Buffalo Bills a Prime FA destination?

Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I shouldn’t have to explain this a grown man but that comes down to the front office and what they’re looking for and willing to spend.

If Green Bay is offering the same amount of money to a FA as Miami you’d better believe they’re picking Miami. 

I completely disagree.  The NFL has the shortest careers. These guys want money and then they want to win.  Besides Suh, who they paid a ton of money to, who has Miami gotten?  We got Mario who was the top FA in his class.  They all live in Florida and California in the offseason anyways.

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Has McDermott and company shifted the winds at OBD? Is Buffalo becoming a place where young players and veterans can find themselves flourishing in?

we will see but I do see the Bills as a great destination to land at right now

https://www.google.com/amp/billswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/23/buffalo-bills-nfl-free-agency-top-destinations/amp/

The reputation has definitely changed. I don't think you'll attract players who love the media spotlight, as they'd rather be in big (warm) cities, but those aren't the type of players McD wants anyway.  In addition to winning, as the article states, it's the climate (and I don't mean weather).  While some people here have expressed a dislike for the term "Bills Mafia", I think the players dig it--you can tell by their tweets.  And, I think the Bills Mafia has gained a lot of respect around the league, especially after the Dalton fundraising effort. We all don't jump on tables and light ourselves on fire... 

• Like (+1) 1

But Miami means teal and orange!  Ha.

Not buying the bills as a prime destination thing.  Small city and cold late season.  I also think many Bills fans are the usual over optimistic as to next year.  We ended the streak by a nose hair and are not two or three key pieces from an AFC championship game appearance right yet.  On offense alone we need OL, QB, WRs (maybe several) and a backup RB.  We all know how we felt in week 16 when shady was punching the turf in pain - it was all over without him. . .a offense with a depth of one guy.

On a positive note, the locker room and persona of the team is finally being cleaned up and the fumigation of the Ryan twits seems complete. We seem to all agree that we have faith in the thinking and skills of leadership now in place.  We may not make the playoffs this year but with luck in how the draft picks pan out in the NFL we might make something decent in a few years.  Most exciting time for this team in several years at least- but prime destination and the idea of being a few pieces away is a bit fanboy.  :o)

Football (more so than any other sport) the city doesn’t matter.

- The careers are short and the contracts aren’t guaranteed. You go where you can get the most money.

- The season is the shortest and players almost never live in that city (it’s not just Buffalo either). They even go home once a week during the season.

- It is important that your family is comfortable in the area and with the organization. That can impact where a player signs. 

- Scheme and opportunity also come into play (especially if you are signing a short-term deal)

- Chance to win is much further down the list for an NFL player than in any other sport. That all has to do with the short career and non-guaranteed contracts. A ring is great but financial stability is way greater.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zonabb said:

So a "writer" for a site called "BillsWire" writes a piece absent any quotes from a single player about Buffalo as a desired FA destination and starts it with info from someone else's list of 9 teams, of which the Bills weren't one, and this is supposed to be credible? It's homerism at its worst. Clicked on it with looking at the link and after reading the first few paragraphs and skimming for any quotes, I remember why I never read anything written by a site called BillsWire. Having a website and byline does not make you credible. 

This^^

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I completely disagree.  The NFL has the shortest careers. These guys want money and then they want to win.  Besides Suh, who they paid a ton of money to, who has Miami gotten?  We got Mario who was the top FA in his class.  They all live in Florida and California in the offseason anyways.

I can prove points by cherry picking examples too. I don’t have the time or drive for that.

If you think all things (money) being even an absurdly large percentage of young millionaires don’t choose Miami over Green Bay or Buffalo you’re either incredibly myopic with little life experience, a Buffalo homer, or you haven’t visited Miami (with loads of disposable cash) or Wisconsin. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

2 hours ago, zonabb said:

So a "writer" for a site called "BillsWire" writes a piece absent any quotes from a single player about Buffalo as a desired FA destination and starts it with info from someone else's list of 9 teams, of which the Bills weren't one, and this is supposed to be credible? It's homerism at its worst. Clicked on it with looking at the link and after reading the first few paragraphs and skimming for any quotes, I remember why I never read anything written by a site called BillsWire. Having a website and byline does not make you credible. 

