Geno = Flat Earth Truther?

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Good lord. 

These conspiracy theory nuts seem to be spreading in recent years. It's actually scary. 

How do you battle this stuff when the people you are fighting against don't believe in FACTS? (and it's not just flat earthers either... there's whole large groups of people that refuse to believe facts or most anything from the mainstream media). 

I mean, there is just soooooooooo much proof that the earth is round, you'd have to be crazy to believe anything else. 

Why in the !@#$ would NASA, the US and every other country around the world want to go to so much trouble to push a "round earth" conspiracy theory to begin with? What could they possibly have to gain from It? 

It isn't just why would NASA lie, or look at pictures. The flat earth thing is particularly strange because the physics on how we literally move about our day is predicated on the very foundation that the earth is round. Next time somebody says they think the earth is flat "because research" ask them to redefine physics"

IDIOTS

But you are spot on. People think this way about all sorts of stuff and it is incredibly dangerous, because it is impossible to fight. All you we can do is make sure we educate their kids better than they were, and wait for them to die. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, kdiggz said:

That's a pretty limited approach in my eyes as well. You don't think it would be in the best interest of any other species to have their brains grow 300% practically overnight to make them the top of the food chain? That's pretty funny. Humans are very much out of place on this planet. We have back problems from walking upright, we are defenseless as babies for many months, we would die if we lived outside in the elements so we need to build houses or live in caves, we wear other animals' fur to stay warm, we need to make tools to hunt. Also, I'm still waiting for the monkeys to evolve since we used to be them. Surely there are half monkey half humans out there somewhere

Sure, if you look at humans in their current form compared to other species on this earth we look out of place. But we weren't always in our current form, and all of the stuff you are mentioning happened over millions of years of human evolution. 

A few things (if you're interested. Evolution is something that interests me, and I tend to be a long winded poster, so I apologize in advance if this ends up being a long, boring post... lol). 

- Human brains didn't grow 300% practically overnight. It grew slowly over 2 million (+) years of evolution. 

Homo Erectus, which is one of our earlier ancestors, and lived around 1.8(+)million years ago, had an internal skull volume of roughly 600-700ml. It slowly grew, reaching 1000-1100ml around 500,000 years ago. Then reached a size of 1500ml about 20,000 years ago. Interestingly, the human brain began to shrink somewhere over the last 10-20,000 years to about 1350ml (IIRC, I believe it was in large part due to poor nutrition during that time) and then slowly began growing again to its current average size of 1400-1450ml (or cubic centimeters if you prefer). 

- It took a long time for the homo genus to climb to where they are on the food chain (and it can be argued we are still not at the top of the food chain, or even an apex predator (of which there are many), but that's another discussion) 

Our rise up the food chain happened slowly over many 100's of thousands of (or million+) years as our brains developed and we were able to start using tools and eventually making tools and then creating better tools + weapons.

Also, We are omnivores and didn't always necessarily use tools to hunt. We can survive as vegetarians. Using tools to hunt is something that human ancestors learned and improved on over time as their brains evolved. The earliest human ancestors lived on a diet likely very similar to chimpanzees (fruits, nuts, bugs, plants, and at times meat + marrow they could scavenge or safely hunt). 

- We were not always so hairless compared to other species, and we didn't always wear clothes (which is relatively new in the scope of our evolution). That is another thing you can attribute to evolution. We became less and less hairy over time. There are numerous theories as to why. One that I can remember off the top of my head had to do with early humans moving away from the forests/jungles and onto the African savana, where in order to regulate their body temperatures and keep their brains from overheating, began losing their body hair. 

-Early ancestors did live out in the elements. Living in caves is something that initially  had more to do with protection. Building better and better shelters is again something that evolved over time. 

- Humans are not not the only species born helpless. There are many.

They are called altricial species - some examples off the top of my head are dogs, cats, rodents, marcupials, and numerous species of birds. 

A shorter gestation period is something that evolved due to our larger brain sizes and upright locomotion. Bipedalism restricts the width of the birth canal and therefore the size of the babies that can pass through it. 

- Humans were never monkeys. That is a common myth. We just shared a common ancestor. 

Australopithecines were the first hominins (human, human relative/ancestor). The homo genus (Homo Habilis (said to be the earliest homo), Homo erectus and eventually us - Homo sapiens) was derived from the genus Australopithecines, which has previously split from the genus Pan (chimpanzee).

There were many different genus of Homo, and it took millions of years before Homo sapiens appeared. So if you're waiting for a species to drastically evolve, you'll be waiting a LONG time! lol 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

Pot meet kettle.  Blaming "the mainstream media" for not "simply reporting facts" is the perpetual whine of those who don't a know the difference between fact and opinion and don't like to hear facts that don't fit their own agendas ... but carry on.

when opinion is reported as fact,  that is a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

:lol:

You're laughably stupid if you don't understand the difference between how media was run 40 years ago vs today.  But....carry on.

