Simple question?????

njbuff

If Tyrod is your QB you have to force 2-3 turnovers and play mistake free football on offense to win most games. It worked 9 times last season, but let's be honest... There is always luck involved with turnovers. You make an amazing play to force a fumble, but actually recovering it is as much luck as anything else, depending on who is nearby when the ball squirts out.

For once, everything went their way last season. I just hope they aren't blinded by some "Tyrod led us to the playoffs" nonsense. He didn't "lead" them anywhere. In fact, they did everything they could to minimize his impact on the game. The offense was about running the ball, setting up a nice punt, pinning the other team deep, forcing a turnover on defense, and getting a FG out of it.

They have to want better... But until I see otherwise I will assume they are going to do what they did last year: let him test the market, force him to take a paycut, then put out a bunch of social media posts saying WE HAVE OUR QB! with Tyrod all geared up and ready to hand off for the 2018 season.

Then, inevitably, they will bench the guy midseason when he does exactly what he always does. The best thing they could do for Tyrod would be cut him so he can cash in for the most money possible early in free agency. Nobody is giving anything for him in a trade, because most teams expect him to be cut eventually.

Edited by TheFunPolice

4 minutes ago, drf1835 said:

If the top Bills personnel have a set plan "right now" regarding who to exactly sign or get in the draft then I will take their credentials away

I disagree with this because I think that the Bills need to have a firm plan on how they want to move forward, because without it, they can't set priorities.  It shouldn't be a detailed plan with specifics but they definitely need an outline to guide them from step 1 to step 7 or 10 or whatever.  The first few steps are detailed and specific and the later steps are naturally more fluid, but the plan needs to be "set" enough so that the Bills don't waste resources pursuing tangents.

They need to have decided already on who among their own FAs they are going to re-sign and who they are going to let walk.  They also need to have decided who they want to release and who they want to try to trade as well as what compensation they want.  They need to have decided how they are going to proceed in FA: pursue a few big names or look for affordable but promising FAs coming off their rookie contracts (like Poyer). 

The Bills also need to have a good idea about which positions they want to fill with FAs and which they want to fill through the draft. By now, the FA list should be specific with names and ranks for each position. That's based on the available FA pool, who might join it, and what their scouts tell them about the quality and quantity of positions they need to fill in the draft.  The Bills should also have a list of draft prospects they wish to interview at the Combine next week.

Successful organizations don't happen haphazardly.  One of the reasons for the drought was that the Bills were run without solid planning for a couple of decades.   In NE, they draft an OLer in the first or second round every few years so that as their starters leave, they have a youngster ready to step in.  When Pro Bowler Matt Light retired, Nate Solder stepped in.  The Bills haven't ever done that since Bill Polian left.  Instead the Bills cut Pro Bowl guard Ruben Brown in 2004 and didn't replace him with an NFL caliber guard until 2009 (Andy Levitre).  After trading Jason Peters to Philly (and getting fleeced) in 2009, the Bills didn't add a quality LT until 2012.

Having a plan doesn't mean that the team doesn't ever deviate from it when circumstances require.  A set plan is a roadmap of how to get to be a team that wins regularly, and hopefully, a lot.  Yeah, there's detours and occasionally roadblocks, but without an idea of where you want to go and how to get there, you just spin your wheels in the mud.  I'm hopeful that the Bills have at least gotten themselves a roadmap.

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

Do you think the Bills have their minds set on a QB or do they have many options in their minds?

I think they pretty much have their minds made up on their guy and are using the combine to confirm it. I have no idea who their guy is though.

Thoughts????

Simple question, maybe.  Simple answer, no!  You can't have your mind on one position going into the draft.  They can put players high on their board for a certain position, but if they are not available when picking, you don't reach just to fill that position.  So to answer your simple question, they have many option "on their minds", and maybe they'll even think outside the box to fill some of those....

Edited by ricojes

We don't know what the Bills plan is right now for the Quarterback situation.  I thought for certain that they would get rid of Tyrod prior to the deadline and only take a cap hit of about $2.4m.  In hindsight, my initial thoughts were a gut reaction to the 3 years we've gotten of a guy that's terrified of throwing to anyone that isn't wide open and waiving an arm in the air for the ball.  With that said, I think that the Bills could be doing a couple of different things.

1. Are they holding onto Tyrod in the event that they're not able to get the QB that they want in the draft (assumes they would try to move up)?
  2. Are they holding onto Tyrod with the plan to stay where they are, in the event that multiple guys they would consider at 21/22 wouldn't be available?
  3. Are they holding onto Tyrod as potential trade bait to a team that doesn't get their guy in free agency that also doesn't have interest in drafting anyone?
  4. Are they simply going to go into next year with Tyrod as the starter and Peterman as the backup?

Whatever they are actually thinking or doing will play itself out as free agency settles.  But for Washington's play with Alex Smith, teams are holding their proverbial cards tight to the vest, and will continue to do so until we get through the combine and into free agency on March 14th.  We essentially have 3 more glorious weeks to speculate.

Shouldn't a simple question only have one question mark?

I am sure they have a dream scenario of the one guy they want and will do whatever they can, without sacrificing the entire draft, to get him. I also believe they have contingency plans in place should that one option prove to be too costly.

I think they will target 1 or 2 Qbs early in Fa and try to avoid paying Taylors bonus.  if that does not come to fruition I expect Taylor to be on the team barring a trade for a veteran Qb.  No Fa signing or trade Buffalo than moves up for a Qb.  Depending what happens in March will better paint the picture for the draft.  IMO there is really only 4 options that results in Taylor not being on the roster.  Signing Cousins or Bradford, and trading for Luck or Foles.  Outside of that Taylor is on the roster.  Imo there is only 3 options that does not involve Buffalo trading up during the draft to get a Qb and that is signing Cousins or making either trade listed above.  I see a plan on how to attack the position but they need to keep the focus improving he position not just an anybody but Taylor mentality.

Edited by Mat68

43 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Because you put 4 question marks at the end of your statement (it wasn't really a question), I think it's not really that simple any more. You've overly complicated the issue by using so many question marks. 

Plus the title sucks as well, surprised the mods aren't all over this...

I believe that the Bills have many options in mind, because, what happens throughout free agency, and the first few pick of the draft, are all up in the air at this point. They probably have a set price in mind for the QB's that are available in free agency. They also have a set price in mind, for how much draft capital they are willing to pay to move up to get one of the Top 4 QBs, vs. how far they fall. The bills would love to have a plan, but there are so many other factors that have to play out in the next 8 weeks, that are almost out of their control.

I'm hoping they get rid of Tyrod via trade, there has to be a better option than more of the same.  Peterman didn't look that bad to me.  A lot if his int's weren't entirely his fault.  At least he is willing to throw to guys that aren't wide open.  The one play vs Jags that ended the game, their guy made an incredible play to get that deflected ball.  I say draft a QB and let him and Peterman battle it out for starter. 

There are no simple questions. There are only simple people.  Wait, I think I got that wrong! 

I honestly have zero idea what their plan is (which is a good thing), but I really can’t wait to see how it turns out! It’s the most excited I’ve been in the offseason in years. PLEASE nail this offseason!