Fairburn: 5 Teams that Should Consider Trading for Tyrod Taylor

26CornerBlitz

5 teams that should consider trading for Buffalo Bills QB Tyrod Taylor

Orchard Park, N.Y. - - The Buffalo Bills are reportedly trying to trade quarterback Tyrod Taylor, but is what team would take a chance on Taylor’s contract? 

For the second straight offseason, Taylor’s situation is a bit complicated. He is due a $6 million roster bonus on March 16. The Bills would save $10.4 million in cap space if they trade Taylor before March 16 and $9.4 million they release him before March 16.

If the Bills decide to pay that bonus, Taylor would become much easier to trade. A team trying to trade for Taylor would be inheriting a one-year, $10 million deal and would probably only need to give up a mid or late-round pick.

Eating that money would be tough for the Bills, but they would essentially be paying $6 million for whatever compensation they could get for Taylor. Which teams would be interested? Here are a few who should be interested in Taylor.

Arizona Cardinals
Minnesota Vikings
Jacksonville Jaguars
Cleveland Browns
Denver Broncos

I just can see that a 4th round pick is worth $6 million? 

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing?  I just dont see it...

UNLESS.....they are sending a message to get him traded before FA starts and that their open for business?

Enlighten me people...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Tomcat said:

UNLESS.....they are sending a message to get him traded before FA starts and that their open for business?

Enlighten me people...

Maybe (and this is a big maybe TC, and pure fantasy speculation)

Tyrod, Glenn, 21 and our second rounder and maybe something in 2019 for 4.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Tomcat said:

Enlighten me people...

Because you have no idea how draft is gonna unfold and will have to pay any other decent Bridge QB option more than that. 

2 minutes ago, The Tomcat said:

Enlighten me people...

The bigger concern isn't the money as it is who will be the veteran qb who replaces Taylor? Even if the Bills are able to trade up for a top three qb prospect, and make no mistake that is very much in doubt, then who replaces Taylor? Another issue is how much is another veteran going to cost? There are so many layers to this issue. It's not only what you want to do but also what you are able to do. I'm not a Taylor fan and will never be. Given my position this is not an easy call for the organization. 

One option I would consider (and rile up a lot of people) is acquire Siemien and then either cut or trade Tyrod. In that way you have a player with some experience and have him at a very cheap price.  There is an assumption that you will draft a high end qb prospect who in the not too distant future will be ready to play. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The bigger concern isn't the money as it is who will be the veteran qb who replaces Taylor? Even if the Bills are able to trade up for a top three qb prospect, and make no mistake that is very much in doubt, then who replaces Taylor? Another issue is how much is another veteran going to cost? There are so many layers to this issue. It's not only what you want to do but also what you are able to do. I'm not a Taylor fan and will never be. Given my position this is not an easy call for the organization. 

One option I would consider (and rile up a lot of people) is acquire Siemien and then either cut or trade Tyrod. In that way you have a player with some experience and have him at a very cheap price.  There is an assumption that you will draft a high end qb prospect who in the not too distant future will be ready to play. 

I may be alone in this thinking, but if the Bills trade up in the draft to "get their guy" and Tyrod is gone, then there you have your starter.  Historically, it is few and far between that teams pick a QB even looking at the top-10 and then leave them sit on the bench.  It's even less common for a team to swap their starting quarterback for a free agent or another player in a trade and then draft another QB early.  

1 minute ago, Hurricane said:

I am going to say Baltimore..

Hard to imagine them paying Tyrod's salary on top of what they're already paying Flacco. They can move on from Flacco in a year when Tyrod will be a free agent if they want to. I think Baltimore is far more likely to draft a QB than to trade for one like Tyrod.

22 minutes ago, The Tomcat said:

Enlighten me people...

In this hypothetical scenario, they aren't paying $6 million just for a mid-round pick. They're paying $6 million so that they don't get stuck with Nathan Peterman and a meh prospect as their only QB options.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Luxy312 said:

I may be alone in this thinking, but if the Bills trade up in the draft to "get their guy" and Tyrod is gone, then there you have your starter.  Historically, it is few and far between that teams pick a QB even looking at the top-10 and then leave them sit on the bench.  It's even less common for a team to swap their starting quarterback for a free agent or another player in a trade and then draft another QB early.  

