Taylor/Jackson Tandem

Flip Johnson

16 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I don’t get this. If you want a Tyrod Taylor-like Qb, no reason to draft one - you already got him!

Wrong. Tyrod vs. L. Jackson are not the same. Tyrod can only dream about making throws that Jackson does. I've seen enough of Tyrod here. He can't make those throws compared to Jackson.

5 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

I don't know if the Bills have a definitive plan yet or rather several possibilities that they are keeping in play as we get closer to draft day.

However, if the Bills are open to retaining Taylor, I could see them holding on to their picks or perhaps only moving up slightly to draft Lamar Jackson (right now evaluations on Lamar Jackson seem very fluid).

This would allow for a situation similar to what San Francisco had with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. The mobile, experienced game manager is starting, while the younger, more explosive QB is waiting in the wings. Lamar comes in and starts when he's ready, be that game 1, game 10, or 2019. In Kaepernick's case he took over a team with a 6-2-1 record. But in the meantime, Taylor plays at a reasonable price tag, and we already know he has the support of the locker room and decent career winning percentage.

I don't think McDermott wants to miss the playoffs this year - I don't think he's enamored with Taylor, but it's already proven that he can be a playoff team with him. Drafting Jackson (if you like him) would allow the Bills to basically keep their picks and fill out other needs. Plus, while I don't think they are at all the same player, they have some similar traits that Daboll may be able to take advantage of.

How did that work out for San Francisco?

30 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Wrong. Tyrod vs. L. Jackson are not the same. Tyrod can only dream about making throws that Jackson does. I've seen enough of Tyrod here. He can't make those throws compared to Jackson.

Agree, Domdab if you wander over to the Eliot Crist e v a l of Jackson thread look at the .gifs.  There are some of throws where I was "yeah, you know what, Tyrod would never make that throw because he'd have bailed out and run by then".  And you know it's not that Jackson couldn't, the point is, he doesn't

I don't think the Bills will draft him.  I think they're all in for a big pocket passer type.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Having listened to Beane talk about what they’re looking for in a quarterback, I don’t honk either guy fits the Bill.

i could totally see them going after a vet like Bradford, McCown, even Bortles if he’s cut, and then drafting someone to sit behind the vet. Even Bridgewater is a possibility. As for draft quarterbacks, I think they’ll go after Darnold/Allen/Rudolph. I think Rudolph will interview well and he might have a better head for the game than most think. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I want a trip to Belize.  And a pony.  I definitely want a pony.

I mean, who is this cerebral pocket passer you think we have a real shot to get?  I'd like Cousins myself followed by Rosen, but while the heart wants this, the head says that both may be out of our reach.

We've got a reasonable shot up to #4 or #5. Any of the QBs could be in play. The likelihood is that two will be gone but it could be one. No way to be sure which one.

Which cerebral pocket passer have we got a real shot to get? All of them. Some more likely than others, but Mayfield and maybe Cousins would likely be available. Throw in next year's number one and we might even trade up to #2. Pretty much anything could happen. Yeah, it's likely Darold or Rosen will be gone, but Kiper has Allen as #1 and Mayock has him as the #2 QB. You just don't know. If we're willing to make a really strong move up, we could get nearly any of them.

The question is whether we're willing to make that strong move or pay that salary for Cousins.

If you've got the money, a trip to Belize and a pony aren't all that crazy a dream. The Bills have the money, or the capital anyway.

Scroney legs Jackson and never throw it Tyrod, oh the future looks so bright. Run Tyrod run, run Jackson run.

They can take turns on the IR while we continue with a new OC every season. Hopefully Cinci will give us that wild card again.

• Like (+1) 2

I would be disgusted if that was our QB situation come August along with Peterman. There would be a lot more of defenses loading the box against us because we still wouldn't have a QB that could beat you with his arm. God knows I hope this does NOT happen. I also hope that our FO is smarter than that. This is Beane's real first offseason and we have the opportunity to change the course of this franchise for years to come. I hope the moves made signify that and not more of the same fool's gold we have seen over the last two decades. 