Because I do know how the media was run 40 or 50 years ago and much earlier, why I wrote what I wrote.  The media has never presented news that is "pure" going back to the beginning of the republic.  Remember learning (hearing about?) the Alien and Sedition Acts passed in the 1790s?  Well, the Sedition Act was an attempt by the federal government to control anti-government propaganda masquerading as news.  William Randolph Hearst built a newspaper empire in the late 19th and early 20th centuries based on sensationalized -- and not all that rarely -- "manufactured" --  news.  Hearst's "yellow journalism" helped push the US into declaring war on Spain in 1898 and helped sabotaged American participation in the League of Nations after WW I.

Prior to 1970s, especially during the height of the Cold War, the print and broadcast media practiced "self-censorship" in which it did not publish or broadcast news that it deemed "detrimental" to the national interest.  Consequently, the American public was kept ignorant of the fact that JFK had staffers bring prostitutes into the White House or that more and more young Americans were being sent to fight and die in the jungles of SE Asia or that blacks in most of the Deep South lived under a reign of terror.  Those weren't things that the media didn't know about; they were things that the media didn't report.  Sometimes news suppression happened because of government pressure but it often happened because media outlets voluntarily suppressed stories that were deemed "inappropriate", primarily because of their political consequences.

So much for the "pure" media of the past.

I had dealings with a flat earther. They are nuts. He was replying to every FB post I replied to. His replies had nothing to do with my reply but just to go off on his tangents about the flat earth and how god showed it to him. I blocked him yet he still posted things to my friends and family's pages about how wrong I was. These people are cultic in their beliefs in that you are wrong and they are right even though the evidence states otherwise. It is scary. 

11 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I once worked with a woman who simply refused to believe we had landed on the moon (and this was 30 years after it happened).  She just couldn't fathom the possibility of space travel.

I don't believe in submarines. I can't fathom the possibility of underwater travel.

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I don't believe in submarines. I can't fathom the possibility of underwater travel.

I suppose you don’t believe that the inverted lighthouses that guide submarines aren’t real, either.

• Haha (+1) 1

Galileo proved 500 years ago the earth was not flat, and pictures from space continue to do so(oh, they must be fake I  bet they say) and was almost put to death for heresy because people didn't want to believe it.  Now almost 500 years later these idiots with less than 5 brain cells among them want to go back to thinking from the middle ages??  Incomprehensible.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mango said:

It isn't just why would NASA lie, or look at pictures. The flat earth thing is particularly strange because the physics on how we literally move about our day is predicated on the very foundation that the earth is round. Next time somebody says they think the earth is flat "because research" ask them to redefine physics"

IDIOTS

But you are spot on. People think this way about all sorts of stuff and it is incredibly dangerous, because it is impossible to fight. All you we can do is make sure we educate their kids better than they were, and wait for them to die. 

BINGO.  People are free to believe whatever stupid manure they want to believe.  As long as they don't try to pass this crap off as history (moon landing) or science (flat earth) and/or teach it in schools, I have no problem with them proving to the world that they're stupider than your average bovine.

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sure, if you look at humans in their current form compared to other species on this earth we look out of place. But we weren't always in our current form, and all of the stuff you are mentioning happened over millions of years of human evolution. 

A few things (if you're interested. Evolution is something that interests me, and I tend to be a long winded poster, so I apologize in advance if this ends up being a long, boring post... lol). 

- Human brains didn't grow 300% practically overnight. It grew slowly over 2 million (+) years of evolution. 

Homo Erectus, which is one of our earlier ancestors, and lived around 1.8(+)million years ago, had an internal skull volume of roughly 600-700ml. It slowly grew, reaching 1000-1100ml around 500,000 years ago. Then reached a size of 1500ml about 20,000 years ago. Interestingly, the human brain began to shrink somewhere over the last 10-20,000 years to about 1350ml (IIRC, I believe it was in large part due to poor nutrition during that time) and then slowly began growing again to its current average size of 1400-1450ml (or cubic centimeters if you prefer). 

- It took a long time for the homo genus to climb to where they are on the food chain (and it can be argued we are still not at the top of the food chain, or even an apex predator (of which there are many), but that's another discussion) 

Our rise up the food chain happened slowly over many 100's of thousands of (or million+) years as our brains developed and we were able to start using tools and eventually making tools and then creating better tools + weapons.

Also, We are omnivores and didn't always necessarily use tools to hunt. We can survive as vegetarians. Using tools to hunt is something that human ancestors learned and improved on over time as their brains evolved. The earliest human ancestors lived on a diet likely very similar to chimpanzees (fruits, nuts, bugs, plants, and at times meat + marrow they could scavenge or safely hunt). 