Even if you get your top tier qb prospect you still need to bring in a veteran qb. Whether it is as a backup or a short term starter I would think you still need a veteran qb on the roster. It would be simply be too risky to have Peterman be your fist backup qb. The advantage of having a qb like Siemien is that he has some experience and he would be cheap. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Exactly.  No decent free agent is coming here when the Bills are obviously interested in a 1st round QB without getting a crazy contract like Glennon.  As much as most of want an upgrade over Taylor, the guy is respected in the locker room and under contract for another year at a reasonable number. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can not see the Jags wanting Tyrod after seeing first hand what he did in the playoffs, I think they will stay with Bortles and that is for sure the better option IMO. The other teams maybe and that's a BIG maybe. I think this is OBD telling teams look man we will pay the bonus give us a pick for it or help us move up in a pavkage deal. If no bites before it is due they just dont pay it and dump him to let teams just fight over his rights and said teams end up paying even more for him in FA if Tyrod would even pick said team. It costs us 6mill to get a pick but also helps make it happen, just gets me mad if they pay it and get stuck with him for 2018 season just to add to 2019 dead cap hit he is no mentor that is for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Exactly.  No decent free agent is coming here when the Bills are obviously interested in a 1st round QB without getting a crazy contract like Glennon.  As much as most of want an upgrade over Taylor, the guy is respected in the locker room and under contract for another year at a reasonable number. 

To this point, I could see the Bills sitting tight at 21 and seeing what happens.  Given the guys that should be out there and available and the fact that there's 6 QB's projected to be potential first round value, I can't fathom 6 QB's being picked with the first 20 picks.  It could happen, but would be the first time in NFL history.

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

I could see Denver, Arizona if they miss out on the Captain Kirk sweepstakes.

He'd be a relatively cheap and decent veteran alternative for any of the teams that miss out on Cousins that would allow them time to develop a prospect. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, The Tomcat said:

Enlighten me people...

I don't think the Bills are looking for a 4th round pick or counting a 4th round pick as worth $6M

I think they are looking at it several ways:

1) Insurance for them against having to negotiate from a position of QB-lessness in FA/draft.  They aren't under the gun to land someone in 2 days.

2) Tyrod's trade value will be higher after the smoke clears from the first round of QB FA and some teams get left out, and after the combine clarifies the draft board for teams.

They might even pull an Eagles and see if injuries make a team desperate for a fill-in QB who can break even on wins

3) What if they aren't trying to get a late-round pick, but are trying to swap up in the 1st?  Maybe they could nibble their way up before the draft.  Perhaps (say) Arizona misses out on their top FA guy, and thinks the draft QB they favor will be there at the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd.  If they like Tyrod as a bridge QB, perhaps it would be in their interest to take Tyrod and a 3rd or 4th round pick to swap #15 for #21

• Like (+1) 4

someone will want him.  not because he's good but because he's cheap.  $10 mil for a starting QB or even a very good backup is cheap.  someone like Keenum is going to want double that and he's not much better.  if you are the Browns for instance and you draft a top QB it would make sense to have a bridge QB like Tyrod who is cheap and can start for you in the meantime.  same goes for the Cardinals, especially if they draft Lamar Jackson who has a similar skill set and would run the same type of offnense

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think the Bills are looking for a 4th round pick or counting a 4th round pick as worth $6M

I think they are looking at it several ways:

1) Insurance for them against having to negotiate from a position of QB-lessness in FA/draft.  They aren't under the gun to land someone in 2 days.

2) Tyrod's trade value will be higher after the smoke clears from the first round of QB FA and some teams get left out, and after the combine clarifies the draft board for teams.

They might even pull an Eagles and see if injuries make a team desperate for a fill-in QB who can break even on wins

3) What if they aren't trying to get a late-round pick, but are trying to swap up in the 1st?  Maybe they could nibble their way up before the draft.  Perhaps (say) Arizona misses out on their top FA guy, and thinks the draft QB they favor will be there at the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd.  If they like Tyrod as a bridge QB, perhaps it would be in their interest to take Tyrod and a 3rd or 4th round pick to swap #15 for #21

I like the thought process, but would add one observation.  Any team that takes Taylor will have to be comfortable with a guy that is not going to win them games.  He won't lose games, but he's not going to win them either.  Candidate teams would have to have a top ten defense next year to be able to justify him as their starter.