Simple question?????

njbuff

Do you think the Bills have their minds set on a QB or do they have many options in their minds?

I think they pretty much have their minds made up on their guy and are using the combine to confirm it. I have no idea who their guy is though.

Thoughts????

My guess is they have their sights set on Rosen, Darnold, or Allen. I'm guessing Rosen. I think all of the rumors coming out could mean something. Usually it's the pre combine rumors that are closest to the truth. The next few months is all smokescreen stuff. I think draft boards and plans are pretty much set in motion at this point. I think the interviews are the most important part of the draft combine for most part. 

If they know they can land Rosen I could see them going with a crappy vet like Chad Henne or Matt Moore to be there in case they need someone to start the first four games. If we see them sign a younger guy like Bridegewater or McCarron, I think they pass on drafting a guy high. If they trade for Nick Foles, he also become the guy.  I could also see Sam Bradford as a possibility and he would likely become the guy as well. 

I am sure that they have a draft board with their QBs ranked. As well as a free agent board/list with numerous potential QB targets on it. 

Which one of those QBs is plan A, I have no idea...

But seeing as we really haven't heard anything about the Bills going after Cousins, or any other free agent QB, and we've heard a lot about them trying to move up in the draft, I would guess that plan A is the draft.

We will find out pretty soon now. Definitely excited to see what they do! 

I'm sure there were many scenarios laid out at the beginning of the season what direction they wanted to go for a QB, now will that QB sign here? For how much? Is it too much? If so next guy on the list. Same with the rookies, I'm sure Buffalo has contacted every GM at the top so if their guy falls, what will be the price to go up and get him imo.

Plan A is move up in the draft and they have a guy in mind. 

The decision they have to make before FA starts is how likely is a team to trade back in a spot where "their guy" is available because as others have said the vet on the roster by the end of that initial FA period will tell us something. 

Interesting the Tyrod news yesterday. The Bills are essentially willing to take a cap hit to get a pick for him. So they will pay the $6m option and someone else will then trade a mid to late round pick (4th maybe) for Tyrod and pay the $10m salary. 

If the top Bills personnel have a set plan "right now" regarding who to exactly sign or get in the draft then I will take their credentials away because:

(1) Nothing ever goes exactly as planned, as unexpected surprises pop up, and unexpected roadblocks occur, sometimes making that strong desire unrealistic or unattainable, and another option better.

(2) A smart gm always leaves all options on the table until just moments before the trigger needs to be pulled, as patience could lead to a better prize or decision.

(3) I feel those who are rigid and say, "We will always take the top player off our board, i.e.the best player available, regardless of our immediate need" are dopes as it could affect winning now, and as too much turnover occurs each year. However, those who say now "We will pick the player that fits the biggest need, could be sometimes wrong, too,  as that position player could be a reach if many better players at that position were already selected. Also, I think it is too early to know exactly what to do, as the draft is two months away and more is to be learned prior to that, about those prospects and the current state of the team. Sometimes doing the opposite of the traditional draft plan could really be best. Be open minded!

(4) The early bird often gets the turd, not the worm, or overpays for such as the other gm thinks they are desperate

(5) As there is no guarantee of success for any of the top five qb prospects, and as the top one or two free agent quarterbacks would seem to go to the highest bidder, which likely could not be us, the gm should be open minded to thinking outside the box, and considering other approaches as things unfold. There is not only one right answer to get headed in the right direction. Sometimes, it is the second, third, fourth or fifth plan that will be best, as sometimes emotion clouds judgement, or as more creative thinking occurs the more deeper one thinks.

(6) If Beane and McDermott want to try something gutsy, as they have before, I am all for that, but do it only after doing all your homework, and waiting until the best possible time, whether sooner or later. If they want a safe choice, that is ok too. Both options have worked for others in the past, or backfired. Do not let the media or fans dictate what to do, as it is your decisions that will determine your fate. Listening to them is smart, but it is smarter then to give that its proper weight.

(7) The only general plan the gm, coach and Bills player personnel staff should be doing right now is a smoke and mirrors campaign, and contacting numerous other gms to see any preliminary interest in moving up or down, or with regards to a trade, and let them know you'd listen to them in the future, too,, and asking what they would want in return for such. Then once the time is right, and after more round the clock discussions, consider the best three to five offers, and try to finalize that best before other suitors jump in, or before time runs out. 

These are all just my opinions, but I am confident Bean and McDermott already know what to do, with their own other or similar plans.  After all, at least they got us to the playoffs in year one, are making friends and positive connections, with many in the league, are willing to go against the grain, but be smart at the same time, too. Their philosophy of wanting to win both now, and to build for the future, was the right answer. Whether that keeps happening, we will see. The next few months of transactions and acquisitions should reflect that. 

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

Do you think the Bills have their minds set on a QB or do they have many options in their minds?

I think they pretty much have their minds made up on their guy and are using the combine to confirm it. I have no idea who their guy is though.

Thoughts????

I think that they have already identified the QB that they want from this draft. I think it is just one player that they really like. If I had to guess I would say Rosen or Donald. I don't get the feeling that they are going to enter a bidding war for Cousins. Unfortunately for Bills fans I think there is just 1 QB the Bills want to draft. If they don't get their guy I fear we are stuck with Taylor for another year, which would be a huge mistake.