Taylor/Jackson Tandem

Flip Johnson

I don't know if the Bills have a definitive plan yet or rather several possibilities that they are keeping in play as we get closer to draft day.

However, if the Bills are open to retaining Taylor, I could see them holding on to their picks or perhaps only moving up slightly to draft Lamar Jackson (right now evaluations on Lamar Jackson seem very fluid).

This would allow for a situation similar to what San Francisco had with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. The mobile, experienced game manager is starting, while the younger, more explosive QB is waiting in the wings. Lamar comes in and starts when he's ready, be that game 1, game 10, or 2019. In Kaepernick's case he took over a team with a 6-2-1 record. But in the meantime, Taylor plays at a reasonable price tag, and we already know he has the support of the locker room and decent career winning percentage.

I don't think McDermott wants to miss the playoffs this year - I don't think he's enamored with Taylor, but it's already proven that he can be a playoff team with him. Drafting Jackson (if you like him) would allow the Bills to basically keep their picks and fill out other needs. Plus, while I don't think they are at all the same player, they have some similar traits that Daboll may be able to take advantage of.

The advantage to this approach is we build a system for  a mobile QB - allowing Jackson to sit for a year and if successful we hit the NFL homerun after 1 year by trading tyrod away  for a pick while moving down to a qb on his rookie deal  - keeping the same system and gaining 17mil in cap

Edited by jahbonas
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jahbonas said:

The advantage to this approach is we build a system for  a mobile QB - allowing Jackson to sit for a year and if successful we hit the NFL homerun after 1 year by trading tyrod away  for a pick while moving down to a qb on his rookie deal  - keeping the same system and gaining 17mil in cap

How would we trade Tyrod after this coming season?

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't want more running QBs.

I want a cerebral pocket passer

I want a trip to Belize.  And a pony.  I definitely want a pony.

I mean, who is this cerebral pocket passer you think we have a real shot to get?  I'd like Cousins myself followed by Rosen, but while the heart wants this, the head says that both may be out of our reach.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I want a trip to Belize.  And a pony.  I definitely want a pony.

I mean, who is this cerebral pocket passer you think we have a real shot to get?  I'd like Cousins myself followed by Rosen, but while the heart wants this, the head says that both may be out of our reach.

Well that's the conundrum.. Even Darnold and Baker show flashes of being high end pocket passers.. but realistically I don't believe we have a shot at them unless we give up a bunch and move up 

but my original take is just my opinion that for the future of our franchise.. 5-10 even 40 years from now I just prefer pocket passers

I don't dislike TT or Lamar and certainly not Mike Vick but I'd just rather have a Matt Ryan vs a Donovan McNabb at QB...

and its no knock on Donovan who is ONE HECK of a QB and we coulda used a guy like him for the last 18 years

i just prefer natural pocket passers because they are protected in today's league by the rules of the game.. running QBs arent

Edited by Buffalo716

Lamar Jackson can become the pocket passer that I'm looking for. I know he's hearing all of the criticism, such as he runs too much and can't do that at the NFL to succeed, should play wide receiver, etc. I hope those guys keep talking $hit. Jackson needs that in his head to work hard to prove them all wrong.

I'm tired of QBs who look to run first, too. But I want Lamar here in Buffalo since the other QBs rated ahead of him will gone by the time we draft. I don't want us to trade picks for any of those guys because we have a lot of holes to fill. I think Dahnold, Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield are overrated. Too much hype and the talking heads do this every friggin' year.

But when it comes to a black QB, "oh he's polarizing." WTF does that mean? Dude glows in the dark? The hell?

"Dude, play another position. Be a slash guy like Kordell Stewart or play receiver or defensive back." Ok pfft whatever. Let Tim Tebow do that crap. Let Lamar Jackson have his chance to dunk on a bioootch.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Lamar Jackson can become the pocket passer that I'm looking for. I know he's hearing all of the criticism, such as he runs too much and can't do that at the NFL to succeed, should play wide receiver, etc. I hope those guys keep talking $hit. Jackson needs that in his head to work hard to prove them all wrong.

I'm tired of QBs who look to run first, too. But I want Lamar here in Buffalo since the other QBs rated ahead of him will gone by the time we draft. I don't want us to trade picks for any of those guys because we have a lot of holes to fill. I think Dahnold, Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield are overrated. Too much hype and the talking heads do this every friggin' year.

But when it comes to a black QB, "oh he's polarizing." WTF does that mean? Dude glows in the dark? The hell?

"Dude, play another position. Be a slash guy like Kordell Stewart or play receiver or defensive back." Ok pfft whatever. Let Tim Tebow do that crap. Let Lamar Jackson have his chance to dunk on a bioootch.

Well I certainly wouldn't make it a race thing. If Lamar is 6'3 210+ like they say he is then he absolutely deserves a shot as a QB

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well I certainly wouldn't make it a race thing. If Lamar is 6'3 210+ like they say he is then he absolutely deserves a shot as a QB

Yep. I agree. He has the height and weight.  I think the most polarizing QB prospect is Mayfield. Kid is 6-1. He's a midget at QB. He's no Doug Flutie.

How about a Tyrod Rosen tandem? Or Taylor Mayfield? Does this only work with excellent African American athletes? Not everyone, but it blows my mind how much traction this tandem has gotten since yesterday's report... or any time anyone has mentioned drafting Jackson previously.  Just seems like a lazy steretyping take. Personally, i dont want Jackson. But should he end up here - I'm not sure I want Tyrod being the one to show him the ropes as he hasn't exactly mastered the position at the NFL level..

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Yep. I agree. He has the height and weight.  I think the most polarizing QB prospect is Mayfield. Kid is 6-1. He's a midget at QB. He's no Doug Flutie.

Hes not even 6'1 .. He measured in a little over 6' at the SR Bowl. But he was 216 pound... 

hes a little stocky lol

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

How about a Tyrod Rosen tandem? Or Taylor Mayfield? Does this only work with excellent African American athletes? Not everyone, but it blows my mind how much traction this tandem has gotten since yesterday's report... or any time anyone has mentioned drafting Jackson previously.  Just seems like a lazy steretyping take. Personally, i dont want Jackson. But should he end up here - I'm not sure I want Tyrod being the one to show him the ropes as he hasn't exactly mastered the position at the NFL level..

There is a QB coach for this, tons of game film, and Lamar Jackson has a mind of his own. A good QB will succeed regardless of the previous QB.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hes not even 6'1 .. He measured in a little over 6' at the SR Bowl. But he was 216 pound... 

hes a little stocky lol

Drew Brees is only 6' and Russell Wilson isn't even 6'.  OTOH,  Brock Osweiler is like 6'7".