Steelers are "listening to potential deals" for Martavis Bryant.

KGun12TD

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

So now we want good character guys, but when Baker Mayfield is brought up the excuses fly for his past transgressions.  

Interesting.

What has Mayfield done that is so bad? Bait fans? You're way too sensitive if you think that's anything. 

12 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

What has Mayfield done that is so bad? Bait fans? You're way too sensitive if you think that's anything. 

Quit on Texas Tech

Grabbed his crotch against Kansas

Flag Plant at OSU

Offseason arrest

Just to name a few.

But hey, at least he didn't complain about being denied the ability to take a key class to get his finance degree.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree with you, but if Beane is moving up I don’t know he will give another pick for a WR with so many other holes.  But i would love to land Bryant in a trade

Not even one of the 5th round picks?  I know we did well picking Milano last year but 5th round picks aren't exactly consistent winning picks.  The guy doesn't want to be in Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh doesn't want him, I could see a buyer's market type deal to get him out of there.  I'd rather have a proven talent than a 5th round pick that likely won't workout.

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Maybe......but there isn't a lot available in FA and those guys have a choice where they go......which is not a good thing for the Bills.

They don't need multiple WR's they need one specific high quality WR and there isn't a player like Bryant on that FA market(assuming Watkins doesn't make it there).  

Terrell Pryor shares some athletic traits with Bryant but he's not nearly the same overall talent at WR.

And a guy like Paul Richardson is less proven and only 6' and will cost maybe $40M over 5 years based off of one solid season.

I think an early day three pick would be great here. 

Receivers are costly on the open market and unreliable late in the draft. To get a guy with his ability on rookie pay scale is a huge win for a team that absolutely gutted the roster of cheap talent.

1 minute ago, Woodman19 said:

This all seems moot until we figure out what we are doing at QB.

You are right - we shouldn’t sign anyone til May 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I think an early day three pick would be great here. 

Receivers are costly on the open market and unreliable late in the draft. To get a guy with his ability on rookie pay scale is a huge win for a team that absolutely gutted the roster of cheap talent.

You are right - we shouldn’t sign anyone til May 

Not what I meant, what if we trade a pick that would have been the difference between moving up for Darnold or Rosen and instead have to settle down the road for a lesser talent just so we can add a WR for one year?

Just now, Woodman19 said:

This all seems moot until we figure out what we are doing at QB.

Why not stock up at WR for next year for whoever they go after at QB? It will likely be a low cost and if it's not then move on.  We are very likely to get a new QB, there's no reason to dilly dally around and wait for a WR now.  They would all hit the field at the start of this season right?  I don't understand why we wouldn't go after another WR because we currently don't have our QB but we are likely to get them in a month.  

Just now, Woodman19 said:

Not what I meant, what if we trade a pick that would have been the difference between moving up for Darnold or Rosen and instead have to settle down the road for a lesser talent just so we can add a WR for one year?

We have a ton of picks both this year and more than all of ours next year, one later round pick is not gonna change that

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

We have a ton of picks both this year and more than all of ours next year, one later round pick is not gonna change that

If you assume Bryant is being given away, then yes.  However look what Sammy fetched last year, not that it would be the same but I doubt it's a cheap as people assume.

3 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

If we are unable to replace a 4th rounder in a compensation package - we don’t deserve the qb. 

Its like saying we cant buy a new car because we went out for lunch last week. Maybe we skip some other minor expense and don’t buy coffee today but it shouldn’t effect the MAJOR commitments 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Woodman19 said:

If you assume Bryant is being given away, then yes.  However look what Sammy fetched last year, not that it would be the same but I doubt it's a cheap as people assume.

So then you have your price of what is too much to give.  I wouldn't give any more than our 4th round pick this year which is late.  That will not make a dent in a deal with moving up.  We have more picks this year in that area and next year.  We have an extra 4th round pick next year too from the Ragland deal and all of our picks.  We have more than enough picks to give up a mid to late round pick and still move up.  Not even a question IMO

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

If we are unable to replace a 4th rounder in a compensation package - we don’t deserve the qb. 

Its like saying we cant buy a new car because we went out for lunch last week. Maybe we skip some other minor expense and don’t buy coffee today but it shouldn’t effect the MAJOR commitments 

My analogy would be, you are about to go into battle knowing you only face 3 enemies, so why waste bullets screwing around leaving the bare minimum and upping the pressure when you can finish the task and screw around with left afterwards.

9 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

My analogy would be, you are about to go into battle knowing you only face 3 enemies, so why waste bullets screwing around leaving the bare minimum and upping the pressure when you can finish the task and screw around with left afterwards.

