Fairburn: 5 Teams that Should Consider Trading for Tyrod Taylor

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Exactly.  No decent free agent is coming here when the Bills are obviously interested in a 1st round QB without getting a crazy contract like Glennon.  As much as most of want an upgrade over Taylor, the guy is respected in the locker room and under contract for another year at a reasonable number. 

Yup!  

He is the BEST choice for a Bridge QB.  He has 1 year left on his deal, so he clears the way next year no matter what for the rookie to take over (if he had not already).  Signing a quality temp vet here is going to take at least a 2 year deal, if not more, at a higher cost than TT.  So that means once the Rookie takes over this year or beginning of next, we will have a high priced backup vet on the bench chewing up cap space.  I mean some people think the better vets, who will have plenty of suitors, are just gonna do the Bills a favor and come to this bad weather team and play 1 year, or maybe part or not at all if the rookie comes on fast.  The guys people want are guys who can start in this league.  

Better to have someone like TT, who will be cheaper this year too, come off the books in 2019 and go out sign a cheap backup contract at that point and have the extra cap space. moving forward.

Not to mention, he knows the team and players, is the hardest working guy on the team, respected in the locker room as a player and leader, has a winning record for Bills despite 2 HC's and 3 OC's, and just led the Bills to the playoffs for first time in 17 years.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Tomcat said:

I just can see that a 4th round pick is worth $6 million? 

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing?  I just dont see it...

UNLESS.....they are sending a message to get him traded before FA starts and that their open for business?

Enlighten me people...

It's all about the cap.  A few million is nothing to these owners who are raking in the big bucks.  If the Bills can do everything they want to do with the cap space they'll have after trading Tyrod, they'll do it if they think it makes the team better.

These sorts of negotiations and trade values always amaze me.  There isn't a Front Office in the entire League that hasn't seen Tyrod play.  They all know what he can do.  There are no lingering injury issues, or question marks based on a lack of film. If the Bills don't want him, why would any other team?

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yup!  

He is the BEST choice for a Bridge QB.  He has 1 year left on his deal, so he clears the way next year no matter what for the rookie to take over (if he had not already).  Signing a quality temp vet here is going to take at least a 2 year deal, if not more, at a higher cost than TT.  So that means once the Rookie takes over this year or beginning of next, we will have a high priced backup vet on the bench chewing up cap space.  I mean some people think the better vets, who will have plenty of suitors, are just gonna do the Bills a favor and come to this bad weather team and play 1 year, or maybe part or not at all if the rookie comes on fast.  The guys people want are guys who can start in this league.  

Better to have someone like TT, who will be cheaper this year too, come off the books in 2019 and go out sign a cheap backup contract at that point and have the extra cap space. moving forward.

Not to mention, he knows the team and players, is the hardest working guy on the team, respected in the locker room as a player and leader, has a winning record for Bills despite 2 HC's and 3 OC's, and just led the Bills to the playoffs for first time in 17 years.  

I agree with your post and would emphasize a couple of points:  Tyrod is VERY well respected by the team and is an acknowledged leader. We ARE going to lose Eric Wood and may well lose ZO and KYLE. I don't think we want to lose most of this teams leaders who seemed very important to our locker room last year. I would hate for us to trade away are high picks that we need to build our lineup with players who won't break the bank [ Salary cap] for the next 4 years. While Tyrod isn't going to take us to a Super Bowl, I believe if our QBs were surrounded by a better crop of players and an OC who would build an offense around our strengths, and using the draft and free agency to build a defense that doesn't give up a ton of points, then we could have time to develope whatever rookie QB that falls to us at 21 or Peterman. [ who I STILL have confidence in]. I'll always wonder what would have happened in the famous 5 interception game, if Demarco had caught that perfectly thrown pass and we'd gone in to score instead of handing it to an LA linebacker for a TD. At least 2 other ints were caused by a complete breakdown of pass protection.

