Steve Tasker's Outside-The-Box Idea To Solve The Bills QB Situation

BuffaloRush

12 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Disagree with your thoughts on Tasker.  As far as his work on CBS - he's average.  Certainly not one of the best but he does ok.   I used to think he purposefully tried to make it look like he was impartial by talking up whatever team the Bills were playing.

On the John Murphy show - he is hands down better than Donald Jones.  He makes the show sound more professional.  His insight is good too - I think you are underestiming #89 here.

As far as his idea - you can easily make an argument for or against it.  I give him credit for approaching the situation differently than others

I agree with this.   Steve's not a great announcer by any means, but I never thought Jones was very good at all, so he's an upgrade.   Not that I listen all that much.  

As for his idea, I think it's a perfectly good idea but simply isn't very important.   The answer to the Bills' QB question is NOT (1) a veteran backup, (2) a bridge QB or (3) a QB coach.   All Tasker has done is suggested that there's one guy out there who has the potential to fill all three roles.   That's fine, so far as it goes, but it isn't going to change the face or character of the team.   You could just as easily said that about hiring Jim Leonard as a backup safety a couple of years ago, suggesting he could teach youngsters and then maybe retire into a coaching role.   You could have said it, and someone probably did, about Frank Reich at the end of his career.  

Nothing wrong with the idea, but it it's a detail.  It isn't team-changing.  

1 hour ago, BBills88 said:

I agree that I would like to see more Peterman. Before his concussion in the Snow game he was playing pretty good. I don't why that is being dismissed.

He played well...in a blizzard where he wasn't asked to pass much. K.

So all it takes for Peterman to play good is an act of God. 

Honestly I'm not one to want to dismiss that he may be a player "someday". But to want to see more of him now is just insane. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BBills88 said:

I agree that I would like to see more Peterman. Before his concussion in the Snow game he was playing pretty good. I don't why that is being dismissed.

that's what the whole mccown thing is /was about. he certainly has the accolades as to becoming a qb coach.

the point of having him is that we are gonna start a young qb whether it be nate or a rookie and be insurance as well as a coach.

i myself think peterman in his sophmore year can make the same kind of stride that goff and wentz made. the kid could actually be good and one thing is 100% for sure is that our passing game will greatly improve and we will score more points....and our draft pick will also benefit from his presence.

tasker's take is not stupid. they may just in fact be determined to hang on to their picks and take rudolph or maybe mike white.

who knows, maybe they will land baker, but i think they are intent on bolstering the roster first and foremost.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

He played well...in a blizzard where he wasn't asked to pass much. K.

So all it takes for Peterman to play good is an act of God. 

Honestly I'm not one to want to dismiss that he may be a player "someday". But to want to see more of him now is just insane. 

Eh.

If by seeing more of him now means preseason? Great go for it.

I think seeing more of him on preseason would be good.

I'm also not blind.

There is an abundance of QB options this year, some better than others.

In no way should we just cut Tyrod and hand the keys to Peterman.

Nope.

No.

So I'm with you kelsay, to think he's the answer is absurd, and handing Peterman the future right now is an even bigger risk than going full ditka for Josh Allen.

We don't agree on much, but this one we definitely are on board together.

Say no to Nate.

• Like (+1) 1

If the plan is to go into the season with Peterman and a vet of McCown's caliber, I'm going to be very concerned with the decision making at OBD.  Drafting a player high doesn't mean Peterman needs to be immediately cut, but he's shown nothing to say more competition / a better young prospect is not a high priority.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

that's what the whole mccown thing is /was about. he certainly has the accolades as to becoming a qb coach.

the point of having him is that we are gonna start a young qb whether it be nate or a rookie and be insurance as well as a coach.

i myself think peterman in his sophmore year can make the same kind of stride that goff and wentz made. the kid could actually be good and one thing is 100% for sure is that our passing game will greatly improve and we will score more points....and our draft pick will also benefit from his presence.

tasker's take is not stupid. they may just in fact be determined to hang on to their picks and take rudolph or maybe mike white.

who knows, maybe they will land baker, but i think they are intent on bolstering the roster first and foremost.

On what basis??

Wentz and Goff we're blue Chip prospects, Nate was a dumpster dive in the 5th, hoping somebody threw out a winning scratch off (they didn't)

What basis will our passing game be greatly improved with him??

(PS. I hate Tyrod. I was all for benching him for Nate. I was way wrong.)

• Like (+1) 1

He just doesn't possess the physical talent of either Wentz or Goff.  If this were remotely close to being within the realm of possibility, Beane and the scouting staff would not have invested so much time on the road looking at QBs who will be in the 2018 draft when instead they'd be focused on building up the supporting cast in anticipation of Peterman developing just as both the Eagles and Rams did for the 2017 season.  You are in dream land. 