Edited by H2o

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I want a trip to Belize.  And a pony.  I definitely want a pony.

I mean, who is this cerebral pocket passer you think we have a real shot to get?  I'd like Cousins myself followed by Rosen, but while the heart wants this, the head says that both may be out of our reach.

I've been to Belize, it wasn't all that special, I liked Bermuda much better :)

A pony smells and poops a lot.

(Just joking on your post)

I agree though.

Every person is like "just sign cousins and be done with it" as if it's like going to Walmart and buying a gallon of milk.

There are other teams competing for him, and cap space is an issue for us this year.

"Just draft Baker/Rosen/darnold and be done with it" ... None of them will be available when we draft as is, which means a trade up, which means somebody has to be willing to trade, which isn't always the case.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

There is a QB coach for this, tons of game film, and Lamar Jackson has a mind of his own. A good QB will succeed regardless of the previous QB.

Lol, right? No where did I compare or infer Jackson would just BECAUSE tyrod was previously the Bills qb. A 'bridge' qb however is a very real thing. McGowan seems to get universal praise bc he is so good with the other younger qbs. There will always be coaches, but that's where that line ends...with the white line on the edge of the playing field. My point was that just bc tyrod is also an excellent African American athlete, that doesn't automatically make him the best fit to mentor him. At this point in his career,  he's got his own game he needs to worry about. I wouldn't love tyrod showing him the ropes as people seem to suggest would be a good thing, lazily, again because of skill set and skin color.  

35 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Lol, right? No where did I compare or infer Jackson would just BECAUSE tyrod was previously the Bills qb. A 'bridge' qb however is a very real thing. McGowan seems to get universal praise bc he is so good with the other younger qbs. There will always be coaches, but that's where that line ends...with the white line on the edge of the playing field. My point was that just bc tyrod is also an excellent African American athlete, that doesn't automatically make him the best fit to mentor him. At this point in his career,  he's got his own game he needs to worry about. I wouldn't love tyrod showing him the ropes as people seem to suggest would be a good thing, lazily, again because of skill set and skin color.  

only racists see racist ghosts around every corner.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

We've got a reasonable shot up to #4 or #5. Any of the QBs could be in play. The likelihood is that two will be gone but it could be one. No way to be sure which one.

Which cerebral pocket passer have we got a real shot to get? All of them. Some more likely than others, but Mayfield and maybe Cousins would likely be available. Throw in next year's number one and we might even trade up to #2. Pretty much anything could happen. Yeah, it's likely Darold or Rosen will be gone, but Kiper has Allen as #1 and Mayock has him as the #2 QB. You just don't know. If we're willing to make a really strong move up, we could get nearly any of them.

The question is whether we're willing to make that strong move or pay that salary for Cousins.

If you've got the money, a trip to Belize and a pony aren't all that crazy a dream. The Bills have the money, or the capital anyway.

Does anybody who clamors for cousins look at our cap?

Unless we get him to take like $18mil a year we are literally not going to get him

I saw the Michael Vick 2.0 comparisons online. Michael Vick had success because he was built like a RB. Lamar Jackson is built like a WR. He will have some limited success because he is a playmaker but he will never be Vick. His build is more comparable to RG3 and we saw how long his toothpick legs lasted. Running QB's don't last very long at the NFL level and skinny running QB's last even less

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As long as he's a FA, there are strategies for that

I agree, but there's only so much room, and only so much wiggle room he might be willing to give

A backloaded contract might work, but that could cause trouble later

Mind you I would love Kirk and I fully believe they should make a push for him

I'm just trying to say that people like to say things like "sign cousins" as if it's that easy, and an absolute.

Ya know?

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I saw the Michael Vick 2.0 comparisons online. Michael Vick had success because he was built like a RB. Lamar Jackson is built like a WR. He will have some limited success because he is a playmaker but he will never be Vick. His build is more comparable to RG3 and we saw how long his toothpick legs lasted. Running QB's don't last very long at the NFL level and skinny running QB's last even less

Vick has made the Vick comparisons! 

