Geno = Flat Earth Truther?

YoloinOhio

48 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's physics.  Aggregation of material under gravity results in a spherical shape above a certain certain size.  A flat earth requires a completely new and locally wildly different theory of gravity.

iirc ~300km diameter is when spherical starts, so yeah, these flat earthers are whack...

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Good lord. ...

(and it's not just flat earthers either... there's whole large groups of people that refuse to believe facts or most anything from the mainstream media). ...

right. because the lamestream media would never tell an untruth.

55 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's physics.  Aggregation of material under gravity results in a spherical shape above a certain certain size.  A flat earth requires a completely new and locally wildly different theory of gravity.

I learned a long time ago that you can't use logic to argue with illogical people. They don't care about science. Or evidence.

• Like (+1) 3

Welp, he just successfully killed any chance of any NFL team signing him...

Geno Smith was once a second-round pick with promise, but he's been hurt by inaccuracy and an inability to grasp the mental part of the game. He still has potential at just 27, which is why I'm giving him two stars, but I don't have much hope for him. 

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018QB.php

40 minutes ago, arcane said:

You should hear what these people, and closely related electric universe "theorists", think about physics and gravity in particular. They don't care what physics says.

^^^

8 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I'm into conspiracy theories but this one is dumb. But if you can wrap your head around everyone being in on covering up the fact that the earth is flat then what are your thoughts on some of the more logical ones? Id really be interested to hear their thoughts. They should round up a bunch of the more famous flat Earth theory guys and do a tv show where they look into other conspiracies and paranormal stuff. I'd watch that!

How is this any stupider than millions of Americans believing that the Earth was created exactly according to the Old Testament and that evolution is a lie?

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

right. because the lamestream media would never tell an untruth.

I never said that. Or even implied that. 

But when you have people dismissing clearly factual, and easily verifiable, pieces of information solely because it was written by "the lame stream media", I'm sorry but it is an issue. 

Facts are facts, period. (and just to make sure I'm clear - I am not saying or implying that every article written by the main stream media is fact). 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Says who?  You know they faked the moon landing, that was actually filmed in Depew.

25 minutes ago, SoTier said:

^^^

How is this any stupider than millions of Americans believing that the Earth was created exactly according to the Old Testament and that evolution is a lie?

because thousands of people across multiple countries would have to be in on this covering it up if the Earth was flat.  think of all of the doctored photos and videos and multiple trips to space.  that would be impossible to pull off.

i'll agree with you on the old testament stuff.  you would have to be pretty naive to take every word as the absolute truth.  that is just a collection of oral histories that by the time people had the chance to write it down it changed over time like that game "telephone."  but the verdict is very much still out on the evolution of human beings.  evolution makes small gradual changes over time.  something happened in our history that completely changed us, and it wasn't evolution.  our brains grew at an exponential rate that has never been explained or duplicated.  evolution can't explain it all.  otherwise, beatles and crocodiles have been around for millions of years so why aren't they evolved?  i very much believe that our evolution is the result of external factors.  some people think that's god, some people think that's other intelligent beings, some people think it's some kind of undiscovered natural occurence.  but the fact of the matter is nobody knows at this point so to say it was simply "evolution" is pretty small minded and you should be more evolved than to think like that :P

Edited by kdiggz
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SoTier said:

^^^

Hey while you’re at it how about mocking Muslim belief too? No?

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Yeah, well.....so what?

Like DCTom said, If the earth were actually flat, gravity would be much different. 

It would pull in different directions depending on your proximity to the edge/center of the earth. The closer you got to the edge, the more sideways the pull of gravity is, and we all know that isn't the case.

There are so many things that have to be explained if the earth were flat. 

Like circumnavigating the globe. How can you follow the same heading (say due east) and circumnavigate the globe? Or How can people take all different paths of circumnavigation, flying over different countries/continents? If the earth were flat, you'd only be able to basically circle around 1 path (the outer edge), and why wouldn't you hit that edge depending on how you flew? How do planes fly over the Antarctic if it's just a big wall of ice at the edge of the earth? 

Or time zones... if the earth were flat wouldn't you see the sun at all times (if it were a spotlight like flat earthers claim)?

How would satellites orbit the earth?

Why don't shadows look the same everywhere?

How do you explain away the Hubble space telescope and all the images it produces?

Or space travel, the international space station, all of the astronauts, pilots and even passengers on those zero gravity flights, or the old Concord from back in the day, who have seen the curve of the earth for themselves. 

Lunar eclipses... why does the earth project a curved/round shadow on the moon during an eclipse? 

Why is every other observable planet round?

Why do you see different stats and constellations depending on your location relative to the equator? If the earth were flat wouldn't you be able to see the same stars from everywhere? Why would certain constellations move toward the horizon and disapppear, and new constellations appear, as you changed locations on the earth? (hint, because its round!). 

I could go on and on and on... 

But The flat earthers try to address some of this stuff though... 

https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

This makes me want to bang my head against a wall repeadly. lol

So many of these explanations try to sound smart but just don't cut it. They're obviously just good enough to fool some though. 

I honestly didnt even believe this whole "flat earth" was really a thing until I looked into it more. These people really do seem serious about believing this stuff. It blows my mind. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

because thousands of people across multiple countries would have to be in on this covering it up if the Earth was flat.  think of all of the doctored photos and videos and multiple trips to space.  that would be impossible to pull off.

i'll agree with you on the old testament stuff.  you would have to be pretty naive to take every word as the absolute truth.  that is just a collection of oral histories that by the time people had the chance to write it down it changed over time like that game "telephone."  but the verdict is very much still out on the evolution of human beings.  evolution makes small gradual changes over time.  something happened in our history that completely changed us, and it wasn't evolution.  our brains grew at an exponential rate that has never been explained or duplicated.  evolution can't explain it all.  otherwise, beatles and crocodiles have been around for millions of years so why aren't they evolved?  i very much believe that our evolution is the result of external factors.  some people think that's god, some people think that's other intelligent beings, some people think it's some kind of undiscovered natural occurence.  but the fact of the matter is nobody knows at this point so to say it was simply "evolution" is pretty small minded and you should be more evolved than to think like that :P

I appreciate your openness and all that, but your approach to evolution is a bit...limited. Why would crocodiles evolve dramatically (except to become smaller over the eons) when what they do works perfectly well for their survival? 

Now, as for Geno Smith and football (which I think we're supposed to be chatting about), no one has ever accused him of being a genius, or being good at processing lots of information rapidly and accurately.

Students in one of my classes this term are reading The Death of Expertise, and we discuss all kinds of flagrantly anti-reason positions. This one has gained some unfortunate popularity among a certain cohort of celebrities recently. 

1 hour ago, holmz56 said:

My girlfriend in high school  claimed she was flat ,and I concurred !She was the valedictorian !!

True story:  Way back in high school chorus,  I remember the director telling the altos they were flat.  One of the altos piped up, Mr. Williams, we may be out of tune, but I can assure you, I'm not flat."

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

Bit of a complex there? 

FWIW I generally appreciate your football takes.

Nah I think all religions are garbage. But some “atheists “ are too cowardly to be actual atheists. Easy to mock a religion whose adherents won’t behead you or blow you up.

Edited by joesixpack
  • Like (+1) 1