This is a thread all about Yolo giving credit to Michigan

YoloinOhio

Yep. You read that right. They are finally doing some things right up in AA. Harbaugh taking a cue from Urban in jettisoning Drevno... Urban is famous for “re-assigning” assistants he doesn’t think are good enough by urging retirements or finding them jobs with other programs.  No, Drevno wasn’t “fired” but we all know he didn’t step down on his own accord.  

And then bringing in McElwain and Warriner. Warriner as OL coach is huge. He’s great in that role and he is also a very good recruiter. He sucked as an OC but his partner in Co-OC suckiness, Tim Beck may be a factor.   It’s amazing how since Harbaugh took over their defense has been good to great, and their offense putrid. He’s supposed to be an offensive guy and a QB guru yet the offense threw for EIGHT total TDs last year and he still had not developed a QB. That said, taking these steps with a guy like McElwain who failed at UF but was a good offense mind prior to thread plus adding Warriner makes me think they are figuring things out up there??!!!

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Thank you for this thread, Yolo.

To be honest, I had not heard about any of this news. Guess that's what happens when you are a fan of a team in a completely other state.

I do find it interesting that Harbaugh has done a splendid job with Michigan's defense and not the offense. Although, I will give him plenty of room on that, since most of the offensive players at WR were freshmen.

I wish he would just let Peters and McCaffrey fight it out at QB and let them go from there.

Adding Shea Patterson to the mix is cute and all, but just go with who you recruited.

Edited by Mark Vader

15 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Thank you for this thread, Yolo.

To be honest, I had not heard about any of this news. Guess that's what happens when you are a fan of a team in a completely other state.

I do find it interesting that Harbaugh has done a splendid job with Michigan's defense and not the offense. Although, I will give him plenty of room on that, since most of the offensive players at WR were freshmen.

I wish he would just let Peters and McCaffrey fight it out at QB and let them go from there.

Adding Shea Patterson to the mix is cute and all, but just go with who you recruited.

Buckeye fans are not too pleased Warriner is up there now but, it is what it is. He’s a tremendous OL coach and doesn’t need 5 star talent either.  Urban got rid of him as OC, could have found a way to keep him as OL coach maybe but he didnt. Btw his son is playing at Sparty. 

On 2/23/2018 at 12:55 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Yep. You read that right. They are finally doing some things right up in AA. Harbaugh taking a cue from Urban in jettisoning Drevno... Urban is famous for “re-assigning” assistants he doesn’t think are good enough by urging retirements or finding them jobs with other programs.  No, Drevno wasn’t “fired” but we all know he didn’t step down on his own accord.  

And then bringing in McElwain and Warriner. Warriner as OL coach is huge. He’s great in that role and he is also a very good recruiter. He sucked as an OC but his partner in Co-OC suckiness, Tim Beck may be a factor.   It’s amazing how since Harbaugh took over their defense has been good to great, and their offense putrid. He’s supposed to be an offensive guy and a QB guru yet the offense threw for EIGHT total TDs last year and he still had not developed a QB. That said, taking these steps with a guy like McElwain who failed at UF but was a good offense mind prior to thread plus adding Warriner makes me think they are figuring things out up there??!!!

Did that hurt? Did you lose a bet? 

On 2/23/2018 at 12:55 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Harbaugh needed to do something. The pressure is on in Ann Arbor for him to produce. It hasn't happened yet and mediocre seasons will not be accepted for long.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, YoloinOhio said:

When McElwain left Florida, I thought, "he really needs to go to a bigger program and learn how to be a better head coach."  I laughed my ass off when I heard it was going to be at Michigan with Harbaugh!  I can't think of a worse role model for someone with McElwain's personality flaws.

Oh well....

16 hours ago, Acantha said:

When McElwain left Florida, I thought, "he really needs to go to a bigger program and learn how to be a better head coach."  I laughed my ass off when I heard it was going to be at Michigan with Harbaugh!  I can't think of a worse role model for someone with McElwain's personality flaws.

Oh well....

I’m not sure he will be a HC again anytime soon. OC seems like the right fit for him.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure he will be a HC again anytime soon. OC seems like the right fit for him.

I think he can go the Kiffin route and go back to a smaller school and be a head coach.  He's not untalented, he's just incredibly weird and way too over confident.  He's basically a less talented mini-Harbaugh.

Sure, what the hell, I'm obsessed with Michigan (mostly to feed my hate) so I'll chime here.

As an OL coach, Warriner took a line that underperformed early in 2014, and helped them improve over the course of a season that included surviving OT in Happy Valley,  pushing back one of the best defenses at MSU that I can remember, outlasting a game Michigan squad,  and then of course the epic run all the way to a national title in front of a QB carousel.  Promoting him to OC was a mistake; if you look back at the Go Bucks thread on here I bet you'll find several posts calling for Warriner to move back to OL.  This is a high quality position coach who knows the B1G very well, and maybe most important he understands exactly what Urban is trying to do at OSU.   GREAT hire for Harbaugh.

Regardless of the coaches, Michigan's dreams will rise or fall on whether Shea Patterson is granted a waiver to play this year as a transfer student.  Last year that team had plenty of talent but the piss poor QB play completely derailed the season.  If Patterson plays I'd expect to see the swagger come back in a hurry and, well, I'm old enough to know what can happen then.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Sure, what the hell, I'm obsessed with Michigan (mostly to feed my hate) so I'll chime here.

As an OL coach, Warriner took a line that underperformed early in 2014, and helped them improve over the course of a season that included surviving OT in Happy Valley,  pushing back one of the best defenses at MSU that I can remember, outlasting a game Michigan squad,  and then of course the epic run all the way to a national title in front of a QB carousel.  Promoting him to OC was a mistake; if you look back at the Go Bucks thread on here I bet you'll find several posts calling for Warriner to move back to OL.  This is a high quality position coach who knows the B1G very well, and maybe most important he understands exactly what Urban is trying to do at OSU.   GREAT hire for Harbaugh.

Regardless of the coaches, Michigan's dreams will rise or fall on whether Shea Patterson is granted a waiver to play this year as a transfer student.  Last year that team had plenty of talent but the piss poor QB play completely derailed the season.  If Patterson plays I'd expect to see the swagger come back in a hurry and, well, I'm old enough to know what can happen then.

My buddies and I were saying over the weekend that if TTUN just had a decent QB the last two years they beat OSU pretty easily. Now I don’t WANT that to happen!!! But, still how could  Harbaugh not solve that position ... truly mind boggling. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 2/27/2018 at 12:04 PM, Willyville Guy said:

This.   Shea Patterson will dramatically improve the offense.  If he plays well he will be a first round pick next year.

On 2/27/2018 at 8:04 PM, YoloinOhio said:

My buddies and I were saying over the weekend that if TTUN just had a decent QB the last two years they beat OSU pretty easily. Now I don’t WANT that to happen!!! But, still how could  Harbaugh not solve that position ... truly mind boggling. 

If OSU had a decent QB the last two years it would be woodshed time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.