Buffalo Bills a Prime FA destination?

Buffalo716

Has McDermott and company shifted the winds at OBD? Is Buffalo becoming a place where young players and veterans can find themselves flourishing in?

we will see but I do see the Bills as a great destination to land at right now

https://www.google.com/amp/billswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/23/buffalo-bills-nfl-free-agency-top-destinations/amp/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Hope we stick to the blue chip players, I don't want flashy free agents, just tough hombres that buy into the process. Let the divas go to Dallas and New York while we scoop up the guys that have been looked over with chips on their shoulders.

I fully agree with that. I want more guys like Hyde, poyer

just hard working football players. I don't need the best guy on the market 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think many will be disappointed with FA thinking we'll land many big fish, I hope we don't go this route anyhow.

Again i don't believe being a prime destination for FAs mean trying to land as many big fish as possible 

i mean getting good , hard working football players

you can find a lot of good scheme specific players in FA

I think Buffalo gained a huge boost in being an attractive FA destination by making the playoffs. Shows we are capable of winning immediately and showed off the best fan base in the league.

If they didn't know prior they know now just how important the Bills are to the community and will be treated like a king if they ball out. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I think Buffalo gained a huge boost in being an attractive FA destination by making the playoffs. Shows we are capable of winning immediately and showed off the best fan base in the league.

If they didn't know prior they know now just how important the Bills are to the community and will be treated like a king if they ball out. 

Not just by making the playoffs but also doing it with a limited roster void of caliber talent, in particular on offense.  I’m sure players out there can see what the Bills are doing with the management and “ the process “.  Sure people want to get paid but they also want to be on a potentially perennial contender and the Bills are on the rise.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Has McDermott and company shifted the winds at OBD? Is Buffalo becoming a place where young players and veterans can find themselves flourishing in?

https://www.google.com/amp/billswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/23/buffalo-bills-nfl-free-agency-top-destinations/amp/

Could be.

Smartest move is still to keep Russ Brandon away from the FA’s until after they sign.

People put too much stock into this. Just face it, we’re a cold weather, small market team. That isn’t very attractive to 20 something year old millionaires. 

They’d prefer Miami over Green Bay. It’s just the way it is. 

Luckily we we have a billionaire owner that seems to be very good at selling people on the idea of Buffalo. 

If you’re going to be an undesirable location, you need a good hype man, or a lot of money. Pegs is both. 

8 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Not just by making the playoffs but also doing it with a limited roster void of caliber talent, in particular on offense.  I’m sure players out there can see what the Bills are doing with the management and “ the process “.  Sure people want to get paid but they also want to be on a potentially perennial contender and the Bills are on the rise.

They also got rid of a lot of the talent. 

Just now, Bobby Hooks said:

People put too much stock into this. Just face it, we’re a cold weather, small market team. That isn’t very attractive to 20 something year old millionaires. 

They’d prefer Miami over Green Bay. It’s just the way it is. 

Luckily we we have a billionaire owner that seems to be very good at selling people on the idea of Buffalo. 

If you’re going to be an undesirable location, you need a good hype man, or a lot of money. Pegs is both. 

Must be why Miami is awesome every year and always gets top FAs. Oh wait, that doesn't happen at all.

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Free agents for the most part sign with teams for business reasons. The primary issue is which team is going to give them the best deal. It's a business. Signing with a team has little to do with the history of the franchise or the enthusiasm of the fans. The priority for players with a limited life span is the financial consideration. Sometimes players want to rehabilitate their status so they might sign a one year deal to restore their reputation. And sometimes players sign with a team like New England because they want  to experience success. The reality is that many players, if not most, don't in the offseason live in the area where they play. As an example Eric Wood was very active in the community but he lived in Louisville.  

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I think many will be disappointed with FA thinking we'll land many big fish, I hope we don't go this route anyhow.

Ya I agree. Spending big in free agency generally doesn’t work out well.

Where free agency can be effective is if the team is already good and they need to add 1 or 2 key pieces.

The Bills aren’t at that stage yet

So a "writer" for a site called "BillsWire" writes a piece absent any quotes from a single player about Buffalo as a desired FA destination and starts it with info from someone else's list of 9 teams, of which the Bills weren't one, and this is supposed to be credible? It's homerism at its worst. Clicked on it with looking at the link and after reading the first few paragraphs and skimming for any quotes, I remember why I never read anything written by a site called BillsWire. Having a website and byline does not make you credible. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They also got rid of a lot of the talent. 

Must be why Miami is awesome every year and always gets top FAs. Oh wait, that doesn't happen at all.

I shouldn’t have to explain this a grown man but that comes down to the front office and what they’re looking for and willing to spend.

If Green Bay is offering the same amount of money to a FA as Miami you’d better believe they’re picking Miami. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Hope we stick to the blue chip players, I don't want flashy free agents, just tough hombres that buy into the process. Let the divas go to Dallas and New York while we scoop up the guys that have been looked over with chips on their shoulders.

I don't think we look for "blue chip" players very often.  But that's because they rarely make it to the market nowadays.  The Bills approach seems to be looking for the underrated bargain stocks tbh.  But I agree with your overall premise.    

4 minutes ago, zonabb said:

So a "writer" for a site called "BillsWire" writes a piece absent any quotes from a single player about Buffalo as a desired FA destination and starts it with info from someone else's list of 9 teams, of which the Bills weren't one, and this is supposed to be credible? It's homerism at its worst. Clicked on it with looking at the link and after reading the first few paragraphs and skimming for any quotes, I remember why I never read anything written by a site called BillsWire. Having a website and byline does not make you credible. 

It looks like a list of reasons I convince myself at the start of every free agency period with the Bills and Sabres.