2times

It's so natural to long for times gone by, but I just appreciated the NFL so much more before it was intentionally converted to a QB league. I like defense. I like seeing defenses that are so formidable they can combat even the best QB's. Consider in 1990 only 3 teams had a completion % above 60%, this season 24 teams did. Anybody else feel similar? 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 3

I agree with you.  Defenses, especially DBs have been hamstrung by the rules that, IMO, overprotect WRs and promote higher scoring games.  The NFL seems to disagree with this, though; it appears they feel that higher scoring games are more interesting and attract more fans.

• Like (+1) 2

I think the great defenses also led to the more exciting story lines. In no way is this supposed go the path of a hate New England thread, but let me see Brady in the early 90's with his WR's having massive timing interuptions....

I liked the great ground attacks. Great defenses. All things great outside of just the QB position. It's what made the game diverse.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 3

Completely. You can't play defense anymore and the whole event of QB's looking for easy PI's is also terrible.

It's drained me away from the game.  I watched 3 minutes of Pittsburgh Jax. That's the last NFL I watched for the year. I just didn't care to watch these overpaid babies play a soft pussified game to have the refs and commerical interests distract from the integrity of the game.

No one realizes it but defensive games draw viewers. 

• Like (+1) 2

Penalty for hitting high.

Penalty for hitting low. 

Penalty for hitting too soon after a catch. 

Penalty for hitting too late as a guy is going out of bounds. 

Penalty for not being able to stop your momentum in mid air as the QB decides to slide. 

I don’t like seeing guys get hurt, but many of these calls are not preventing injuries. They’re just giving the offense a break and interrupting the flow of the game. 

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Penalty for hitting high.

Penalty for hitting low. 

Penalty for hitting too soon after a catch. 

Penalty for hitting too late as a guy is going out of bounds. 

Penalty for not being able to stop your momentum in mid air as the QB decides to slide. 

I don’t like seeing guys get hurt, but many of these calls are not preventing injuries. They’re just giving the offense a break and interrupting the flow of the game. 

This is right here. That phantom unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Gaines against Kansas City was just downright embarrassing for the league. 

The PI is far too powerful of a penalty; it just does not fit in and ruins games.  The whole wtf is a catch is really dumb.  Amazing talent is being deemed a non catch for seemingly random reasons.  

The NFL is ruining its product.  It can fix these two issues without worrying about QB injuries and brain damage law suits too.

Edited by sleeby
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, who doesn't love 3 and outs and the punt game!!

Anyway, scoring has been pretty stable through the decades, despite the perception that it hasn't.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/scoring.htm

Receiving TDs per team per game last year were the same as (oh, I'll just pick one) 1987.

Pretty lazy way of using data to fit an agenda. This decade compared to the 90's Passing TD's are up 29%. 

Edited by KzooMike

All passing metrics are up compared to years past as you would expect them to be. With the rules as they are, great QB's are better on average than great defenses. This leads to lack of balance in the product. You see exceptions, but you don't see many rules. In the early 90's a great QB against a great defense was a 50/50. It's just not that way anymore. 

Edited by KzooMike