Well almost every piece written today is a puff piece or a bashing piece... not much middle ground

I made it a question? So it's not a valid fact... Buffalo is definitely a better destination today to play for than it was 7-10 years ago so I wanted your opinions 

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Has McDermott and company shifted the winds at OBD? Is Buffalo becoming a place where young players and veterans can find themselves flourishing in?

we will see but I do see the Bills as a great destination to land at right now

https://www.google.com/amp/billswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/23/buffalo-bills-nfl-free-agency-top-destinations/amp/

Not sure I'd go that far but if anything else I don't think we get viewed as a doormat/joke any more.  It felt the worst around 2009/2010ish.  Consider our record over these four year spans:

2010-2013  22 wins 42 losses

2014-2107  33 wins 31 losses and finally broke the drought 

47 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I can prove points by cherry picking examples too. I don’t have the time or drive for that.

If you think all things (money) being even an absurdly large percentage of young millionaires don’t choose Miami over Green Bay or Buffalo you’re either incredibly myopic with little life experience, a Buffalo homer, or you haven’t visited Miami (with loads of disposable cash) or Wisconsin. 

Give some examples of FAs that Miami or SD has gotten over Buffalo or GB.  

In a league where careers last an average of 3 years, the number 1 choice is money followed by winning. Miami should be a powerhouse by your logic. They aren't.  

5 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Not sure I'd go that far but if anything else I don't think we get viewed as a doormat/joke any more.  It felt the worst around 2009/2010ish.  Consider our record over these four year spans:

2010-2013  22 wins 42 losses

2014-2107  33 wins 31 losses and finally broke the drought 

Thank you that was more my point...

we really were viewed as a joke for a long time.

i think we have turned that corner and will be more attractive to incoming draftees and FAs alike

Tre is a southern Louisiana boy through and through and loves it in snowy Buffalo. Because we are winning 

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo will have more appeal than in years past. We made the playoffs with a team from relative obscurity with chemistry and some decent coaching. The players that have played in Buffalo for the most part say it is the best place they have ever played because of the fans. Food wise Buffalo is near the top of the charts and it's a great summer destination close to Canada. Ironic i'm writing this from Sunny 80+ degree florida.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thank you that was more my point...

we really were viewed as a joke for a long time.

i think we have turned that corner and will be more attractive to incoming draftees and FAs alike

Tre is a southern Louisiana boy through and through and loves it in snowy Buffalo. Because we are winning 

He'll never get the credit but Whaley changed how Buffalo was viewed. Did we ever have a problem getting a FA the last 5 years?

1 minute ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Buffalo will have more appeal than in years past. We made the playoffs with a team from relative obscurity with chemistry and some decent coaching. The players that have played in Buffalo for the most part say it is the best place they have ever played because of the fans. Food wise Buffalo is near the top of the charts and it's a great summer destination close to Canada. Ironic i'm writing this from Sunny 80+ degree florida.

Summer in Florida is hell. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He'll never get the credit but Whaley changed how Buffalo was viewed. Did we ever have a problem getting a FA the last 5 years?

Summer in Florida is hell. 

It technically started with signing Mario

I never thought Whaley was a bad identifier of talent. He was bad at managing the cap

He can scout football players 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I never thought Whaley was a bad identifier of talent. He was bad at managing the cap

Agreed.  I just don't ever think getting FAs was an awful problem for us.  Honestly, it's just about not having a franchise qb.  We've had enough talent to make the playoffs if we had better qb play. I honestly think it's that simple.

build through the draft, keep your talent as best you can at the right price, & supplement your roster with FAs at the right price.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Signing mario wasn’t bad... but really I think transitioning to having a real GM instead of the Marv/Brandon/littman/committee was the biggest. We are now a .500 club that functions at a basic Nfl level. We don’t stand out good or bad organizationally.

money is the biggest. 

Scheme fit and opportunity to shine next

comfort in the city and such behind there and means different things to different players.

1) money

2) future money

3) everything else.

when we were a mess we weren’t giving out #1 and were jeopardizing #2... and were bad with #3 but were already far behind in the game — but we’ve generally been better about that for awhile.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I shouldn’t have to explain this a grown man but that comes down to the front office and what they’re looking for and willing to spend.

If Green Bay is offering the same amount of money to a FA as Miami you’d better believe they’re picking Miami. 

Not if you want to participate in the playoffs.