It's going to come out at the combine what Jackson really weighs.  He's young, and if he's 6'3" 210, he should be OK after a pro training program puts more strength on him.  If he's really 185-190 as Buffalo716' contacts say, it's a problem.

Jackson needs to have it thrown down for him: if you say you're a QB, and you want to play QB in the NFL, this is what you have to do: learn to slide - right now, go out and hire you a baseball coach and start learning.  Continue your progression at seeing those run lanes as passing opportunities.  His best friend in the pros would be a team with a RB who is a better runner (Louisville did not have this).

It is probably worth pointing out that while everyone says "durability!" Jackson somehow managed to play 3 seasons uninjured, while Mr Pocket (Rosen) has had shoulder surgery, hand problems, and 2 concussions.  I do "get it" that pocket QB have more protections in the NFL, but so do sliding QB.  Learn to slide, Lamar.

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I agree, but there's only so much room, and only so much wiggle room he might be willing to give

A backloaded contract might work, but that could cause trouble later

Mind you I would love Kirk and I fully believe they should make a push for him

I'm just trying to say that people like to say things like "sign cousins" as if it's that easy, and an absolute.

Ya know?

I know.  Same with "draft Darnold" or "draft Rosen".

I just think that being able to sign a big FA with a back-loaded contract may have been the driver for a number of puzzling moves that were made (like Dareus) - take the cap hit now when we can pay a big signing bonus and pro-rate it, and pay a big salary next year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Vick has made the Vick comparisons! 

It's going to come out at the combine what Jackson really weighs.  He's young, and if he's 6'3" 210, he should be OK after a pro training program puts more strength on him.  If he's really 185-190 as Buffalo716' contacts say, it's a problem.

Jackson needs to have it thrown down for him: if you say you're a QB, and you want to play QB in the NFL, this is what you have to do: learn to slide - right now, go out and hire you a baseball coach and start learning.  Continue your progression at seeing those run lanes as passing opportunities.  His best friend in the pros would be a team with a RB who is a better runner (Louisville did not have this).

It is probably worth pointing out that while everyone says "durability!" Jackson somehow managed to play 3 seasons uninjured, while Mr Pocket (Rosen) has had shoulder surgery, hand problems, and 2 concussions.  I do "get it" that pocket QB have more protections in the NFL, but so do sliding QB.  Learn to slide, Lamar.

I know.  Same with "draft Darnold" or "draft Rosen".

I just think that being able to sign a big FA with a back-loaded contract may have been the driver for a number of puzzling moves that were made (like Dareus) - take the cap hit now when we can pay a big signing bonus and pro-rate it, and pay a big salary next year.

*Slowclap*

Glad we agree (on Jackson too)

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Pony disallowed by our housing code.  I could get ducks though, and possibly a goat.  Bills have money, but possibly only enough for a trip to Destin FL relative to competitors.

Can you explain what in Mayfield's game leads you to describe him as a "cerebral pocket passer"?  Not saying he couldn't become one, just saying that's not his "Now".

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pony disallowed by our housing code.  I could get ducks though, and possibly a goat.  Bills have money, but possibly only enough for a trip to Destin FL relative to competitors.

Can you explain what in Mayfield's game leads you to describe him as a "cerebral pocket passer"?  Not saying he couldn't become one, just saying that's not his "Now".

I see a better version of Colt McCoy with Baker (that's a good thing, Colt actually was looking to be a top pick before his shoulder injury)

He reminds me of manziel and Russell Wilson in their size, rolling out, improv, backyard football type playstyle.

Baker has a better arm and accuracy than Johnny had, but is less athletic.

I don't think Baker is Johnny 2.0 with his personality/character by any means, that's absurd to me, but his playstyle is similar, but I think baker's strengths will translate to the NFL better.

He is about as far from a "cerebral pocket passer" as this qb draft has though.

Edited by SouthNYfan