And in that analogy a day 3 pick is akin to a rock or a stick.

If we are giving up massive compensation and that tiny value is the dealbreaker and we can’t roll in a slightly higher pick, a next year pick, player, extra late round picks, etc.... we weren’t winning the fight to begin with 

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

Sure.

The Steelers can have Shaq for him.

haha

I've considered that because Shaq is a better fit for Pitt's defense than Buffalo.

But I think Shaq having the 1st round cap hit devalues him from a 4th round value to a 5th.

He'd cost the Steelers twice as much money as Bryant.........and Bryant is far more productive.

Maybe a cap rich team would trade a 4th for Shaq and then the Bills could flip that but the Steelers have a lot of veteran stars so they are likely to be more cap conscious.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

And in that analogy a day 3 pick is akin to a rock or a stick.

If we are giving up massive compensation and that tiny value is the dealbreaker and we can’t roll in a slightly higher pick, a next year pick, player, extra late round picks, etc.... we weren’t winning the fight to begin with 

Yeah if the Bills first 4 picks don't get it done then all the rest of their picks this year will not either.

If they gotta' deal all the 1's and 2's the next thing they will need to do is use a 1 or a 2 next year.

The Bills 3rd this year is the last pick of the original round.........big difference between 65th pick and 96th pick........and that 96th pick ain't going to be worth much in a trade up.

Could be valuable in a veteran trade though.

A team with the 65th pick is going to value their 3rd rounder a lot more than you will that 96th pick 3rd rounder........so they are going to want to offer their round 4 pick for the same player.

Eagles did that to us with Jason Peters........."technically" the Bills got a first rounder for him but it was at the end of the round.    Pats did it with Brandon Cooks last year.   

18 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Who is the bigger douche, Watkins or Bryant ?

Are Bryant's stats right there with Sammy's ?

Watkins is a prima donna thinks he's better than he really is

Bryant is a selfish head case and poison pill in the locker room

Bryant was drafted by a team sporting a 2 time Super Bowl champion future HoF QB with a track record of bringing out the best in his WRs.  Antwan Randel-El (Redskins), Santonio Holmes (Jets), Mike Wallace (Dolphins), and Emmanual Sanders (Broncos) all flourished on their way to an oversized pay day outside of Pittsburgh.  All MB had to do was keep his frustrations quiet, let Ben Roethlesberger do Ben Roethlesberger things and Bryant could have left Pittsburgh on his own terms with nice big contract in his pocket

According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, the Bills "were trying to get involved last year" in a trade for Martavis Bryant.

“We assume this happened around the trade deadline when Bryant voiced his desire to leave Pittsburgh when he lost his starting job to JuJu Smith-Schuster. Fowler believes teams came to the Steelers offering a fourth-rounder, but it wasn't enough in Pittsburgh's eyes. Fowler, however, does think a second- or high third-rounder could get the deal done this offseason. Bryant's contract expires after 2018, and he isn't expected to accept a long-term deal with the Steelers due to his desire to be a No. 1 receiver. That obviously isn't happening with the Steelers.”

-espn.com

44 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Watkins is a prima donna thinks he's better than he really is

Bryant is a selfish head case and poison pill in the locker room

Bryant was drafted by a team sporting a 2 time Super Bowl champion future HoF QB with a track record of bringing out the best in his WRs.  Antwan Randel-El (Redskins), Santonio Holmes (Jets), Mike Wallace (Dolphins), and Emmanual Sanders (Broncos) all flourished on their way to an oversized pay day outside of Pittsburgh.  All MB had to do was keep his frustrations quiet, let Ben Roethlesberger do Ben Roethlesberger things and Bryant could have left Pittsburgh on his own terms with nice big contract in his pocket

No......Bryant's well liked......the big issue with Bryant was the fallout from the 2016 suspension.

Like many weed fails he felt screwed by he league and that the Steelers were using their leverage to it's fullest to keep him at peanuts-level compensation.

His perception was that the team didn't have his back............meanwhile the Steelers felt they had his back for sticking with him.

Bryant actually has a point in that he'd have been quickly snapped up if the Steelers didn't stick with him........and then he'd be a UFA right now rather than slated to make $700K.

So from his perspective the team is double-dipping on the already far below value deal he had to sign being a 4th round pick.

I'll say this much.........at least he tried and made plays his first two seasons rather than working his team over knowing that he could get minimum wage ANYWHERE the way Marquis Goodwin did the Bills for the first 3 seasons of his deal.