All the reasons to draft Josh Allen...

Roundybout

1 hour ago, Tsaikotic said:

I was just thinking the same thing when looking at it..I was like "wow...looks like when I used frontpage 97"..lol

20 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Lol...website looks like it was made in 1998!

Look at the bottom of the left-hand frame

It's "hosted by geocities"

I think we just found a wormhole to the 90s.

If we don't close it fast, the spice girls might flow through.

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, racketmaster said:

Allen had a very weak supporting cast. He played in a pro style offense and did not throw a bunch of wr screens to pad his completion percentage. His WRs were not very good and got little separation from defenders. Allen, seems to have a few poor throws each game but otherwise he is on target.  Allen has all the tools and is still young. 

IMO this is true and also needs to be said. The thing about Allen (other than his jaw-dropping talent) is that he is inconsistent. He is capable of executing properly, at least in terms of his throwing mechanics and knowing where to go with the ball, and when he does that he looks like a player worthy of being mentioned with Barkely as possibly the best of this class. But there is plenty of tape where he doesn't do things the way he should. Anyone who drafts him, especially if he's taken early, has to believe (hope) that he can learn to show more of the "good" Josh and less of the bad. It's a risk to be sure, maybe even a fairly big one, but it's not reckless. EJ was inaccurate as a passer but EJ never came close to flashing the same ability throwing the football that Allen does on a fairly regular basis, albeit not as often that you want to see. Allen can do it. The question is can he do it more often? EJ could never do it. Not all inaccurate QBs are the same. 

Allen is not the prospect Wentz was, not nearly. He's raw and unpolished. So I have a hard time seeing anyone picking him at or near the top of the draft. But if he fell to the Bills where we pick I would not be disappointed if he was taken as a developmental pick. The upside is there. 

I'm for Lamar Jackson so if both players were still on the board I'd take Lamar as another guy with lots of upside but IMO less risk. 

An important question regarding Allen is pocket presence. Not surprisingly he is much better working from a clean pocket. Tape shows a tendency to bail early but it is also true that even for the level of the conference his O line was bad in pass pro. So it's hard to know whether or not Allen has pocket presence, which is to a significant extent instinctive/intuitive. That's something I'm sure scouts are and will be puzzling over before the draft. 

22 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Here are my lazy draft QB comps:

Allen = Wentz

Jackson = Tyrod

Baker = Manziel (if you don’t like Baker)

Baker = Brees (if you like Baker)

Rosen = Jeff George (if you don’t like Rosen)

Rosen = Matt Ryan (if you like Rosen)

Darnold = _____ (insert any former USC QB)

Even being lazy you should never get Jeff George for Rosen. I could see Rob Johnson, maybe Eli, maybe Kerry Collins, maybe Matt Hasselbeck, maybe Boomer Esiason, but never Jeff George.

7 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Even being lazy you should never get Jeff George for Rosen. I could see Rob Johnson, maybe Eli, maybe Kerry Collins, maybe Matt Hasselbeck, maybe Boomer Esiason, but never Jeff George.

I’ve heard it more than a few times. Great arm, doesn’t love the game and has a different attitude. Rosen is my favorite guy in the draft. Those were just the nonsense comparisons that people make

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

You draft Allen for his ceiling, and to show you are able to ignore the floor. 

Sometimes when you ignore the floor you fall through it. :)

I certainly wouldn't move up to draft him. But if the Bills have a credible starting qb in place (currently we don't) I would not be hesitant to take him with one of our first round picks. In addition, if you have him on the roster you need to invest a lot of time working with him and coaching him up with no expectation of an immediate return on investment. 

23 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

All in one place! 

http://draftjoshallen.com/

All the reasons not to draft Josh Allen:
Against Iowa: 23-of-40 for 174 yards with two interceptions and zero touchdowns. He was only 9-of-19 for 92 yards with a touchdown against Hawaii.  Against Oregon, 9-of-24 for 64 yards with an interception.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Detective

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

All the reasons not to draft Josh Allen:
Against Iowa: 23-of-40 for 174 yards with two interceptions and zero touchdowns. He was only 9-of-19 for 92 yards with a touchdown against Hawaii.  Against Oregon, 9-of-24 for 64 yards with an interception.

That's what I thought too, but the comprehensive reasoning and impressive, advanced statistics on that website completely changed my mind. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Sometimes when you ignore the floor you fall through it. :)

I certainly wouldn't move up to draft him. But if the Bills have a credible starting qb in place (currently we don't) I would not be hesitant to take him with one of our first round picks. In addition, if you have him on the roster you need to invest a lot of time working with him and coaching him up with no expectation of an immediate return on investment. 

If we still need a QB and he’s there in the 20’s, I’d be shocked, but I’d be on board. Then you get the world’s best QB coach and pray for the best! 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

If we still need a QB and he’s there in the 20’s, I’d be shocked, but I’d be on board. Then you get the world’s best QB coach and pray for the best! 

You and I are in accord. If you are going to gamble on a player then do it for a player with raw talent. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve heard it more than a few times. Great arm, doesn’t love the game and has a different attitude. Rosen is my favorite guy in the draft. Those were just the nonsense comparisons that people make

Okay. So in attitude. Maybe his personality.

18 hours ago, Billy Zabka said:

I watched quite a few Wyoming games and it mystifies me that this guy is considered any better than a 3rd Round project let alone #1 overall by Kiper.  It's insane.

It seems as though there is one every year. 

2017: Kizer hyped as a #1 pick by some

2016: Paxton Lynch  ("best QB in the draft" said Sporting News). 

I don't remember who it was in 2015 - anyone? 

2014: Johnny FF in 2014 of course 

2013: Geno Smith (Jags at #2 or Jets) and Ryan Nassib (Bills and Jets were supposed to fight over him at #8 and #9) split honors I think. 

2012: Brock Osweiler was a 1st rounder in 2012 according to McVay I think. 

2011: Blaine Gabbert.  Also Ryan Mallet. 

2010: the Pickle (Claussen) per Kiper #1

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

You and I are in accord. If you are going to gamble on a player then do it for a player with raw talent. 

Please excuse if I'm mis-remembering, but weren't you part of the "can't improve accuracy" chorus for Fitzpatrick and EJM?

What makes raw talent but inaccuracy OK now?

8 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Does this guy have a great agent or something? I really don’t get how he is getting this top ten love. He’s big and athletic make him a tight end

I have suspected this happens and some in the know have confirmed.