• Like (+1) 1

The mistake some people make is that they assume Tyrod has value on the market. He doesn't. The obvious reason is that he is a known quantity. He and his agent last year had an opportunity to survey the market and make the best deal they could for themselves. Who was interested? No one. The GM who lost his authority simply wanted to cut him and be done with him. The incoming HC, and essentially acting GM, was willing to keep him on the condition that he scale down his contract. He did. 

What's the point of going through any year of mediocrity? Although his contract isn't onerous for a  starter it is poor value for his standard output. I would rather bring in a qb such as Simian as either a short term starter or as a backup to a rookie starter. The cost for Simian would  not only be a lot less but it also would give this team more cap flexibility. Keeping Tyrod another year is another year of not facing the inevitable fact about him i.e. that he is not good enough. It's time to move on and end this lingering issue. It's just time to make a decision that needs to be made sooner rather than later. 

So, Taylor is so bad that the majority of fans here (and some commentators as well apparently) think that just about any of the has been or never were veteran FA QBs available not named Brees, Cousins or  Bradford will be better, but then in the next breath they expect other teams will fall all over themselves to trade for him.  That's really stupid, dudes.  If Taylor were as useless as the denziens of TBD believe, no team will trade for him -- and if teams are willing to trade for him, maybe the Bills ought to consider keeping him until they at least have 1 QB on the roster better than Nathan Peterman, and preferably 2.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, JohnC said:

Even if you get your top tier qb prospect you still need to bring in a veteran qb. Whether it is as a backup or a short term starter I would think you still need a veteran qb on the roster. It would be simply be too risky to have Peterman be your first backup qb. The advantage of having a qb like Siemien is that he has some experience and he would be cheap. 

Bills went with it last year with Peteredman as first backup QB and cannot see them changing that philosophy unless they can find someone better to throw balls to DBs.

3 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

I have a solution for the Bills and Denver. Trade Taylor for both Simian, and Chad Kelly. 

We have heard nothing about Chad Kelly recently and Denver appears to be in the market for a QB.

5 minutes ago, JPP said:

Simien is no better maybe worse and Kelly is completely unproven.......

Siemian is far worse and Kelly is a non-entity with character concerns.  If Kelly were any kind of prospect, he'd be in the future plans for Denver and he simply isn't.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

On 2/23/2018 at 9:59 AM, The Tomcat said:

I just can see that a 4th round pick is worth $6 million? 

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing?  I just dont see it...

UNLESS.....they are sending a message to get him traded before FA starts and that their open for business?

Enlighten me people...

It’s a ONE year 6 mill cap hit to acquire a possible starter making nickels for 4 years.  We also don’t have a capable starter on the team, other than TT.  I’m not a TT fan boy, but I’d rather have TT for 1 season than case keenum  at 20mill for the next 3-4 years.  Bradford, broken.  teddy, meh.  cousins.... 30+mill a year?  Not sure why you need to be enlightened.  It’s tough to move on from a somewhat capable starter on a 1 year relatively cheap contract when you have no one to replace him.  IF we sign a FA in the first couple days of FA, he’ll be cut.  But as of the time this was reported (keeping TT) we have no replacement and we have no way to acquire a replacement.  Just chill.  Keeping our options open is the best decision imo.  Cutting him now makes zero sense.

On 2/23/2018 at 12:08 PM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I agree with those who say Arizona, but also think they might be hesitant to part with one of their only 5 draft picks this year. 

7 picks now

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Siemian is far worse and Kelly is a non-entity with character concerns.  If Kelly was any kind of prospect, he'd be in the future plans for Denver and he simply isn't.

Agreed just didnt comprehend why that poster would suggest replacing Taylor with those 2 options (well unless tanking on a grand scale is the only option by that suggestion).....there are much better scenarios if there going to be named IMO......

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Siemian is far worse and Kelly is a non-entity with character concerns.  If Kelly was any kind of prospect, he'd be in the future plans for Denver and he simply isn't.

Kelly has been working with an NFL  QB in California for awhile so i think if he does what his uncle told him to do.... Shut up and listen, there may be promise for him. Simian is about equal to Taylor.