Steve Tasker's Outside-The-Box Idea To Solve The Bills QB Situation

BuffaloRush

267x267_Steve%20Tasker.gif

Listening to the John Murphy Show today and #89 is in the studio for Donald Jones.  IMO he did a far superior job providing analysis and has a very good rapport with Murphy.  I'd love it is Tasker could be a permanent fixture but I'm sure the job doesn't pay enough and I think Steve has job duties for CBS toward the end of the week.

Tasker starts of the show with an idea that I thought was ridiculous at first but as he explained it - it made a lot of sense.  He talks about how the Bills probably will move on from Tyrod and need to look for a replacement.  He suggested Trevor Simian and said "has done some nice things in the NFL and is surprise guy" to which Murphy audibly groaned LOL....but then he starts talking about Josh McCown and says that McCown has stated many times that he wants to go into coaching.  So given this information his solution is this:

Sign McCown to a medium QB contract (1-3 years for around $10M per year) as a backup with incentives so if he starts, he'll be compensated as a starting QB.  But he will be brought in as a backup and the Bills will play their young QB - whether it's Nate Peterman or a rookie QB they end up drafting (if they go that route).

But McCown's deal is also incentivized for him to be a mentor/tutor to the young QB - essentially and active player/QB Coach.  If the young QB plays well - McCown makes more money from his backup.  He'd get paid when the QB he is mentoring plays well.  Then if things go well for the QB protege - the coaching staff offers McCown a spot as a coach on the staff which would allow him the opportunity to bypass some of the bottom level positions needed to get a start in coaching.

It's an interesting idea - because McCown would actually have an incentive to coach up a young QB.  If he does that - he gets paid.  If things go bad with the QB, he gets an opportunity to start and will be paid as a starter.   Plus he has a spot on the staff as coach, which essentially guarantees he won't do something stupid like sabotage the rookie.  It's an idea that makes a lot of sense.  

image.jpeg

He believe there are a number of QB's that would fit this position, mentioned Simiam again, but it sounds like McCown would be the best option. 

Hear it for yourself - starting at around the 8 minute mark:

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/02-22-john-murphy-show-hr-1  

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Listening to the John Murphy Show today and #89 is in the studio for Donald Jones.  IMO he did a far superior job providing analysis and has a very good rapport with Murphy.  I'd love it is Tasker could be a permanent fixture but I'm sure the job doesn't pay enough and I think Steve has job duties for CBS toward the end of the week.

Tasker starts of the show with an idea that I thought was ridiculous at first but as he explained it - it made a lot of sense.  He talks about how the Bills probably will move on from Tyrod and need to look for a replacement.  He suggested Trevor Simian and said "has done some nice things in the NFL and is surprise guy" to which Murphy audibly groaned LOL....but then he starts talking about Josh McCown and says that McCown has stated many times that he wants to go into coaching.  So given this information his solution is this:

Sign McCown to a medium QB contract (1-3 years for around $10M per year) as a backup with incentives so if he starts, he'll be compensated as a starting QB.  But he will be brought in as a backup and the Bills will play their young QB - whether it's Nate Peterman or a rookie QB they end up drafting (if they go that route).

But McCown's deal is also incentivized for him to be a mentor/tutor to the young QB - essentially and active player/QB Coach.  If the young QB plays well - McCown makes more money from his backup.  He'd get paid when the QB he is mentoring plays well.  Then if things go well for the QB protege - the coaching staff offers McCown a spot as a coach on the staff which would allow him the opportunity to bypass some of the bottom level positions needed to get a start in coaching.

It's an interesting idea - because McCown would actually have an incentive to coach up a young QB.  If he does that - he gets paid.  It's an idea that makes a lot of sense.  

He believe there are a number of QB's that would fit this position, mentioned Simiam again, but it sounds like McCown would be the best option. 

Hear it for yourself - starting at around the 8 minute mark:

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/02-22-john-murphy-show-hr-1  

Steve Tasker is a horrible analyst and this only makes it more apparent.   McCown has had a mostly horrid career and is injury prone. Peterman is barely an NFL prospect as backup.  Siemian?  :sick: 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Steve Tasker is a horrible analyst and this only makes it more apparent.   McCown has had a mostly horrid career and is injury prone. Peterman is barely an NFL prospect as backup.  Siemian?  :sick: 

So, you’re for it??? Don’t make us read the tea leaves!    :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Disagree with your thoughts on Tasker.  As far as his work on CBS - he's average.  Certainly not one of the best but he does ok.   I used to think he purposefully tried to make it look like he was impartial by talking up whatever team the Bills were playing.