- We were not always so hairless compared to other species, and we didn't always wear clothes (which is relatively new in the scope of our evolution). That is another thing you can attribute to evolution. We became less and less hairy over time. There are numerous theories as to why. One that I can remember off the top of my head had to do with early humans moving away from the forests/jungles and onto the African savana, where in order to regulate their body temperatures and keep their brains from overheating, began losing their body hair. 

-Early ancestors did live out in the elements. Living in caves is something that initially  had more to do with protection. Building better and better shelters is again something that evolved over time. 

- Humans are not not the only species born helpless. There are many.

They are called altricial species - some examples off the top of my head are dogs, cats, rodents, marcupials, and numerous species of birds. 

A shorter gestation period is something that evolved due to our larger brain sizes and upright locomotion. Bipedalism restricts the width of the birth canal and therefore the size of the babies that can pass through it. 

- Humans were never monkeys. That is a common myth. We just shared a common ancestor. 

Australopithecines were the first hominins (human, human relative/ancestor). The homo genus (Homo Habilis (said to be the earliest homo), Homo erectus and eventually us - Homo sapiens) was derived from the genus Australopithecines, which has previously split from the genus Pan (chimpanzee).

There were many different genus of Homo, and it took millions of years before Homo sapiens appeared. So if you're waiting for a species to drastically evolve, you'll be waiting a LONG time! lol 

Excellent post.  :thumbsup:   In a previous life, I was a middle school science teacher for a few years, so I like all science (well, astrophysics is pretty hard for me to get my brain around), and paleontology and evolutionary biology are the most fascinating for me. 

• Like (+1) 2

Geno the genious. 

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Well there is one group to blame for that.  Perhaps if the mainstream media went back to simply reporting facts instead of their current business model of for-profit propaganda and agenda pushing, there would be fewer people who refuse to believe anything they report.

But yeah, the general level of ignorance is frightening.  I once worked with a woman who simply refused to believe we had landed on the moon (and this was 30 years after it happened).  She just couldn't fathom the possibility of space travel.

It’s not possible to have a flat earth.  In theory at least it is possible to fake a moon landing. They are not even close. Here is a common one.  While 99% of scientists agree on climate change half the nation believes Exxon instead. Now that’s stupid. 

52 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Galileo proved 500 years ago the earth was not flat, and pictures from space continue to do so(oh, they must be fake I  bet they say) and was almost put to death for heresy because people didn't want to believe it.  Now almost 500 years later these idiots with less than 5 brain cells among them want to go back to thinking from the middle ages??  Incomprehensible.

Actually it was Eratosthenes more than 2000 years ago.

https://www.windows2universe.org/?page=/citizen_science/myw/w2u_eratosthenes_calc_earth_size.html

What bugs me is the science deniers who use the Internet to spread their BS. Without science, the Internet wouldn't exist.

Edited by WhoTom

On 2/24/2018 at 2:29 PM, KelsaysLunchbox said:

The sales from round globes to the public school system. Our whole ecosystem is based on that money. Connect the dots...

Is it that the money can only be made if the Earth is spherical?  BTW, were the Mayans and Incans who had more advanced understanding of the movements of bodies in the universe before ever making contact with the Europeans in on the global conspiracy or just simply too backwards to understand that the Earth was flat?

There are no doubt real conspiracies (as in the truest sense of the word) - its actually what government does the get together and decide things and who benefits from the rules and laws.  However, there is no need for elaborate conspiracies about our place in the universe and physics that would have had to be kept in secrecy for over 600 years - its just not worth the effort and not worth enough money to any one.  BTW, it's really a good demonstration that you believe that you are pretty powerless and that there are forces with immense power that control things.  That's why there is such a rise in these crazy conspiracy theories - the feeling of relative powerlessness in our economic and political systems.

On 2/24/2018 at 2:28 PM, DC Tom said:

It's physics.  Aggregation of material under gravity results in a spherical shape above a certain certain size.  A flat earth requires a completely new and locally wildly different theory of gravity.

Keep your voodoo science to yourself, Poindexter.

-:P

...this has just made me chuckle this morning.  This is so ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Keep your voodoo science to yourself, Poindexter.

-:P

...this has just made me chuckle this morning.  This is so ridiculous.

Geno is not helping himself in the market - but his understanding of physics and the universe could explain his issues with accuracy.  He throws like someone that has the wrong model of physics - maybe he just needs someone to show him how to throw under the proven model of physics and you get a franchise QB.  West Virginia and Duke must be proud institutions to have alumni with such "diverse" perspectives on science.

I actually am saddened to see guys like Kyrie and Geno believe this nonsense - but you can kind of understand where it comes from -> it's a product of many generations of unstable communities, poor education, and feeling of powerlessness against forces stacked against you.