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He just doesn't possess the physical talent of either Wentz or Goff.  If this were remotely close to being within the realm of possibility, Beane and the scouting staff would not have invested so much time on the road looking at QBs who will be in the 2018 draft when instead they'd be focused on building up the supporting cast in anticipation of Peterman developing just as both the Eagles and Rams did for the 2017 season.  You are in dream land. 

It's asinine to compare Peterman to those guys.

11 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

On what basis??

Wentz and Goff we're blue Chip prospects, Nate was a dumpster dive in the 5th, hoping somebody threw out a winning scratch off (they didn't)

What basis will our passing game be greatly improved with him??

(PS. I hate Tyrod. I was all for benching him for Nate. I was way wrong.)

i watch the last few minutes of the saints game and in my opinion i think it's possible that could be his type of play on a weekly basis. he couldn't have possibly been put in worse situations so i prefer to look at his quick decision making and release, his accuracy and ball placement. i think a lot of people will be surprised in camp and pre season.

do i want foles, mccarron  mayfield...yes i do, but who knows what they are thinking.

Edited by billsredneck1

9 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i watch the last few minutes of the saints game and in my opinion i think it's possible that could be his type of play on a weekly basis. he couldn't have possibly been put in worse situations so i prefer to look at his quick decision making and release, his accuracy and ball placement. i think a lot of people will be surprised in camp and pre season.

do i want foles, mccarron  mayfield...yes i do, but who knows what they are thinking.

Peterman comes in to play with the Bills down 47-3 against a backup defense and you're actually using his performance in that scenario as the basis for optimism while failing to mention the very next week against the Chargers.  Wow!  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

i watch the last few minutes of the saints game and in my opinion i think it's possible that could be his type of play on a weekly basis. he couldn't have possibly been put in worse situations so prefer to look at his quick decision making and release, his accuracy and ball placement. i think a lot of people will be surprised in camp and pre season.

Let's turn the keys over this season to a guy who had one good drive against the saints in garbage time against their third stringers when we were down by like 80points...

Oh wait we gave him the keys the next game, and he proceeded to have the WORST HALF OF QUARTERBACK PLAY IN NFL HISTORY.

I want Tyrod gone.

I was in favor of giving Nate a shot against the chargers.

That was a mistake.

Sure, he might turn things around, right?

I might get a date with Emmy Rossum if I ask nice enough too, right?

If I go down to the local Ram dealer they might give me a free 1500 rebel because I have a nice smile too, right?

I'm not giving up on him.

I'm saying that skipping on a QB in the draft, signing McCown, and praying that Nate turns into a miracle is just plain awful as a plan.

If we finish this off-season with Nate and Tyrod/McCown as our QBs, the front office should not only be fired, but banned from the NFL.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Peterman comes in to play with the Bills down 47-3 against a backup defense and you actually using his performance in that scenario as the basis for optimism while failing to mention the very next week against the Chargers.  Wow!  

I just said the same thing.

We agree 26!! 

Maybe miracles do happen!?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Peterman comes in to play with the Bills down 47-3 against a backup defense and you're actually using his performance in that scenario as the basis for optimism while failing to mention the very next week against the Chargers.  Wow!  

i knew this was coming. you guys are going to have to get used to the idea that tyrod will be gone and peterman will be here next season. i comment on what i see in possibilities with nathan.....kind of looking at what we have instead of making comments about the past.

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

i knew this was coming. you guys are going to have to get used to the idea that tyrod will be gone and peterman will be here next season. i comment on what i see in possibilities with nathan.....kind of looking at what we have instead of making comments about the past.

This is immaterial to any analysis of Peterman.  You should stop trying to use this as a deflection.  Peterman has virtually shown nothing to make anyone optimistic about his future as the next starting QB of the Bills. 

Has McCown been mentoring Hackenberg?

I hate all this 'mentoring' crap that people pull out of their tail.

Spend some money & hire a frigging coach that can actually coach.

Don't hire a former player that is a supposed 'pied piper' but has no idea how to coach.

• Like (+1) 1

Mccown is and always has been a journey man QB which means he has been behind some great QBs in the past. He has had some success in the past and has been in so long that I'm sure he could mentor a young QB on being pro and not just on the field play but preparation. Any rookie would love to have a guy sitting next to them helping and really investing in them instead of competing and trying to steal their job. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He was 5-10 for 57 yards in the snow against a terrible pass defense full of backups.  That really impressed you?

It's not the stats that impress me. He was accurate that number could have easily 7/8 of 10 not for a few drops. I would like to see him get a fair shot at the QB position when earned.