On the John Murphy show - he is hands down better than Donald Jones.  He makes the show sound more professional.  His insight is good too - I think you are underestiming #89 here.

As far as his idea - you can easily make an argument for or against it.  I give him credit for approaching the situation differently than others

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sorry for the ambiguity. :lol:

Aaagh...horrible idea. We would be better off sticking with Tyrod than bringing in a QB who is on his last legs. Everyone fantasizes over the next great "savior". Sometimes it is better to be patient...Draft a good prospect to go with Peterman and let those two sit behind Tyrod to get some experience.

Edited by Overdue Bill
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Overdue Bill said:

Aaagh...horrible idea. We would be better off sticking with Tyrod than bringing in a QB who is on his last legs. Everyone fantasizes over the next great "savior". Sometimes it is better to be patient...Draft a good prospect to go with Peterman and let those two sit behind Tyrod to get some experience.

What constitutes a "good prospect?"  Are you talking trading up for one of the big 4 or 5?  Or taking a second-tier QB in rounds 2 and 3?

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Disagree with your thoughts on Tasker.  As far as his work on CBS - he's average.  Certainly not one of the best but he does ok.   I used to think he purposefully tried to make it look like he was impartial by talking up whatever team the Bills were playing.

On the John Murphy show - he is hands down better than Donald Jones.  He makes the show sound more professional.  His insight is good too - I think you are underestiming #89 here.

As far as his idea - you can easily make an argument for or against it.  I give him credit for approaching the situation differently than others

Tasker is on the CBS F team year after year for a reason.  He mostly babbles and makes obvious points while he talks in circles.  If that's your idea of professional, then have at it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Tasker is on the CBS F team year after year for a reason.  He mostly babbles and makes obvious points while he talks in circles.  If that's your idea of professional, then have at it. 

Right - He's not on the F team.  He's actually on their 3rd or 4th team and I believe they wanted him as a sideline reporter for the playoff games.  Regardless, I said his work at CBS is average and nothing amazing.  But he's not as bad as you make him out to be.

I'm guessing you don't listen to John Murphy Show.  If you did - you'd notice what an improvement he is from Donald Jones

22 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Right - He's not on the F team.  He's actually on their 3rd or 4th team and I believe they wanted him as a sideline reporter for the playoff games.  Regardless, I said his work at CBS is average and nothing amazing.  But he's not as bad as you make him out to be.

I'm guessing you don't listen to John Murphy Show.  If you did - you'd notice what an improvement he is from Donald Jones

That's a low bar to clear and doesn't mean much to me.  Tom McCarthy and Tasker are the G team.  Even worse. :lol:

Here is the complete least of announcer pairings:

1. Jim Nantz, Tony Romo and Tracy Wolfson
  2. Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts and Evan Washburn 
  3. Greg Gumbel, Trent Green and Jamie Erdahl 
  4. Kevin Harlan and Rich Gannon 
  5. Andrew Catalon and James Lofton 
  6. Spero Dedes and Adam Archuleta 
  7. Tom McCarthy and Steve Tasker and Steve Beuerlein 
  8. Beth Mowins and Jay Feely

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I enjoy Romo, occasionally listen to Collinsworth and generally manage to not hear the rest. 

I really like Romo - but Collinsworth is absolutely brutal for me.  He's one of the worst IMO.  It was on full display at the Super Bowl - I loved how he was beside himself that Pederson took chances on 4th down.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

I really like Romo - but Collinsworth is absolutely brutal for me.  He's one of the worst IMO.  It was on full display at the Super Bowl - I loved how he was beside himself that Pederson took chances on 4th down.  

I like guys who call out when people are stupid, refs or coaches. As I said, I listen very little so I may miss some idiot talk. 

Ok. So here's maybe a better idea. Instead of paying a QB $10 million dollars (much of which I'm guessing would count against the cap) to be a QB coach and possible part time player...

How about we just hire a real QB coach? One with some...I don't know EXPERIENCE working with QBs and not WRs? Maybe that's the best kind of guy to mentor a young QB?