2-23: Ian Rapoport on WGR

26CornerBlitz

2-23: IAN RAPOPORT ON WGR (10:40)

@WGR550
NFL Insider Ian Rapoport (@rapsheet) on now with Schopp and the Bulldog

Rapoport- Everyone assumes $6 million dollars is up, the #Bills  are just gonna cut him [Taylor] and figure it out from there. That is  definitely not my understanding. I would be very surprised, I do not  expect them to just cut him. I would expect them to try to upgrade.

Rapoport- What I would expect them to do is pay the $6 million bonus and just say okay now we have either a starting QB in 2018, a one-year $10 million contract that is very tradeable, or a player we're just gonna keep there until we find someone better, potentially moving up

Rapoport- I do think they'll be aggressive. Saw that this year as  they tried to remake their team on the fly, and I would expect them to  do that in the quarterback market. I would not expect them to sit back... They have two first-rounders, you can do a lot of things with that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rapoport is one of the few who said Taylor would be back with the Bills in 2017.  He's far better than LaConjecture, but you probably are too. 

I think Ian is fairly solid in his reporting. La Canfora is an idiot, even DC Tom said so. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, White Linen said:

Maybe I just don't understand but we'd pay $6 million to have a trade able contract?  Even if you got a 4th round pick - isn't that a lot to pay?  I can't wrap my head around that being one of the lines of thought for paying the bonus.  

We all hope that this regime will be better at these decisions than those others in the last 20 years but we'll have to wait and see.  Keeping Tyrod around past the bonus date only makes sense if they're still not sure what they're going to do and what they do may depend on what happens in free agency prior to the draft.  If, say, Alex Smith does go to Washington, Cousins to Denver and maybe Foles to Arizona, Bradford to the Jets and an McCarron to Cleveland , then maybe Tyrod is retained.

If they can't (theoretically, like with a QB who has been on a playoff team) upgrade the QB position, then keeping TT is the best option.  You increase his trade value while looking for that upgrade at best, and at worst have the QB who was on the team that ended the 17-year playoff drought.

• Like (+1) 2

Starting to warm up to this idea. While I hope we do better Tyrod, we've seen far worse. We've seen Tyrods ceiling and need the positions needs to upgrade as soon as possible, but if we just drop Tyrod, we are almost forced to give up the farm to move up in the draft. Keeping Tyrod makes us seem less desperate and we might be able to find a more friendly trade

Edited by uticaclub

15 hours ago, White Linen said:

Maybe I just don't understand but we'd pay $6 million to have a trade able contract?  Even if you got a 4th round pick - isn't that a lot to pay?  I can't wrap my head around that being one of the lines of thought for paying the bonus.  

The thing is that due to the structure of how they reworked his 2016 contract, cutting him would have resulted in $0.1 M on the cap. His signing bonus would been wrapped over to count for the bonus on the books.

This way by paying it, we have a 1 year, $10M contract to offer for a low end starter, high end backup. That is decent trade bait and an ok backup plan

17 hours ago, White Linen said:

They need to hedge their bet and to have a QB.  Depending on how things turn out they might be glad to have TT.  

Also the trade could be for another player who is carrying dead or bonus money too.  

A trade cant be made yet so they could be postering for other teams that might be interested in him.  

I wonder what draft pick would be worth eating 6 million..

3 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I'm sure the Tyrod haters know how to lead this team to another playoff appearance better than the current regime which actually just did that. 

20 incompletions 130 yards vs jags.  

Real qb a week later vs jags.    

469 yards 5 td’s            Turn the page, he stinks and you know it.  

13 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

We all hope that this regime will be better at these decisions than those others in the last 20 years but we'll have to wait and see.  Keeping Tyrod around past the bonus date only makes sense if they're still not sure what they're going to do and what they do may depend on what happens in free agency prior to the draft.  If, say, Alex Smith does go to Washington, Cousins to Denver and maybe Foles to Arizona, Bradford to the Jets and an McCarron to Cleveland , then maybe Tyrod is retained.

Somehow this game of musical chairs isn't as fun now as when I was in kindergarten.